U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 08:45 PM

9,599 posts, read 17,713,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
Well, I'm not specifically looking for rural living - my idea of the perfect town/city is Columbus, OH. I lived there for 7 years. It didn't feel crowded or the like. It felt like a small town, but with all the amenities. I'm actually looking into Pittsburgh as I'm originally from SE Ohio and I have family in Tarentum - and I'm a Pittsburgh life-long sports fan (my first Pro baseball game was at Three Rivers).

waneroo, thanks for your post - I do think CO is out of the running now.

Now I'm looking at Alaska - that's my kind of climate!
Why anyone would want to live in alaska ill never understand. Maybe if you're a hermit or hate people but its just to isolated for me. Alaska only has a few nice months of weather annually & everything is quite expensive. I had a friend who lived their for yrs & was glad to move back to ca. I also would hate the endless summer days & winter nights. Will you be receiving a honorable or general discharge & what will your source of income be ? Checkout canon city, co. Its 45 mins south of co springs & 2 hrs south of denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 08:24 AM

53 posts, read 79,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Why anyone would want to live in alaska ill never understand. Maybe if you're a hermit or hate people but its just to isolated for me. Alaska only has a few nice months of weather annually & everything is quite expensive. I had a friend who lived their for yrs & was glad to move back to ca. I also would hate the endless summer days & winter nights. Will you be receiving a honorable or general discharge & what will your source of income be ? Checkout canon city, co. Its 45 mins south of co springs & 2 hrs south of denver.
It'll be an honorable. Medical Retirement.

I like the idea of Alaska due to the weather (I love cool-cold weather with snow), I love space and scenic views, I love going out in it... Etc.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:31 PM

4 posts, read 2,526 times
If you liked Afghanistan you might try Arizona. I am ex-midwest and hate humidity also. AZ is the 5th state I have lived in (including CO and CA), and I really enjoy the weather. Sure, it's the surface of the sun in August, but when everyone else is buried in snow, I'm riding my bike on a nice, sunny 75 degree afternoon.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katydid52 View Post
If you liked Afghanistan you might try Arizona. I am ex-midwest and hate humidity also. AZ is the 5th state I have lived in (including CO and CA), and I really enjoy the weather. Sure, it's the surface of the sun in August, but when everyone else is buried in snow, I'm riding my bike on a nice, sunny 75 degree afternoon.
I liked Afghanistan compared to Louisiana. The sun was still brutal (ask the sunburn I got... LOL). There is no way I'm relocating anywhere remotely considered "south" anything.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:34 AM

5,607 posts, read 20,194,257 times
Quote:
I liked Afghanistan compared to Louisiana. The sun was still brutal (ask the sunburn I got... LOL). There is no way I'm relocating anywhere remotely considered "south" anything.
I take it geography isn't your best subject. But that's what you're here for... right?

Have you ever been to Arizona before? Or New Mexico? Or southern California? Climates in the western US are COMPLETELY different from the humid eastern US. The desert southwest is more comparable to the middle east or central Asia than it is to the deep south US. In the western US, elevation is the no 1 biggest determinant of climate/ termperatures, not latitude. Every single state in the western US has an extremely diverse climate that can range wildly. For example, Phoenix and Flagstaff are about two hours away, and are so different from one another it is comparable to going from Mexico to Canada in that 2 hour drive.

I just did some research on the location and climate of Kabul, Afghanistan. Kabul's latitude is at 34.5 N. That is roughly about the same latitude as Albuquerque, NM or Prescott, AZ or Barstow, CA. Elevation of Kabul is about 5,876 feet. That's about the same elevation as Denver or Albuquerque. Annual precipitation is about the same as Denver. Season precipitation, rain and snowfall patterns of Kabul look VERY similar to Reno or Salt Lake City. Temperatures look very similar to Reno. From looking at pictures, the mountains and physical geography of Kabul look very similar to the Great Basin-- much more like the Great Basin, actually, than the Rocky Mountains.

IMHO, the following cities (and surrounding regions) are places you need to seriously consider. Which one exactly depends on where you can find a job and exactly where you want to be on the climate spectrum. But all of these have dry, western climates, some of them with more snow than others, all of them are surrounded by mountains, and all of them are at approx 4-5k ft in elevation:

Albuquerque, NM
Salt Lake City, UT
Reno, NV

Old 07-09-2012, 09:57 AM

I've not been to any of those states. I never looked into those states precisely because they're "desert" - I like cool-cold with precipitation. I like what most people hate. lol I love season-long snow coverage, I love when it rains... Partly cloudy days are spectacular.

I was about an hour south of Kabul and the whole time I was there, it rained twice - this was from January to July. There rest of the time it was ugly hot in the sun. That's why I was avoiding the southern dry states like NM and NV.

Again, I just want to stress that I say I liked Afghanistan's weather in comparison to Louisiana - I didn't really like Afghanistan's weather but it was an improvement over Fort Polk!

Old 07-09-2012, 10:20 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,107,644 times
Quote:
I've not been to any of those states. I never looked into those states precisely because they're "desert" - I like cool-cold with precipitation. I like what most people hate. lol I love season-long snow coverage, I love when it rains... Partly cloudy days are spectacular.

I was about an hour south of Kabul and the whole time I was there, it rained twice - this was from January to July. There rest of the time it was ugly hot in the sun. That's why I was avoiding the southern dry states like NM and NV.

Again, I just want to stress that I say I liked Afghanistan's weather in comparison to Louisiana - I didn't really like Afghanistan's weather but it was an improvement over Fort Polk!
The climate of Colorado and the Rocky Mountain states are extremely variable from location to location and year to year. The common theme is semi-aridity to aridity. If you dislike that, there will be few places in the region that you will like. As I've posted before, the absolute wettest places in Colorado--all in the high mountains where there are relatively few residents--get less annual precipitation than most Midwestern or Eastern locales. Few places of more than 10,000 people in Colorado get more than around 15" of annual precipitation, many less than 10"-12". Snowcover is small and fleeting in most of Colorado outside of the mountain areas. Even places like Denver or Fort Collins, which show average annual snow totals of around 50", get regular Chinook winds ("snow eater" being the translation of "Chinook") that regularly melt the snowcover in winter. Thus, most of the lower elevations of Colorado, especially east of the Continental Divide, are brown with little or no snowcover most of the winter.

The climate you describe as desirable for you is found mainly in the Upper Midwest and places like upstate New York and New England. Some places in Alaska qualify, as well, but living costs are astronomical there for people on fixed retirement incomes. Northern Wisconsin, Minnesota, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan would be top candidates for the climate that you say you want. Many people want to avoid those places for the same reason, so real estate prices may also be more moderate than in places like the Colorado mountains. A guiding decision for you might be which of those states, if any, have substantial exemptions for military pensions or property tax relief for veterans--those Upper Midwest states tend to have high income and property taxes otherwise.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:20 AM

2,395 posts, read 4,163,135 times
Salt Lake isn't anymore desert than Denver. Northern Utah is very similar to Colorado mountains. Southern Utah is desert, and the canyon lands that you're probably thinking of.

I considered Salt Lake when I was looking, but it's hard to overlook the 60% mormon population or whatever the figures are now of Utah

Old 07-09-2012, 02:54 PM

12,842 posts, read 24,488,520 times
Massachusetts doesn't tax military pensions, and I don't think Maine does. Doesn't make these cheap places to live (for other reasons) but it's a start.
Note to OP- Nevada is not considered a state in the "south," nor is New Mexico. They're the West.
(I could never live in the real South, like Louisiana. Humidity kills me, I get soggy and wither up and grind to a halt. Still, to say that Afghanistan was preferable is quite a statement on Louisiana!)

Glad the OP is home and starting the next part of life.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:43 PM

818 posts, read 1,843,573 times
If I were you I would definitely look at job availability, especially in the kinds of jobs you would be interested in.

Also, in finding a place, it may help to rank your list in order of importance, as well as things like enjoying rainy-ness and snowy-ness.

Colorado has mountains, job availability depending on what you want to do, and outside Denver and Bolder, a relatively low cost of living. But, seems like the weather is warmer and drier than you like. Altitude is also a bit higher, 5K to 8K feet.

If mountains are not as important, Minnesota and the Upper Midwest could be a good fit for you. If you can find a job there, Upstate New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine etc. may be a good fit for you, with mountains (albeit smaller than the ones in CO). MA could be good if you can tolerate a somewhat higher cost of living- live West of Boston (as possible) to get the most snow. Pittsburgh may be a good compromise too, but not as cold/snowy.

Like I said, it all depends on which of your criteria is most important because it does not seem like you will be able to get all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or