U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:49 AM

33 posts, read 48,278 times

Advertisements

I just recently graduated with a B.S. in computer science and am wondering how the tech job market is in Colorado.

Being out of state, I feel most of the jobs i apply to (in co) slip through my fingers due to me not being located there. I know the market isn't great, but I feel local-wise, I have no problem getting hits/interviews. (am I correct about the out of state thing? I did a search on google, but most of the posts relevant to this seem to be more than 2 years ago_

I just got an offer for a decent job, but it is local (NY), I have always wanted to live in Colorado, Utah, or California for the most part, (Colorado/Utah easily being my top 2)...

I enjoy the outdoors a lot, especially snowsports, I do an unbelievable amount of snowboarding in my free time... i also like to run, inline speed skate, play tennis and all that...

How good are my chances if I relocated first before lookomg for a job? (time span of 1-2 months.. budget would be tight.. ~2-3K, would have help with food/gas, the rest would be on my budget)

Am I being naive by passing up local offers?

Besides my hobbies, career path development is very important to me, and up to a certain point, $ too (not looking to be severely underpaid, but am willing to make sacrifices to make the move).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 08:20 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,116,625 times
Well, there are people who find jobs all the time, but it's a real uphill battle in Colorado. Fierce competition, not that many jobs, and an uncertain economy make it tough. I have a lot of friends with kids just graduating college right here in Colorado--most of those kids have high grades and graduate with "marketable" degrees--engineering, IT, etc. Probably 50%-75% of them wind up leaving Colorado to find jobs. That should tell you something. Even grads from nationally ranked Colorado institutions like Colorado School of Mines often have to leave the state.

What I see a lot of is "backwash"--people who leave Colorado after college to work somewhere else who, ten or twenty years hence, have enough experience on their resume to outcompete others for the better Colorado jobs that come available.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 AM

Not what I wanted to hear (lol)

Where did most of those kids go to get jobs?

Utah/California/Oregon/Washington?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Well, there are people who find jobs all the time, but it's a real uphill battle in Colorado. Fierce competition, not that many jobs, and an uncertain economy make it tough. I have a lot of friends with kids just graduating college right here in Colorado--most of those kids have high grades and graduate with "marketable" degrees--engineering, IT, etc. Probably 50%-75% of them wind up leaving Colorado to find jobs. That should tell you something. Even grads from nationally ranked Colorado institutions like Colorado School of Mines often have to leave the state.

What I see a lot of is "backwash"--people who leave Colorado after college to work somewhere else who, ten or twenty years hence, have enough experience on their resume to outcompete others for the better Colorado jobs that come available.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:20 AM

874 posts, read 924,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post

Why should someone who moves to Colorado to attend a nationally ranked institution expect that they should stay there for their careers? 75% of CU's undergrads are from out of state and when it comes time for the career fairs it's not just local companies that come recruiting. The same thing applies for Mines. With both being nationally ranked it should be a logical conclusion that their graduates would be offered jobs both locally, nationally, and globally. Kids who graduate from Princeton, Brown, etc. certainly don't hang around New Jersey and Rhode Island after graduating. Why should a graduate of CU or Mines expect any different?

To the OP, the job market is fierce in CO, but it's doable. You're also looking at a highly competitive industry, IT I'm assuming, with a lot of entrants both locally and nationally. CO is a highly desirable place to live after all. Colorado is also highly provincial in that most positions are attained via networking and it definitely means that what matters is, "who you know". (moderator cut) So, I would start hitting up those family, alumni, and social connections to see what you can come up with.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-12-2012 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: Don't go there.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:31 AM

If we are making a difference between IT and software development.... software development.

I've gotten some hits for jobs in CO, one I have turned down, one stopped responding after they realized I wasn't immediately available (internship)... one well.. let's say I wasn't too prepared for their practical skills test (way better prepared now due to internship experience)... not too excited about my choices, but really, colorado/utah/cali/oregon/washington beats ny for me.. at the moment...

Old 07-12-2012, 10:37 AM

874 posts, read 924,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirX252 View Post
If we are making a difference between IT and software development.... software development.

I've gotten some hits for jobs in CO, one I have turned down, one stopped responding after they realized I wasn't immediately available (internship)... one well.. let's say I wasn't too prepared for their practical skills test (way better prepared now due to internship experience)... not too excited about my choices, but really, colorado/utah/cali/oregon/washington beats ny for me.. at the moment...
Wait, you've had three possible job hits, including turning one down, and you're concerned about the lack of opportunity? That's a pretty good record for a short amount of time (which realistically is less than a year). Just get a position that gives you some career development and allows you to relocate out here. Once you've done that you can develop your local professional network and move on to a better position. If relocation is your main objective, focus on that and place career opportunity as secondary.

Last edited by wong21fr; 07-12-2012 at 10:54 AM..

Old 07-12-2012, 10:49 AM

2,441 posts, read 3,270,308 times
I think you'll be find and get a job pretty quick if you move here. Why? I used to do some hiring for technology positions, being an engineer myself. We often had to hire out of state people due to not having qualified people locally. I've not read of technically qualified people languishing about in the job market here. Everyone I know in the technology field is employed. When people lose jobs due to companies being bought they seem to find new ones quickly. You could come on out and pick up something as a temp or contractor right away and then look for something permanent. I think that there is a good chance you'll find something permanent right away.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:20 AM

6,165 posts, read 9,461,126 times
Quote:

Honestly, if you want a very hot development market (no pun intended), Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin, and Houston are considerably bigger players than Denver is. There are jobs here but Denver's a niche market when you compare it to the aforementioned Texas metros.

I moved to Dallas a week after I graduated from Colorado State in Dec. of 1998. Started looking to come back here in 2001. Granted I wasn't searching intensively, but it took me 10 years to get back. I lucked into a cold call from a Denver-based recruiter. The gig he paired me with didn't work out but I still talk to him occasionally.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:21 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,274,712 times
Quote:

Silicon Valley or Northern Virginia.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:25 PM

Looks like I have several interviews lined up, is Colorado Springs any different from Denver? (I have read all the threads, but am wondering as of now, 2012).

I think it'd be a nice place to live, the only con being, the increased distance from the slopes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or