U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:43 PM

2,798 posts, read 3,503,286 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the additional observations Dgonative and I read your related links. Here are my further quick thoughts (I can't spend more on it right now).

I first saw this.

Quote about the current population survey which I believe to be the basis for the numbers I quoted:

The decennial census includes both institutional and noninstitutional group quarters and counts individuals as residing at their “usual residence.”

About Poverty: Description of Income and Poverty Data Sources - U.S Census Bureau

Unless you only count people at their single / usual residence you doublecount and distort the dataset. This is important for both college students and second home owners.

What is the usual residence for college students? Apparently today's answer is anywhere they spent the last 2 months when surveyed. I guess that is true for second home owners for wherever they are surveyed too.

https://askacs.census.gov/faq.php?id=5000&faqId=915

A long time ago it was different. You couldn't get to vote in the state (on at least the one I was in) where you went to college if you were still a dependent of out of state parents.

It is a complicated story. I'll will agree that is more complicated than I originally presented. I stated that before and well do so again and leave it up to individuals what big picture perspective to take on the numbers such as they are (somewhat cloudy). My original view was based on my past experience with how they handled residency in the past and how I thought they handled that data. (I still don't know if I fully understand what they actually do and if they are consistent about it.)

Durango is still fairly low on the spectrum of those with household incomes over 100k compared to most of the other cities mentioned even with tentative adjustments. I wouldn't try (now) to split hairs on the close calls.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-19-2012 at 08:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 11:35 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,582,631 times
Durango Cost of Living comparison to the US National average. It's really only the cost of housing that is higher than average and that skews it. When you discount housing, it's no more expensive than most anywhere else in the country.

Local Cost Of Living Data for Durango Colorado

Old 07-20-2012, 01:19 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,183,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Durango Cost of Living comparison to the US National average. It's really only the cost of housing that is higher than average and that skews it. When you discount housing, it's no more expensive than most anywhere else in the country.

Local Cost Of Living Data for Durango Colorado
So, aside from the largest single expense that most people must bear, and one of the most basic, Durango's cost-of-living is not higher than the rest of the country. That's not saying much, now is it?

Old 07-20-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
So, aside from the largest single expense that most people must bear, and one of the most basic, Durango's cost-of-living is not higher than the rest of the country. That's not saying much, now is it?
It is typical of virtually anyplace that's considered "desirable" to live. Durango is a bargain even considering housing compared to living in the NYC, Balt-Wash DC areas, even Denver. There are hundreds of places like that in the US. Many people act like everything in Durango is so expensive and it's just not so. It's housing that drives it there and if you are coming from a higher cost area, Durango is a housing bargain.

Here is Denver's comparison to the national average. It's housing costs are twice the national average, Durango's are only 10% more than the national average. It's all relative to what you're used to, nothing more.

Local Cost Of Living Data for Denver Colorado

I currently live in an area where my housing costs are 39% above the national average. Durango sounds like a pretty good housing deal for me.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:57 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,497,453 times
From reading this forum, it seems like many of us who came to Colorado came from places where housing was more expensive than Colorado housing, so naturally to us, Colorado housing seems like a pretty good deal. On the other hand, those who grew up in Colorado will have a tendency to compare todays prices with the prices of a bygone era in Colorado, so naturally for them, Colorado housing seems pricey. Truth is...terms like affordable and expensive are relative terms, based on the experience of the person throwing those terms around.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:10 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,183,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
From reading this forum, it seems like many of us who came to Colorado came from places where housing was more expensive than Colorado housing, so naturally to us, Colorado housing seems like a pretty good deal. On the other hand, those who grew up in Colorado will have a tendency to compare todays prices with the prices of a bygone era in Colorado, so naturally for them, Colorado housing seems pricey. Truth is...terms like affordable and expensive are relative terms, based on the experience of the person throwing those terms around.
Thing is, if you are a billionaire from somewhere else, Aspen--one of the highest priced places in the US for residential real estate, may seem quite "affordable." But, if you have to rely on a local income, then Aspen's real estate prices are as unaffordable as trying to live on Mars. Durango is not at that extreme, but it's a pretty difficult place to live if you have to pay the going price for real estate and work for the going wage in the local economy. In my frame of reference, the comments from out-of-staters with a big nest egg and not dependent on the local economy I find pretty much irrelevant when it comes to the Durango cost of living. One comment about the "bygone era" in rural areas of Colorado, such as Durango: local incomes have not been very good there for most of the last several decades. The difference between those "bygone eras" and recent years is that housing costs actually bore some relation to the incomes available to local residents working in the local economy back then--that IS pretty much bygone, and that is really too bad.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
One comment about the "bygone era" in rural areas of Colorado, such as Durango: local incomes have not been very good there for most of the last several decades. The difference between those "bygone eras" and recent years is that housing costs actually bore some relation to the incomes available to local residents working in the local economy back then--that IS pretty much bygone, and that is really too bad.
You can substitute the name of virtually any of hundreds of towns in the US for "Durango" and still be accurate. Durango is not unique in that respect and is simply a symptom of our times. Low wage capitalism is the new normal and it's not pretty for anybody but the employers.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:13 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,347,074 times
The price of housing in Durango like everywhere else is perfectly affordable to people buying homes there. Every home gets sold to a buyer who can afford it. It would not be possible for it to be otherwise.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:05 PM

2,798 posts, read 3,503,286 times
If you look at the ratio of median average household yearly income / median price of home sales as of 2011, it looks like this for a couple handfuls of examples:

Durango about 14%
Aspen 10%
Glenwood Springs 18%
Grand Junction 21%
Broomfield 33%
Colorado Springs 29%
Evergreen 24%
Pagosa Springs 20%
Delta 24%
Cortez 28%

Durango 2nd worst of 10 examples.

Bayfield extra: 23% (or about 65% better than Durango's ratio). There is one reason for "sprawl" to Bayfield.

(Differences in city demographics affect the income level and the housing market of course.)

Old 07-20-2012, 09:27 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,497,453 times
jazzlover wrote: The difference between those "bygone eras" and recent years is that housing costs actually bore some relation to the incomes available to local residents working in the local economy back then--that IS pretty much bygone, and that is really too bad.

For better or worse.....things change. We can graciously accept the changes or bittery resist, and pine for the way things were. One choice leads to happiness and well being, while the other choice leads to chronic unhappiness and health problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado