U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 08:51 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
jazzlover wrote: The difference between those "bygone eras" and recent years is that housing costs actually bore some relation to the incomes available to local residents working in the local economy back then--that IS pretty much bygone, and that is really too bad.

For better or worse.....things change. We can graciously accept the changes or bittery resist, and pine for the way things were. One choice leads to happiness and well being, while the other choice leads to chronic unhappiness and health problems.
Coz, I agree and let me be the first to say that I do NOT mind paying "more" (however anyone calculates it) for the house I live in now versus what was available in the "good old days" that we romanticize. For starters, there's the indoor plumbing that's gleaming clean, sanitary and empties itself...no more stinko chamber pots to carry out of the bedroom each morning; no more wee-hour tiptoeing out to the privy on bitter cold nights. There's screens in the windows on nice days to keep the bugs out, and a/c for really hot days. Rain gutters remove the rainfall, rather than let it soak into the ground and then into the clapboard siding causing it to rot - or mildew. And the roof doesn't leak either. Washer and dryer that eliminate those old scrub boards or wringer washers, no more clothes lines. Dishwasher - one of the best things ever invented. Refrigerators instead of those old "ice boxes" that I recall one Uncle having. No more wood-fired cook stoves and ovens, I recall those too. Insulation for comfort. Gas heat vice feeding a coal or wood stove during winter nights. Garage for my chariot. Running water. Electric lights. There are old folks still alive in rural parts of the nation who remember all those delightful aspects of the good old days. My late mother was one of them.

So yeah, housing costs more per whatever, but so what, we get a lot more in a house today than we did way back when.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 09:02 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,021,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You know what Dreison, as much as I DETEST Colorado, after taking a "google maps streetview" of Ward, I gotta say, it looks like my kind of place. Not much private land to buy though, I'll bet prices are sky-high.

Thanks for sharing this! I might have to take a trip there one of these days.

20yrsinBranson
There is land and lots around there to buy and I'd say it's middle of the road, not dirt cheap, but not Aspen prices either. I think you would need an above average income to live there reasonably. Your average home around there goes for $350K to $600K. There are some smaller older homes closer to $200K.

The main complaint or issue my relatives always talked about was the Front Range looks closer than it is and especially in winter, doing simple things like getting milk or gas for the car is not always quick trip, especially if you are off the main highway.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:29 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,170,969 times
I have the best of both worlds,live in Montezuma County and make all my money in LaPlata county and bring it home to spend.Lived in LaPlata county for 30 years till I got sick of it.all my neighbors in thier weeny 3 acre subdivided lots showed up at the public hearing to deny my application to let my sister put her mobile home on my 14 acres, we won but were hated for it so just sold and left.I was there befofe any of those out of state newcomers.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:56 AM

2,771 posts, read 3,457,677 times
On income / housing cost ratio Mancos ties Cortez as best on the western slope of those checked at 28%.

Gas, other transportation costs and time spent driving offset the advantage some but for folks who don't want to live in the main town it is a decent available option.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:48 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,575,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
There is land and lots around there to buy and I'd say it's middle of the road, not dirt cheap, but not Aspen prices either. I think you would need an above average income to live there reasonably. Your average home around there goes for $350K to $600K. There are some smaller older homes closer to $200K.
This would be my experience. Having bought 5 acres on the Florida Mesa for a reasonable price with an already drilled well & cistern installed, I'm very pleased with how inexpensive the property was. It's within 7 miles of downtown Durango, 1.5 mile drive to DRO, and a 4 mile drive to the new hospital. After researching the housing market in Durango, I concluded that it would be cheaper to build than to try to buy a resale. Building is way down and builders have cut prices to get any business they can at the moment. The result will be a custom designed small Timber Frame home that should cost no more than $1,000 annually to heat & cool. In addition, current mortgage rates that are one of the lowest in recorded history (my history anyway) make the financing cheap. Seems like a win-win to me.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:24 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,255,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
In addition, current mortgage rates that are one of the lowest in recorded history (my history anyway) make the financing cheap. Seems like a win-win to me.
That's something that gets lost in the comparison of home prices to incomes. The cost of a home with a 4% mortgage is considerably different than one at 7+% as it was when I bought my first house. I'm sure one reason home prices haven't come down more in that area is incomes of buyers have remained stable while mortgage rates have dropped.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:46 PM

242 posts, read 365,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You know what Dreison, as much as I DETEST Colorado, after taking a "google maps streetview" of Ward, I gotta say, it looks like my kind of place. Not much private land to buy though, I'll bet prices are sky-high.

Thanks for sharing this! I might have to take a trip there one of these days.

20yrsinBranson
Well, the way I heard the story is.......Ward was a ghost town, it was bought up by an Army regiment right after they got back from Viet Nam. Really nice folks, they all chip in and help each other out with various projects, a strong sense of community. When I was there, they did not skimp on hospitality. They treated this old Jarhead like I was one of their own.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 952 times
Default Ignacio

I've been living in Ignacio for a while and the spring trafffic is picking up. The locals seem to be alright with hauling water- the folks I've talked to say that its only been the last 5 years that they've had to do so. So mich for sustainable living...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado