U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2006, 02:55 AM

171 posts, read 769,548 times

Advertisements

Lakes (waters too cold for swiming in I hear). I just read this on another post...anyone want to fill me in on this? Looking at CS, FT.Collins and Parker areas to relocate to. My husband is mostly interested in FC and Loveland. And also the wind factor. How windy and what does it interfere with? Hate to admit it but I am a Californian (read as weather challenged )...Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 08:49 AM

66 posts, read 441,706 times
Smile Swimming in Lakes

Hi Kaligirl,

Loveland Lake has a swimming beach that is open to the public during the summer. There are a lot of people that take advantage of this.

Boyd Lake in Loveland is a designated state park and hosts lots of visitors throughout the spring, summer, and fall. People ski, sail, boat, fish, and swim.

Fort Collins City Park also has a small lake that people swim in as well as a nearby city pool.

Basically, you can swim in the lakes during the summer in designated areas. Higher lakes like Carter Lake near Loveland or Horsetooth Reservoir in Fort Collins may be a little colder. You want to be very careful on those lakes where there is a lot of water craft out and about Obviously, spring and fall could prove to be a little too cold. People ski on the lakes in the spring and fall also, but they have their wet suits on.

Swimming outside year round - no can do. But there are always swimming pools at recreation centers in Loveland and Fort Collins that you can go to, or you could join a health club that has a swimming pool.

On those few days when it is windy (breezy), get your kites out and enjoy it. On those days when it is very gusty due to fronts moving through, which isn't very often when you look at the entire year, your not housebound by any means, buy you may want to take a comb or hair brush with you if you are out and about.

Old 09-25-2006, 12:18 AM

171 posts, read 769,548 times
Default Thanks for the your input!

Hi,

I hadn't heard that it was too cold before. I was curious about this, because I have a friend who lived many years in Colorado as a kid, who had told me how fond she was of her fun lake time memories there. So thank you for your input on that one!!
Regards!

Old 06-02-2007, 08:48 PM

19 posts, read 98,609 times
Default Questions about lakes, Denver housing market

Couple more questions!

Please tell me about the lakes in Denver. I know there aren't many, but we are moving from California and are always in the water. We would like to buy a boat when we get to Denver and be able to drop it in the lake on occasion. Any good lakes to speak of? Also, how long does it take to get to Lake Powell from Denver? We grew up going to Lake Powell and will definitely be making the trek down there annually.

Second, unrelated question, what is the housing market like there right now? For say, South Denver? We're looking at Castle Rock, HR and Parker areas. Our house is on the market here in So. Cal. and it's soooo slow here. Our house is definitely priced right, so that's not the deal. It's just the market is saturated. Is Denver dealing with the same situation? On average, how long is a home on the market there--meaning priced right, clean, move in ready, etc.

Thanks so much!

Old 06-02-2007, 11:04 PM

10,679 posts, read 28,500,687 times
Housing market - Depends. For the most part sellers get 95-98% of asking in the under $325,000 price range in 45 days.

Overpriced house continue not to sell in every price range.

New homes are discounted 5-12% depending on builder and stage of completion.

Power boats? Chatfield Res, Cherry Creek Res.
human powered boats on Aurora Res (cool new home community on the south side)

Old 06-02-2007, 11:26 PM

84,989 posts, read 98,832,039 times
We brought a sailboat with us from Illinois and ended up selling it. This just isn't big water-sport country. I'd wait till I get here (if I were you) to buy that boat.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:23 PM

19 posts, read 98,609 times
Thanks for the info!

Between Chatfield Res and Cherry Creek Res which is better? Less crowded, more scenic, etc?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or