U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2012, 01:49 PM

50 posts, read 98,827 times

Advertisements

I recently heard a KUNC radio program about housing development in wildfire-prone areas. The story talked about a Red Zone map which shows habitated areas in fire danger. I was only able to find one map, and it's not detailed enough to show which parts of the Denver metro might be in danger - the C470 loop isn't even shown. Does anyone know of a better source for these maps? Here's what I've found so far:
Red Zone: Policies Put More Coloradans at Risk | KUNC
GIS in State Government, Volume 1: Colorado - Interface Areas of High Wildfire Risk in Colorado

I've been living in the Denver area for a year, after 10 years in New Orleans. We made a conscious choice to move here to be closer to our families in Nebraska and Montana, and to get out of the South and hurricane country. Being a veteran of Hurricane Katrina and other storms, I have a strong desire to not live anywhere where evacuation and the possibility of utter devastation of your entire community is a necessary part of life. The recent Waldo Canyon fire has been eye-opening. Our jobs are on the west side of town, so we've been thinking of Lakewood or Littleton as likely places to purchase our first home. It looks like some areas of those cities may be in the Red Zone, however!

Can anyone help characterize the west side of the metro with respect to fire danger? Specifically INSIDE the C-470 loop. We have no interest in the foothills as a place to settle down and sink roots.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 03:33 PM

12,842 posts, read 24,478,691 times
I can't help with your question, but am willing to bet N.O. is going to have more trouble than Denver and inner suburbs ever would. Glad you got out.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:10 AM

33 posts, read 48,333 times
Looks like basically where you have trees, you have a fire risk. C-470 is pretty much a barrier between suburban development and where the trees begin to the west.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:49 PM

50 posts, read 98,827 times
Is there anyone who looked at my second link who has something helpful to contribute? I'm aware that trees = fire risk. I'm looking for a better version of the map posted in that second link. I would think this would be very helpful to a lot of Colorado residents looking to make real estate purchases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or