U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 06:14 PM

2,147 posts, read 4,187,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
There is a list of rampage killers (another term for spree killer) on Wikipedia. Colorado is nowhere near the top in terms of highest number. Don't know if it's OK to post the link or not, but I'll try: List of rampage killers: Americas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It does seem though that Colorado has been having a tough couple of years.
I just read the first paragraph, after scanning this list, and it says:
This section does not include school massacres, workplace killings, hate crimes, or mass murders that took place primarily in a domestic environment, which form their own categories. Cases where the primary motive for the murders was to facilitate or cover up another felony, like robbery, are also not included

I think this list is not relevant to our discussion.....b/c columbine is being considered. As are workplace killings and hate crimes, as per the other states being discussed in conjunction.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:51 PM

74 posts, read 171,798 times
It all seems so hopeless. The root causes of this type of world we are living in are just so huge and multi faceted. Media, violent music, games, movies, economics, religion or lack of religion..the list of causes could go on forever. Bad parenting near the top. We cant even get on the same page about simple domestic issues..how can the whole country or world get on the same page about tackling t\a laundry list of issues. We could never agree.
I fear what this place is going to look like in 10 years...and dont want to imagine the world our grandkids may inherit.
Something has GOT to change.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:29 PM

6,157 posts, read 9,447,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar9918 View Post
It all seems so hopeless. The root causes of this type of world we are living in are just so huge and multi faceted. Media, violent music, games, movies, economics, religion or lack of religion..the list of causes could go on forever. Bad parenting near the top. We cant even get on the same page about simple domestic issues..how can the whole country or world get on the same page about tackling t\a laundry list of issues. We could never agree.
I fear what this place is going to look like in 10 years...and dont want to imagine the world our grandkids may inherit.
I imagine folks have been singing a similar refrain for 70 years because mass shootings are nothing new, it just seems that way because of the 24/7/365 news cycle we now live in.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:12 PM

6,157 posts, read 9,447,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Sounds like you're not much of a hunter then. Do you also fish by dropping a truckload of dynamite in a lake?
Sorry ryanek9freak, I know you're active duty and you have my utmost respect from that perspective, but I have to agree with EBWick on this.

A true sportsman doesn't hunt with an assault rifle because compared to a single shot rifle or pump shotgun, an assault rifle doesn't require a whole hell of a lot of skill. There's a reason why even the most brain-dead military recruit uses an M-16 or M4-A1 and the true shooters get better equipment.

My dad hunted white tail in Wisconsin for years and never once used an assault rifle. We had 4 primary hunting guns - a bolt-action .308, a bolt-action 30-06, a lever-action 30-30, and a 20 gauge pump shotty. He wasn't the best shot in the world but he always managed to fill his tag.

No offense, but if a person can't take down wild game with anything but an assault rifle they need target practice.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 07-21-2012 at 10:25 PM..

Old 07-21-2012, 10:22 PM

80 posts, read 125,171 times
Suspected Colo shooting suspect applied to U of Ariz

Looks like it was an unfortunate luck of the draw. He has only been in Colorado for one year, and it appears that was only because UofA rejected his app for grad school last year. There are crazy people everywhere & since he's only been here for a short time (it appears he started planning this attack several months ago, so he had been here maybe 6 months by then), I don't think it's fair to use him as an example of Colorado bred rampagers.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:31 PM

2,869 posts, read 2,712,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar9918 View Post
The breakdown of the family unit, IMO.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:01 PM

4 posts, read 6,111 times
I lived in Colorado for the past 19 years. Just moved to Hawaii. Living in Colorado never made me want to own a gun or use one, nor will living in Hawaii. Colorado has lenient marijuana laws and a strong pot culture. Stoners are typically non-violent. On the other hand, Colorado is a police state and people feel they need guns to defend themselves against agressive police officers/government that overstep their powers. Gun laws in CO breed a violent mentality. Thank goodness the stoners balance out the gun wackos. It's an interesting social mix. Aloha

Old 07-21-2012, 11:13 PM

6,881 posts, read 7,084,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
People have been watching too many movies. Even with bullet resistant vests, getting hit once would knock you on your rear end.
Plus, my understanding is that it is extremely painful. This would have given many an opportunity to escape and others time to restrain him (or just blow his head off). Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:54 PM

579 posts, read 1,105,845 times
Default Perpetrator was not active in social media

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Second, in these times of Facebook and texting, communicating with little handheld devices, we need to be more in touch with our neighbors, friends and relatives so people get proper socialization and more people need to ask "Really, how ARE you doing?". This guy had nobody and he ended up in a fantasy world calling himself "The Joker". It makes a good case for our society and how separated we are getting from reality, stimulated by electrons on the screen and not really talking to anyone anymore.
It appears that the perpetrator did not have a Facebook account nor a Twitter account, nor did he have a blog or website. Thus, he was not active in social media.

It appears that the perpetrator was quiet and introverted. Perhaps we should be suspicious of such people who don't easily and frequently communicate and socialize with other people.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:57 PM

137 posts, read 193,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Agree. Blaming this on "satan" is a cop out. The creep is mentally deranged, just like that creep who murdered 32 fine young students at VA Tech the other year.
This is the real fact, and the question we all must ask ourselves..."What do we do about it?" What can we do about it? So many of these acts ARE of true evil. We call it "mentally deranged" etc etc etc... but what do these a**holes have in common? As a whole....As a people...we need to evaluate this to prevent it. Whether it involves more if us observing these actions...being aware of these actions....and becoming more sociologically aware....We need to take this as a learning experience to keep ourselves and the ones we love safe. Most people will say "well **** how could anyone in that theater have known?" well they couldn't. But the god damn door could have been stronger...being that it was a one-way exit.... I dont fault the engineer because this type of **** is so unpredictable..yet in the future maybe it will be stronger... All I am saying is to stay aware. be prepared....we are not as free of a nation as we once were. I still have faith that the common soul is a good one and I still trust most of my neighbors. Call me optimistic but at the end of days my optimism is what I have. Even in death I will never lose it. I encourage everyone else to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or