U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:52 AM

10,623 posts, read 11,719,036 times

Advertisements

What ever you decide good luck to you and thank you for your service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 10:58 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,181,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
It sounds like Colorado might not be the place for me afterall. Since you live in the area, are there any places in the region that might fit the bill that you can think of?
Maybe Cheyenne, Wyoming--but, again, snowcover is irregular in winter, and jobs are tough. In the whole region, jobs are a really tough nut to crack. Most of the jobs are in the metro areas of Colorado, and you have to compete with a) legions of people who move there just like you with the "dream" of living in Colorado and b) with a lot of people from the rural areas of the Rocky Mountain West who wind up moving to the metro areas because there are so few jobs in the rural areas.

I also warn you to be cautious of the "Go ahead, move here, it's great"-type posts that seem pretty common on this forum. Many of those people are retirees with no need to make a living in the local economy, people who have a "dog in the fight" promoting Colorado for their own gain, or people trying to validate their own decision to move here. Be especially cautious of the ones who live in the metro areas and tell you about living in the rural areas--experience that they don't personally have. My opinions are based on decades of living and working in rural Colorado (with some stints, like most rural Coloradans, of having to work in the metro areas in order to make a living). I also research and anlayze the Colorado economy as part of my work.

And, as Jim9251 said, thank you for your service to our country.

Last edited by jazzlover; 07-05-2012 at 11:06 AM..

Old 07-05-2012, 11:02 AM

53 posts, read 79,359 times
Hmmm...

You're right - it's mostly that dream of living somewhere cool (climate) with a nice view of the mountains somewhere, making enough money to live moderately comfortably (and maybe find a Missus - lol). Mountains for hiking, maybe hunting, small-ish city for low crime, low congestion yet close enough to places with things to do.

Maybe it's time to re-evaluate.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:12 AM

2,395 posts, read 4,178,525 times
Yeah, what you described is what most everyone moving here is wanting as well. Which is mostly people pouring in from Texas and California right now

Mountain activities, snow, metro area, what about Anchorage?

Though I know nothing about the economy there

Old 07-05-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Yeah, what you described is what most everyone moving here is wanting as well. Which is mostly people pouring in from Texas and California right now

Mountain activities, snow, metro area, what about Anchorage?

Though I know nothing about the economy there
I had considered AK as well - but my knowledge and initial thoughts (both limited) were of high prices due to remoteness ( I don't want to pay $8/gal for milk). It would also make visiting family back in CONUS much more expensive. Long way from AK to OH. lol

I guess I can post this in the AK forums and see what they have to say.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 PM

20,378 posts, read 37,934,905 times
Go ahead and move here, it's great.

Talk to RyanEK9Freak via DM, he's in Afghanistan now, has lived in OH and here in COLO SPGS. He's adamant that COLO SPGS is his nirvana. You can also use the advanced search to find his postings.

Jobs are tight all over the nation, you may as well go where you're happy and see how it goes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:06 PM

Any idea what Federal employment opportunities are like in the area?

Old 07-05-2012, 01:17 PM

2,395 posts, read 4,178,525 times
In Colorado Springs the federal/military jobs are very abundant, even more so if you have a clearance

Old 07-05-2012, 01:18 PM

lol Well us Gunbunnies don't need a clearance, so I don't have one. I did apply for one, but it was denied, but that was before I joined. Dunno if it would matter now.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:58 PM

20,378 posts, read 37,934,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
lol Well us Gunbunnies don't need a clearance, so I don't have one. I did apply for one, but it was denied, but that was before I joined. Dunno if it would matter now.
It does help, but if you don't have one now, your employer has to get you approved if the job requires it.

Should be some Federal jobs here, and you do get some points for Veteran's Preference when it comes to hiring.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or