U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 05:23 PM

3,320 posts, read 915,017 times

Advertisements

Realistically, I'd look at the northern Front Range. The population is growing quickly, but has easier access to jobs, housing, elevation around 5,000 and slightly milder weather (very dry most of the year) with easy access to mountain activities.

Real estate is increasing quickly, but if you can get in, you can consider that as a long-term investment, anyway. I hear the job market is tight (I work from home), so I'd start with jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 04:25 AM

16 posts, read 38,132 times
Is it true that the snow melts pretty quickly there? I see a lot of pictures of Colorado with snow everywhere, but I've heard from a few people that the snow doesn't really build up. I'm curious especially about the areas north and west of Colorado Springs. Can someone comment on this for me please? Thanks.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:44 AM

12,840 posts, read 23,199,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnsky45 View Post
Is it true that the snow melts pretty quickly there? I see a lot of pictures of Colorado with snow everywhere, but I've heard from a few people that the snow doesn't really build up. I'm curious especially about the areas north and west of Colorado Springs. Can someone comment on this for me please? Thanks.
It falls, but doesn't usually accumulate deeply and sit all winter.

In Denver, it falls, starts melting, and just as it's about all melted away out of the shadows, it snows again. Colorado Springs proper gets less than Denver, but the west side of town holds onto it more. The north side gets more snowfall, and holds onto it longer as well.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:01 AM

2,771 posts, read 3,455,224 times
Look at the summaries here Colorado Climate Summaries
for Monument and Colorado Springs for average "snow depth". Note that because of some missing data that the true depths are probably more (but both winter and non-winter days are missing so don't overcompensate). I can't find Manitou Springs data at moment but thought it was out there, somewhere.

Here is a spot in Manitou Springs http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?co7309

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-15-2016 at 09:17 AM..

Old 09-16-2016, 10:50 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,668,301 times
Everybody has been pretty good at providing answers along the way. There are a few things I'd like to point out for consideration to help you narrow your search.

Distance - while mapquest or similar apps can quote a time, speed, distance estimate, it is an average formula for average road type, season, and conditionsand those can vary widely from reality. The more remote the locale, the more time you will need to add to those estimates. That can be a huge impact on realistic travel times.

Cheap land - certainly a relative term. Cheap land in Colorado is usually cheap for a reason whether it is location, water, wind, snow any any variety of factors. Educate yourself about a variety of things that may be an impact to this and dig beyond the realtors answers. Many realtors are equally new here and don't know as much as they should. Things to be concerned about in addition to all the things above would include soils (expansive, sand, rock) landslides, mine subsidence, underground water, water rights, mineral rights, the list can go on extensively. The higher population centers will have more info about these than the remoter places, but these can still be a concerns nearly everywhere.

Family - if you are moving to be relatively close to your kids and grandkids, you may have to wait until their assignments materialize to really see where you want to go. Travel impacts of geography and weather means that something 100 miles away as the crow flies could be a 3 hour drive.

Humidity - you have several times mentioned 80* as a desired temp target. Unless you are really up there in altitude, you will almost always have a chance of hitting 80* temps in most of Colorado. However, the relative average humidity of Colorado makes this 80* temp range feel a whole lot different than 80* and 80% humidity in Sioux Falls. This has been a somewhat wet and humid year and we are averaging 50-60% relative humidity. Winter will see this drop further with an average of 20-30%, even when it is snowing. We often drop down to 10%. This is how we get the champagne powder the skiers love. By contrast, I see Sioux Falls humidity averages 60-90% throughout the year. The heat index is quite a bit different here.

Good luck in your search

Old 09-24-2016, 05:25 PM

16 posts, read 38,132 times
I’m starting to think I was too hasty in wanting specific temperatures. As TCHP has pointed out, humidity is definitely a factor in how hot it feels. With this in mind, it certainly opens up more areas there in Colorado for me. I am currently looking more closely at the Florissant and Lake George areas, although I’m still open to just about anything at this point. I’m so thankful for this forum and those of you who contribute your knowledge. We went through part of Colorado back in February of 1995, on our way from Florida to Washington State. We came in on Interstate 70 and stayed in Denver overnight; then drove north on Interstate 25. So we didn’t have time to enjoy your beautiful mountains there. Then it started snowing so hard we had to stop in Laramie for the night, so we didn’t get far that day. We're planning to make a trip there next year to take a look around. I’m so eager to come back and get a closer look. I had thought Sioux Falls would be our last move, but I guess things don't always turn out like you expect. Moving to Colorado comes as a wonderful surprise.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:21 AM

53 posts, read 78,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
CybrSlydr are you in a place you are comfortable with for time being or are you still shopping for different / better?
Well, I ended up moving back in with my folks while I attended Community College. I just finished my Associates Degree in May and will be pursuing my Bachelors come Spring. Right now I'm taking a few courses (Environmental Bio and Calc 1) that will transfer so I can lessen the class load when I do transfer.

Now that I'm done with school here, I'm looking at moving back to Columbus with my younger brother while we both attend Ohio State.

Honestly, I'm open to move anywhere - my associates is in Applied Science (Geoscience Transfer) and I'll be getting my Bachelors in Geology. So I'm pretty sure that I'll -eventually- end up somewhere out west.

So, "comfortable" would be a good word I suppose. I'm certainly anxious to get out of here and get my life started. The biggest hurdle thus far is saving up money so I CAN move.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:02 PM

53 posts, read 78,978 times
So, here's a bit of an update thread.

Any State or Federal Park employees here? Wy/Co/Mt/Sd/Id/etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or