Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 04:36 PM

3 posts, read 16,263 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We are planning a driving holiday for later this year and would like some help/suggestions as to what we can do. We also have some questions about getting around in winter.

Our plan at the moment is to fly into Denver on the 18th December and drive back to San Francisco. We need to be there by the 11th January.

This is our rough itinerary/some things we would like to do:

Couple of days in Denver
Pikes Peak - Santa's workshop
Vail/Aspen - just for a look
Christmas somewhere with lots of snow (that doesn't cost lots of $$)
Mesa Verde NP
then over to the Grand Canyon
We need to arrive in Vegas on the 3rd Jan

I have found a couple of websites that have drive times between the cities, but how much longer does it take in Winter?

Are we better off doing a day trip to Pikes Peak or Aspen, rather than trying to drive between the two (I guess we would take Hwy 24) given that we will then head south again towards Mesa Verde?

Are there any main roads that will definitely be closed that we should know about? I realise it will depend on the weather at the time...

We don't want to spend too long in the car at any one time given we will be travelling with a baby.

Please, any advice or ideas greatly appreciated

Chris & Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 11:01 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,345,034 times
I-70, the main east-west road across Colorado is open except under the most extreme conditions.

The only place you can be guaranteed snow at Christmas is high in the mountains, and unless you can unearth some bargain, it will be quite expensive at that time.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:55 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,398,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I-70, the main east-west road across Colorado is open except under the most extreme conditions.

The only place you can be guaranteed snow at Christmas is high in the mountains, and unless you can unearth some bargain, it will be quite expensive at that time.
I hate to differ with you here, Kat, but those of us who have to drive I-70 from Grand Junction to Denver on a regular basis know that it is closed quite a bit. Unfortunately the closures are not usually from "extreme" winter driving conditions, but because of the number of EXTREMELY DUMB drivers who can't cope with winter driving conditions. They manage to cause umpteen accidents that wind up closing the road for hours at a time on a pretty regular basis in the winter.

The second part of your answer is quite true. Personally, the LAST places I would go in Colorado for ANYTHING, ANYTIME are the places the OP listed--with the exception of the Mesa Verde, which is worthwhile. The rest of it is either "big city" or tourist clap-trap. But that's just my preference.

Driving in Colorado in winter means being prepared for winter driving conditions. Duh! The roads may be dry and clear or they may be a holy mess of snow, ice, and blizzarding. One can hope for the former, but should be prepared for the latter. Also, driving just about anywhere in Colorado means "spending too long in the car." Driving distances are measured in number of hours. And from Denver to San Francisco is a lot of hours--even if driven directly.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:49 PM

18,172 posts, read 25,724,930 times
I suppose Mesa Verde National Park is very pretty in its own way in the winter, but I wouldn't advise it for one reason-availability of access to ALL the ruins. I've been there several times, took friends from Nebraska there just a couple years ago. What a lot of people don't know is the National Park Service years ago had to cut back on services everywhere, not just Mesa Verde. And with what is going on in our country's economy, they might be more short staffed than usual this coming tourist season, although the state workers might help out on the main loop entrance regarding snow removal.

Technically, it IS open year round, but in snowstorms they will not hesitate to close the park. The roads inside are narrow, the main road being a one way loop. It sits around 7500 feet, and it can really snow in Cortez at times, trust me. The elevation in Cortez is 6600 feet, and there is a pretty good climb to get to the main features of the park. You will be able to see the main features, like Spruce House, but there is so much more to the park than just that. If you do decide to visit, call up the park for all the particulars on it. Lodging is not a problem, there are plenty of good motels in Cortez.

But Mesa Verde National Park is a beautiful place. It is one of the crown jewels of the National Park System.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-14-2009 at 07:05 PM..

Old 05-16-2009, 03:25 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,609,805 times
Colorado I don't recommend for a driving tour during the winter. Much of Colorado "opens up" in the late spring to fall time once the massive curtain of snow lifts from the state. Many of the great places in Colorado are just not accessible during the winter.

Weather conditions can be brutal and a reliable car with good snow tires is recommended. Also having survival gear and good winter clothing is a given. I'd also recommend not traveling when winter storms hit. It's not worth traveling and fighting the weather on bad days. Best to stay in at a hotel and let the weather pass. There were winters in Vail from mid Dec to mid Jan there was little snow and other times it snowed heavily every day. So I would not get too fixed in your travel dates and be prepared to change itineraries.

Also keep in mind Independence Pass is closed during the winter and the only way to access Aspen is from the west on Highway 82 from Glenwood Springs.

Keep in mind also highways on maps in Colorado look straighter than they are in real life so be prepared for lots of up and down elevation changes in the thousands of feet and many turns. Even I-70 from Denver to Grand Junction has many huge elevation changes and bends in the roads.

Christmas is one of the most popular times in ski areas so it will be expensive. Vail and Aspen are scenic at winter, but there is little to do other than ski, shop and eat at that time of the year and bring plenty of $$$$$$.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:53 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,345,034 times
I would agree with the two above posts. Also, unless your kids are die-hard Santa fans, I'd bag the Santa's workshop trip. My kids were born and raised here and we never went, not to say that it's worthless.

If you want to try winter in the Rockies and don't want to ski, you could go ice skating at Keystone Lake. It's a huge lake and lots of fun to skate on. Evergreen Lake, closer to Denver, may not be frozen solid enough for ice skating then. You'd probably do well to stay in Denver, unless you have a friend with a condo or find some other extreme deal.

We went to Mesa Verde once at Spring Break (last wk in March), and the whole park was not open yet.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:59 PM

3 posts, read 16,263 times
Thanks for your replies

We realise that we will have to be pretty flexible with our plans as it is all dependant on the weather at the time. And knowing our luck it will be extreme one way or the other. (Last time we came over to the US New York had the warmest winter for years, and LA had the coldest!)

I'm not too keen on skiing, mainly because I will have our baby with me and at only 1yo she won't be too good on skis!. We have decided now to give Aspen/Vail a miss, and thought we might try for Christmas in Telluride. We can still get some fairly cheap accom there for the Christmas period.

We have a good 3-4 weeks to make the drive to SF so if we can drive for a couple of hours a day (weather permitting) surely that will give us enough time to get there?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:02 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,968,186 times
Wink Nothing like a road trip

Yes, with 3-4 weeks alloted it is possible to drive from Denver, CO to San Francisco, CA. As others have mentioned, weather is the wild card you can prepare for but never know. In this regard, have proper clothing, extra food, water, etc., and most of all a vehicle designed for winter driving. Four wheel drive preferably, at minimum front wheel, with in either case good snow tires. You theoretically could be driving in snow all the way from Denver into Las Vegas, NV, although more probably stretches over Colorado mountain passes, maybe Mesa Verde, and at the Grand Canyon. So, as you said, be flexible, as your drive might be relatively quick and easy, or slow, with a great deal of due caution at times.

For snow, the San Juan mountains of southwestern Colorado are one of your best bets. It snows a lot there at higher elevations. I wouldn't imagine Telluride, CO to be particularly inexpensive, but if you can swing it the location is quite picturesque. This also applies to Ouray, CO, and with no skiing there it may prove more of a bargain. Or if you want to be way up in the mountains, possibly Silverton, CO. An issue with any of these places is how exactly you propose to get from there around over to Mesa Verde National Park. These areas are most easily approached from the north. Which could afford you the opportunity to take the scenic drive from Denver on I-70, passing directly through Vail, CO, and perhaps even with a relatively short detour into Aspen, CO. If you have never seen them, it would be worth it. If, for instance, staying in Ouray, the quickest, and very scenic, route south is on US 550, through Silverton to Durango, CO. Highly recommended, but if the roads less than clear (as they may be), or a possible snow storm, such a route would be, uhm, questionable. Then only for the practiced, adventurous, and possibly foolhardy. If in Telluride, the route south through Rico, CO towards Cortez, CO only in degree less challenging. In short, if playing it safe then in looping all the way around through Utah, and even this possibly snow packed, if less mountainous. This not to discourage you, only, well, you may discover as much for yourself.

Unless the roads clear, you may not want to make the day trip to Colorado Springs, CO and Pikes Peak from Denver, and back. You could opt to continue south on I-25, turning west at Walsenburg, CO on US 160 to find yourself at last in Durango, Mesa Verde NP, and Cortez. You might find this route less troublesome due snow. Maybe not. If the weather inclement, I-25 is no picnic. But this is in some respects a less mountainous route, even with a pass into the San Luis valley, and that of Wolf Creek Pass, out of South Fork, CO, not to be taken lightly. Nevertheless, easier in some respects, and at times scenic.

Mesa Verde NP would be worth visiting. While not fully open or accessible in the winter, this also a quiet time when you are more likely to have portions of it to yourself. Plus a new snow can highlight the trees and cliffs in a pleasing way. It is situated in a beautiful area, which may not be guessed by the approach from the highway. If you actually have the opportunity to climb down into one of the buried stone and timber kivas, you will never forget the experience.

The north rim of the Grand Canyon could be considered the better side for various reasons, but also closed come winter, unless you want to cross country ski in or something. So the south side it is. I've never been to that side, so someone else can tell you how wonderful it is. But if you've never seen the Grand Canyon in person, worth it. A bit of a drive from anywhere you might be staying; the Park Service does have a lodge there which may be open in winter. Otherwise, probably Flagstaff, AZ, which offers by far the best selection of accommodations. And if in Flagstaff, do yourself a favor and take a short detour south to visit Sedona, AZ. Take your camera. Flagstaff does receive snow, but the roads probably good. You might reach Sedona most easily via I-17, but taking AZ 89A through Oak Creek Canyon the scenic and preferred option.

From there you will presumably be taking I-40 west towards Las Vegas. The preferred route from Kingman, AZ on US 93 will take you over historic Hoover Dam, thence directly into Las Vegas. Due heightened security and fear, know the Hoover Dam option may have you and your vehicle searched prior to crossing the dam. If you wish to dispense with such annoyances, shortly north of Kingman you can turn west on AZ 68, through Laughlin, NV, thence on US 95 north into Las Vegas.

Depending on the route, Las Vegas into San Francisco will probably offer dry, or only wet, roads. If by now more adventurous, with perhaps a taste for snow, you might venture through Death Valley NP, thence north on US 395. Lake Tahoe would be nice, as well.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:40 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,398,390 times
Southwest Colorado can be a winter wonderland around Christmas--or not. Unlike northwest Colorado, which gets fairly regular snowfall in early winter in most years, southwest Colorado snowfall can be quite fickle in early winter. In fact, December is typically one of the driest months of the year in southwest Colorado, with January sometimes not far behind. February-April are the big snow months in southwest Colorado. Of course, there are exceptions from year to year.

Accommodations might be "cheap" in Telluride for Christmas, but nothing else likely will be--they have to gig the Christmas vacationers as hard as possible. Telluride is in a beautiful setting, but I wouldn't give 10 cents for "vibe" of the town. Typical yuppie and trustifarian-infested resort. My ex-wife's relatives grew up there back when it was a mining town. They don't even like to go back there to visit now.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:29 PM

532 posts, read 1,563,886 times
eek your way into lake city and hang out there the whole time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado