U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 12:35 AM

6,160 posts, read 9,454,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
In Utah they have actually changed a lot of the liquor laws to make it much more consistent with the rest of the USA and surprisingly to me there are a lot of attractive ladies in SLC and Park City(you better be ready to go Mormon though). I don't think it's for most people, but it's worth looking at just to see.
Nowhere can be as draconian as some of the places in the south are. Up until about a decade ago a lot of places in Texas were dry and forbid bars and restaurants from serving alcohol - that is unless the business was classified as a private club and you the consumer had a "Unicard" membership.

There are still vast swaths of dry land in the DFW metroplex and you can literally go for miles without seeing a liquor store. When you do find a wet area it will be a massive cluster of liquor stores like an oasis in the desert, and the stores all close at 9pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 12:51 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,029,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
vegaspilgrim hit the nail right on the head--there is the dream, then there is the reality. The reality is going to be much harsher for the current young generation than some of us who are of older generations--just like my parents, who came of age at the beginning of the Great Depression, that had it much tougher than did their parent's generation. The days of soft living, job security, relatively young retirement ages, not having to work in retirement--all of that is already pretty much over, especially for anyone under the age of about 40. In fact, a whole lot of things that the Boomers, and even their children, pretty much took for granted are going to be the things that the younger generation will be only able to read about in history books. That's the long overdue "reset" to reality that we're about to get.

What I continue to read in this forum is young people having unfulfillable dreams about living in working in Colorado that (as just one of many unrealizable fantasies), for most of them, simply is not going to happen. Unfortunately, they are often encouraged by older posters who just haven't gotten their arms around the idea that the world has changed and the younger generation is not going to have it as easy as they did. Some of those "oldsters" sit around with their trophy houses, fat pensions and 401k's and refuse to acknowledge that they are the last generation for a long, long time--if ever--who are going to have those blessings. Remember, the people who usually yell "Go for it" the loudest are usually the ones who don't have any of their chips on the table.
I think the boomers are going to go out with a boom and possibly take most of the country with it. I think they are the most destructive group in American history, self centered to a T.

However regardless of these egomaniac boomers and debt bingers, we still have to enjoy life and make the most of it down here in the younger generations.

I think if you are obsessed with skiing and want to hit the hills and you are 22-23, then it's best to do it now than later. I found in Vail, 90% of people didn't last past 2 seasons, that's a year and a half. It's a good life experience and then everyone moves onto their careers. Many people I worked with went on to be very successful by their early 30's. Everyone got their party time and 5 days a week of skiing in and let it run for a year and half. There is always the odd weathered 50 year old who is on his 30th season still living in employee housing, playing the guitar, drinking beer, making drunken passes on the token chunky 20 year old lesbian and out skiing in his old 1980's gear. Kind of like if the cast of "Hot Dog the Movie" never grew up and went and got real world jobs and now we are back 30 years later to film a sequel with the same cast. Most people don't want to be THAT guy so they get it out of their system and go back to the real world.

If you wait, you get older, might have injuries, you have responsibilities, it all gets tougher.

However 15 years ago when I graduated college and before I went to Colorado, life was different, the economy much better. You didn't have to worry about making it from month to month or whether you'd have a job or be able to find another. I had a very regimented life up to the end of college with almost no "fun", so living in Vail made up some for that.

Personally to me, if I was that age now in this economy and the possibility of the continuation of obama's utopian statist vision, Boulder or CO Springs? Who cares? It's all meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Colorado is Colorado. Suburban living on the prairie is suburban living on the prairie, whether you are at the bottom near CO Springs(lets not count desolate Pueblo) or up top near Ft. Collins. You get the best job you can and start building some hard assets and career skills so life isn't so hard when you are older. You ski when you can.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:42 AM

33 posts, read 48,259 times
I've read and done some thinking, I think basically anywhere around denver would be nice to live (and COS).

boulder would be ideal, being close to eldora, and offering night skiing.

the 2 current jobs i am going for offer excellent benefits and are salaried, the one I am post-interview has little overtime/.. probably no weekend hours... they stress employee freetime... :P

am i getting lucky? or is the tech market really that hot in Colorado?

PS: internships are KEY!
PPS: Eldora or any smaller resort that is close by would be super great too! i come from an area where the vertical drop is under 700 feet.. and the runs well under a mile long... seriously, anything consistently over a mile long in runs is GREAT... :P and steep!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:17 AM

2,438 posts, read 3,268,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirX252 View Post
the 2 current jobs i am going for offer excellent benefits and are salaried, the one I am post-interview has little overtime/.. probably no weekend hours... they stress employee freetime... :P

am i getting lucky? or is the tech market really that hot in Colorado?

PS: internships are KEY!
PPS: Eldora or any smaller resort that is close by would be super great too! i come from an area where the vertical drop is under 700 feet.. and the runs well under a mile long... seriously, anything consistently over a mile long in runs is GREAT... :P and steep!
Being in technology I've always found the tech market good. Technology skills are what I describe as hard skills. Not everyone can do those jobs. They always tell you about employee freetime to get you in the door. <big grin> But when deadlines loom or staff is short that all goes out the door. Hopefully you'll like what you do so you won't mind. I remember talking to a guy on a Sat. from the office about taking a job with us. He asked about over time and weekends and I said, oh we value employee's private time and it wasn't required. He very cleverly pointed out that this was the third Sat. he had talked to me in the office and I told him that was why we were hiring him so I didn't have to come in on Sat.

I grew up in Ohio where we skied on weekends and after school on workdays. The slope was probably 30 min. away and the parking lot was right next to it. Was alot of fun. When I moved to Colorado I thought I'd probably get into skiing again. The travel times into the mountains were very long, the logistics (parking, traffic jams, distance to slopes from parking) are very difficult, it is very expensive (lift tickets, food and housing) and it just wasn't fun any more. I don't think I've been skiing in well over 10 yrs. I don't think I minded the cost as much as the misery of time spent in the car/SUV going to and from in stop and go traffic and bad weather. Stressful and muscle cramping.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:28 AM

2,534 posts, read 5,820,857 times
Quote:
. . .
boulder would be ideal, being close to eldora, and offering night skiing.
. . .
The hours at Eldora:
Eldora faqs
Quote:
. . .What are your hours?
The lifts run 9am to 4pm Monday thru Friday, and 9:00 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekends and holidays. . .

Old 07-19-2012, 10:18 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,029,157 times
The only resort I know of with night skiing is Keystone and that is not every night during the season.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:11 PM

7,755 posts, read 16,459,702 times
mic111....I can relate to your post ( #24 ). One of my first ever jobs was working at a PA ski slope as a snow makers assistant. The hill was an easy 20 minute drive from my parents home where I was living at the time. As an employee I was given a free ski pass. I took advantage of that and skiied to my hearts content and had alot of fun and enjoyment in the process. A few years later I was living in Boulder, looking forward to some B-I-G time skiing in Colorado. Even though the actual skiing was MUCH better than skiing in PA, I skiied less than a half dozen times. The expense and the long drive in heavy traffic drained most of the fun out of it. All things considered, skiing in PA was alot more fun than skiing in Colorado...for me.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:09 AM

33 posts, read 48,259 times
Cosmic, would you say the length of actual snowboarding you got vs the short quick runs was more in colorado?
I would imagine.. yes.... maybe.. plus the extra terrain to develop skills (I want to do backcountry steeps after i get avi training).

oh btw, i think it's safe to say i landed a job, they will interview me in person after i get into colorado... woot!

I guess there is no viable night riding options, that is fine I guess. how is the public park system around cos/denver? (for inline speed skating).

Old 07-20-2012, 12:57 PM

7,755 posts, read 16,459,702 times
Noirx252....Back in my day on the slopes, snowboarding had not yet been popularized. I wasn't aware that such a sport even existed. The ski runs were ALOT longer in Colorado than they were in PA.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:15 PM

20,313 posts, read 37,815,914 times
Quote:
Cosmic, would you say the length of actual snowboarding you got vs the short quick runs was more in colorado?
I would imagine.. yes.... maybe.. plus the extra terrain to develop skills (I want to do backcountry steeps after i get avi training).

oh btw, i think it's safe to say i landed a job, they will interview me in person after i get into colorado... woot!

I guess there is no viable night riding options, that is fine I guess. how is the public park system around cos/denver? (for inline speed skating).
Great news about the job, keep us informed on your progress.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or