Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:39 AM

68 posts, read 123,862 times

Advertisements

I would say that actually going and spending at least a week as the OP said is a great thing to do. I have wanted to move to Colorado since I was a little kid, I'm 46 now. I have been married since I was 21 and my wife never would entertain the idea of moving because of the kids. Now that the kids are gone, we are looking at Colorado to spend the next part of our life in. I have researched and researched Colorado Springs for at least a year before we went up there last month and we had it set in our mind that Springs was the place. Well, once we actually got there and toured the city, we decided it was not for us and to look at other areas of CO. It is a beautiful city with tons of things to do, but it's just not for us. After all the research online, talking to Realtors, getting stuff in the mail, reading things here, there is no substitute for actually going and visiting the places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 05:27 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,990,879 times
Thomas M wrote: there is no substitute for actually going and visiting the places.

Best advice on the forum!

Old 07-16-2012, 10:22 PM

486 posts, read 1,496,419 times
Well I agree whole-heartedly that Colorado is the BEST place to live... I even gave up living in Canada (with universal healthcare!!!!) to live in Colorado. It's very hard not to have free healthcare, but Colorado is worth it.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:59 PM

350 posts, read 847,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
Well I agree whole-heartedly that Colorado is the BEST place to live... I even gave up living in Canada (with universal healthcare!!!!) to live in Colorado. It's very hard not to have free healthcare, but Colorado is worth it.
What made Colorado a better choice than Alberta? Warmer weather? They just seem really similar to me so I'm curious.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:45 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
What made Colorado a better choice than Alberta? Warmer weather? They just seem really similar to me so I'm curious.

Guns.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Guns.
Um, no.

Warmer weather's more like it. I hate winter!!!

Old 07-17-2012, 10:31 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
Um, no.

Warmer weather's more like it. I hate winter!!!

That's the only reason I don't and never could live in Canada. I'll be damned if I'm surrendering my firearms.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:06 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,461,631 times
Quote:
That's the only reason I don't and never could live in Canada. I'll be damned if I'm surrendering my firearms.
Not to mention the fact that Canada, unlike the United States, has considerably tightened immigration requirements. Many, if not most US citizens now no longer qualify to emigrate to Canada permanently.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas M View Post
I would say that actually going and spending at least a week as the OP said is a great thing to do. I have wanted to move to Colorado since I was a little kid, I'm 46 now. I have been married since I was 21 and my wife never would entertain the idea of moving because of the kids. Now that the kids are gone, we are looking at Colorado to spend the next part of our life in. I have researched and researched Colorado Springs for at least a year before we went up there last month and we had it set in our mind that Springs was the place. Well, once we actually got there and toured the city, we decided it was not for us and to look at other areas of CO. It is a beautiful city with tons of things to do, but it's just not for us. After all the research online, talking to Realtors, getting stuff in the mail, reading things here, there is no substitute for actually going and visiting the places.
Thomas M: just curious what it was about the Springs that changed your mind being there in person? And what other areas in CO are you focusing your search?

Old 07-20-2012, 05:26 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,617,892 times
Quote:
Don't take anyone's word for it. This isnt' meant to be a bash on anyone, I just keep seeing these same tired posts over and over (and espcially when we have a search function, it's unecessary).

Here's the thing, Colorado is one of those states where you fall in love instantly, or you hate it with every fiber of your being. You're gonna be one or the other, and nobody can convince you otherwise until you experience it for yourself. If you wanna know what Denver is like, get on a plane and go vist for a few days. Wanna see if Colorado Springs is as conservative as people say it is? Spend a week there. See for yourself, and make the decision based on what YOU think is best for you.

Contrary to what some people would lead you to believe, you're welcome here, bring your dog, your husband, kids and your money. Just don't EVER come here and complain that it's not like where you came from, because if it were that much better, you'd still be living there, right?

This isn't the lush, green east, we don't have natural kentucky Bluegrass and deciduous trees (unless someone planted them) WE don't have much water. But beauty is in the eye of beholder. What we Do have, is awe enspiring natural scenery, limitless outdoor opportunnities (sp?), no fleas, very little to no mosqitoes, no humidity, tons of sunshine, I could go on forever.

Is it for everyone, no of course not. My ex wife absolutley hated it here, cause she was a spoiled rotten brat from connecticut that demanded lush green rolling hills and hardwood forests, something that Colorado simply can't provide, so if that's what you want, look elsewhere, you wont be happy.

All things considered (except for some ridiculous taxes and fees here), I love this state, and wouldn't think of living somewhere else. Stay for awhile, and I hope you come to the same conclusion.

/Ryan

Other than your bashing of your ex-wife...this sums it up pretty good..except there are fleas and mosquitos..

Colorado is the best state...yes it has it's problems but I consider myself lucky I grew up there and one way or another I will be back. I miss it with every fiber of my being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado