U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 01:53 PM

2,395 posts, read 4,160,231 times

Advertisements

Everyone wants this view out their window and want's to pay next to nothing for it, with plentiful jobs, shopping, etc.. near by

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 02:03 PM

10,868 posts, read 41,128,193 times
What the OP wants can be done ... on a multi-million dollar budget. I've seen properties in the Evergreen area, for example, that would meet the requirements. Acreage, water, isolation, yet access to Denver. Bring lots of suitcases filled with money, OP. Don't count on paying the property tax bill on a lower income budget, even if supplemented with the sale of some dogs.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:04 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
1. It's not possible to be 30-45 minutes from both Denver and Estes Park. For example, it's at least an hour from Nederland to Estes Park and at least an hour from Denver to Nederland.

2. Trying to figure out what you want. You want to be 30-45 minutes outside of Denver, with several acres for raising dogs and putting in a lake????? And this place also has to have good schools? I can't believe that you really think that you can find this if you've spend any time at all reading these forums.

3. Water is a scarcity in Colorado (there are threads on this,too). If you don't own water rights, you can't just "put in a lake". You can't even collect water in a cistern.

Why are you wanting to move to Colorado? Have you spent much time here? Maybe you need to spend the next 7 to 8 years exploring the Front Range.
I find in all my years of talking with people about Colorado, there are some misconceptions that form.

1. People see all the purdy pictures and think wow, how beautiful without realizing what a harsh and unrelenting landscape mountain Colorado really is. Not many people at all, even in this modern era, live in treed Colorado above 7500 ft and it's for good reason. If it was that easy and cheap, just about everyone would be doing it.

2. People look at maps of mountain Colorado and think oh that's a 15 minute drive or that's a 30 minute drive, when the reality is that it is 2 lane roads with elevation changes and constant turns back and forth and especially if you get behind slow traffic or in bad weather, it multiplies the time needed.

3. People saw some burbling brooks or streams or a few mountain lakes in the Rocky Mountain National Park and think Colorado is loaded with water. The water situation is not normal like back east where moisture gets relatively evenly disbursed from the sky. The high elevations and mountaintops are like fingers that catch moisture in a major way leaving much of the lower elevations dry. The bitter cold climate holds all that snow and ice until spring/summer when it melts and rapidly runs off down the mountains and that requires a lot of man made construction and "rights" to catch it and hold it for year round use.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:17 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
The original post(er) has the markings of another one post wonder to me!
Probably.

I think Mike needs to start a permanent post for all of these people as we get these threads almost every week. I want rural living with city amenities.

I want:
Great schools
tons of shopping and attractions
Plenty of well paid jobs
an easy commute

AND

I also want:
acreage with trees
to be able to raise horses/huskies/ferrets
a stream/lake/pond
rural living away from the city
be able to have a big garden and grow tons of fruit and veg
hiking/scenery/skiing/snowmobiling, etc

Basically people want to live this dream like rural lifestyle and have all the amenities of the city. It's not really feasible unless you are a multi millionaire.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:24 PM

2,395 posts, read 4,160,231 times
Even if you had multi millions, what areas really fit all that? Aspen?

Old 07-15-2012, 02:50 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
Snikt wrote: Even if you had multi millions, what areas really fit all that? Aspen?

That's a problem for the 1% to deal with!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:51 PM

10,868 posts, read 41,128,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Even if you had multi millions, what areas really fit all that? Aspen?
Some of the suburban areas of Denver would fit the list ... with multi millions.

Unfortunately, multi-millions would only be a down payment on such a property in the Aspen area.

wanneroo ... you left out that the folks posting these wish lists of requirements want to do it on a low income budget, because they perceive Colorado's real estate in a rural area .. even if it's 35 minutes away from all the city amenities ... as being inexpensive land. No Way ... hasn't been that way for many decades.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:58 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,658,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Probably.

I think Mike needs to start a permanent post for all of these people as we get these threads almost every week. I want rural living with city amenities.

I want:
Great schools
tons of shopping and attractions
Plenty of well paid jobs
an easy commute

AND

I also want:
acreage with trees
to be able to raise horses/huskies/ferrets
a stream/lake/pond
rural living away from the city
be able to have a big garden and grow tons of fruit and veg
hiking/scenery/skiing/snowmobiling, etc

Basically people want to live this dream like rural lifestyle and have all the amenities of the city. It's not really feasible unless you are a multi millionaire.
You forgot that the trees need to be healthy with no beetle kill and the area should be immune from forest fires.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:08 PM

12,842 posts, read 24,468,229 times
There goes my ferret farm... or was it sugar fliers...

Old 07-16-2012, 12:09 PM

833 posts, read 1,381,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Everyone wants this view out their window and want's to pay next to nothing for it, with plentiful jobs, shopping, etc.. near by
But, but, but... that's what ALL of Colorado looks like, right?

Denver is just behind that mountain and it only takes, what, 15 minutes to get there?

Oh, wait, I think I understand the confusion, Colorado is normally COVERED in snow, but there is only some snow in this picture so it must have been taken during a very rare drought or something, right???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or