Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:01 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,457,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The OP has five days once arriving in Denver. He wants to see as much as possible.
The places I suggested are all within a 4 hour drive from Denver, with some nice scenery along the way. As an example, the Wet Mountain Valley only 40 miles farther than to Grand Lake. As I said, if the OP wants to be in the herd, that's his or her business. As the old Western saying goes, though, you can either eat dust or make dust. I prefer making it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 09:13 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,663,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmalk28 View Post
I am planning on taking a trip out of Denver up through Winter Park, Grand Lake and Estes park during the first week of September.

Will I be disappointed due to the awful fires? If so, am I better off going somewhere else.

I have never been to this area and have always wanted to take that trip.

Advice please?
You've been watching too much TV...

The total land area burned is tiny by comparison with the land area of the state and that area.

Unless there are big fires that flare up between now and then, it's not going to affect my plans to travel there in September.

Keep in mind, autumn starts to creep up on the high elevations in mid August and by early September will be kicking off. There is the odd chance of snow, but temps will be much cooler than say, down in Denver. So make sure you bring a jacket.

What you will see is a lot of dead brown trees as the pine beetle essentially killed off most of the lodgepole pines.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:25 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,663,718 times
I never understood the big deal about Red Rocks. There are rocks and they are red. But OK, if the tourists want to see them.

The RMNP will have cleared out a lot by the time the poster gets there in early September. Having been in the Colorado tourism business, Labor Day is the last big breath of summer and with that last big exhale the tourists clear out in a major way. Businesses and roads empty quickly as people get back to work and kids go back to school. September, along with the fall weather, is my favorite month in Colorado and one I always enjoy driving around the state in.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-11-2012 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Done, thank you.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:09 AM

812 posts, read 1,469,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Oh, for Pete's sake, jazz! It sounds like the OP is coming here for the first time. First of all, be a little nicer! Secondly, the itinerary he has planned sounds fine! RMNP is one of the great national parks.
Indeed. The point of responding to these type of posts is either to (i) attempt to actually be helpful/useful to the OP who is asking a legitimate/honest questions or (ii) use it as an opportunity to vent on whatever axe you happen to want to grind. Our resident expert on all things Colorado can be so remarkably informative when discussing certain topics, typically related to weather/climate matters, and so gratuitously negative on nearly every other topic.

This particular poster is like someone who's always dreamed of going to Hawaii. He has five days. He can afford a hotel room on Waikiki Beach and maybe a couple standard day-trips. There are 10,000 possible options of things to do/see in Hawaii during his five days there, but he has time/money to do roughly 8-10 of them. Does it make sense for the "locals" to scorn or deride him (and all Hawaii tourists) for ending up doing more "touristy" things during his five day stay in Hawaii? To my mind, no. Is it great that people who actually live in Hawaii can discover many thousands of the 10,000 awesome things about Hawaii? Clearly, yes. Is it necessary/appropriate for them to rub an enthusiastic tourist's (who may have been day-dreaming of their Hawaii trip for years or decades) nose in the doggy*** because their likely itenerary does not include those hidden waterfalls or killer waves the locals know about and the tourists don't? Necessary no, but typical of many locals with bad attitutes.

OP, go wherever you want, see whatever you want, be respectful of the locals even if they're giving you the proverbial finger. You'll have a great time, even if you only see/do a few things.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:33 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,457,417 times
Let's put this another way. If the OP had asked what restaurant to go to, chances are the recommendation would not be, "Well, go where everybody else goes, like Applebee's or McDonalds, because all those people going there means that it must be the best." Probably the recommendation would be to go to the out-of-the-way bistro with few waiting lines, great food and drink, and superb atmosphere, even if it was little harder to get to and not well-known. But, when I point out that there are nice places in Colorado besides the popular tourist traps--the tourist traps being akin to the chain fast-food joints--I get roasted for it.

Quote:
Our wretched species is so made that those who walk on the well-trodden path always throw stones at those who are showing a new road. - Voltaire

Old 07-11-2012, 12:04 PM

812 posts, read 1,469,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
And, there are the "secret" places that the locals like me know about--those I don't divulge.
You provided several nice alternative suggestions, but you also (i) thoroughly scorned the OP's planned itenerary, with which he is generally thrilled, hugely anticipating, and will likely enjoy immensely unless someone tells him its nothing but ****, and (ii) you're willing to say Appleby's is garbage but not what the "secret" good places are. I don't see the point of that other than to preen one's feathers and remind everybody who's the bestestest Colorado guy ever.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:18 PM

12 posts, read 37,117 times
[quote=delta07;25110008]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmalk28 View Post

I love Fort Collins! I wouldn't cut it, especially if you are young and enjoy good beer. I lived in Fort Collins for 5 years during college and although it's grown and changed a bit, it still has great character. Personally, if you are wanting to cut something from your trip, I'd cut the trip to Winter Park and Grand Lake. Both are pretty, but IMHO, not the best part of Colorado. Although I do think RMNP is crowded, it's definitely worth going to since it will be your first visit. You can have plenty of hiking and mountain scenery in the park without having to drive around the back side.

Again, what is your priority for visiting Colorado? Hiking during the day and staying in hotels/lodges at night, maybe grabbing a few pints, etc. Or are you wanting a back country camping experience?

I love the Salida/Buena Vista area that Jazzlover recommended too. It would make a worthy trip, but then you would probably want to cut most of your plans to N. Colorado. It just depends on what you want to see and do.

I want to hike during the day and grab few pints at night.. You hit it right on the money!

Old 07-11-2012, 12:34 PM

Stealth Rabbit I have 4 days I can only see so much. Colorado is clearly one of those places you keep coming back too! I am just trying to find a good way to plan 4 days and see some of the state!

Old 07-11-2012, 12:48 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,683,503 times
[quote=dmalk28;25121389]
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post

I want to hike during the day and grab few pints at night.. You hit it right on the money!
Are there other things you want to do in the cities of Fort Collins or Boulder besides hike and grab a few pints? Is this just a vacation to see Colorado, or are you wanting to see these cities to determine if they appeal to you for a possible move?

If it's the former, and you just want to hike and grab a drink, you can also do that in the Arkansas Valley, as others have suggested. I really love that part of Colorado and there is much more in the way of hiking that's right there close to town. Accommodations are fewer, but there's still several hotels to choose from in both Buena Vista and Salida. A new brewery, Eddyline, opened in the last few years in BV too, and my parents love it (they own a cabin about 30 miles from BV). There's also a great pizza place and brewery in Salida, Amicas. There are also several hot springs in the area to soak your muscles. Personally, I would probably choose this area to visit if my purpose were just to hike and see Colorado. I spent almost 4 years living in Fairplay, CO, so I know this area pretty well. It's amazingly scenic. As the sign entering Chaffee County states, "Now this is Colorado!"

However, if you are using this trip and a potential scouting opportunity for a future move, then I'd stick with your original plan. If you are also wanting to find more activity in the evenings, the bigger cities will provide that. The recent fires no doubt changed the landscape (as has the mtn. pine beetle), but it's still a very small portion of land that has been affected. It's beautiful country, regardless of where you visit. You will no doubt enjoy your trip!

Old 07-11-2012, 12:54 PM

delta07

This brings me back to square one...

When I first decided to go to Colorado I couldn't decide where to spend my 4 days. I felt that heading up to boulder and up into estes and the park was a nice loop. I am a 25 year old male i want to hike and see the state. I also want to have a good time, eat good food and have some beers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado