U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-22-2012, 12:10 AM
 
Location: Renton, WA
579 posts, read 1,106,225 times
Reputation: 472

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
School Shootings Stats

Texas has had one with deaths, at UT Austin and that was in 1966. It was the first school shooting in this country.
I am sure that there were some school shootings before the University of Texas shootings of 1966. The U.S. Government apparently didn't start recording recordings of such shooting until the horrific killings by Charles Whitman in 1966.

 
Old 07-22-2012, 01:46 AM
 
Location: 80904 West siiiiiide!
2,866 posts, read 7,100,574 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Sounds like you're not much of a hunter then. Do you also fish by dropping a truckload of dynamite in a lake?

Yet again, you're wrong an uninformed. A 7.62 X 39mm size ammo that every AK47 uses, is about as half as powerful as your average 30.06 Deer Rifle. So by your logic, those shouldn't be used for hunting? Please educate me, Mr. I know everything about guns, what exactly about a semi automatic AK-47 variant, makes it more dangerous than a regular rifle, Please, I'm all ears. Because it "looks" scary? An AK-47, is just a rifle, no different than any other semi-automatic rifle commonly used for hunting.

I have been a military and law enforcement armorer for over 15 years now, when you actually learn how firearms operate, then you can make informed statements.
 
Old 07-22-2012, 01:55 AM
 
Location: 80904 West siiiiiide!
2,866 posts, read 7,100,574 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Sorry ryanek9freak, I know you're active duty and you have my utmost respect from that perspective, but I have to agree with EBWick on this.

A true sportsman doesn't hunt with an assault rifle because compared to a single shot rifle or pump shotgun, an assault rifle doesn't require a whole hell of a lot of skill. There's a reason why even the most brain-dead military recruit uses an M-16 or M4-A1 and the true shooters get better equipment.

My dad hunted white tail in Wisconsin for years and never once used an assault rifle. We had 4 primary hunting guns - a bolt-action .308, a bolt-action 30-06, a lever-action 30-30, and a 20 gauge pump shotty. He wasn't the best shot in the world but he always managed to fill his tag.

No offense, but if a person can't take down wild game with anything but an assault rifle they need target practice.
Perhaps you need to look up Colorado hunting laws and brush up. There is NOTHING worng with hunting with a semi automatic rifle, thousands of people are doing it in Colorado. And for the love of God almighty, will you people stop referring to them as Assault Rifles? What the hell is that anyway? A rifle is a rifle. You're saying that I should stop hunting with my Browning Auto 5 Shotgun, simply because it's not bolt action?

Bolt action rifles are going the wayside these days. More and more sportsman are hunting with your so-called "Assault Rifles" because the recognize the advantage of being able to make quick follow up shots in the event of a miss.

I'm not sure what it is about you people that you just cant distinguish the difference between a fully automatic military weapon, and it's semi-automatic civilian version.

When hunting in Colorado with a firearm that has a deatchable magazine (there are literally thousands of them), you have only have a magazine that can hold 4 rounds or less, or you can take a 30 round mag and modify it so that it may hold no more than 4 rounds.

There are AR-10 variants manufactured by Remington now that are purpose made for hunting, they come with Real Tree Camo on them. Chambered in .308 winchester, a common Elk Cartridge(which by the way, is nearly twice as powerful as an AK round).

Stop making statements about things you clearly know nothing about. When you do, then you can debate me.
 
Old 07-22-2012, 03:24 AM
 
Location: East St. Paul 651 forever (or North St. Paul) .
2,869 posts, read 2,713,889 times
Reputation: 1446
In a "free" society there are just going to be trade offs. If Breivik could massacre several dozen kids in a place like Norway then it can occur anywhere.
 
Old 07-22-2012, 05:28 AM
 
179 posts, read 393,410 times
Reputation: 95
Regarding : Colorado Movie Theater ,Very sad ....
[SIZE=2]Exit doors in the [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Colorado Movie Theater [/SIZE][SIZE=2]should have been alarmed ( when door opens a loud siren goes off.) Something should be done @ all Theater's
[/SIZE]
 
Old 07-22-2012, 05:47 AM
 
Location: right here
4,119 posts, read 4,597,665 times
Reputation: 4833
After this tragedy now we are going to be paying more for any kind of entertainment because we are going to need police presence everywhere. It's just sad. No one can do anything fun anymore..
 
Old 07-22-2012, 06:00 AM
 
Location: right here
4,119 posts, read 4,597,665 times
Reputation: 4833
Quote:
Originally Posted by analeah11 View Post
I lived in Colorado for the past 19 years. Just moved to Hawaii. Living in Colorado never made me want to own a gun or use one, nor will living in Hawaii. Colorado has lenient marijuana laws and a strong pot culture. Stoners are typically non-violent. On the other hand, Colorado is a police state and people feel they need guns to defend themselves against agressive police officers/government that overstep their powers. Gun laws in CO breed a violent mentality. Thank goodness the stoners balance out the gun wackos. It's an interesting social mix. Aloha

What an idiotic thing to say...do you think Coloradans are a bunch of gun lovers or stoners? I'm offended by that comment...born and raised in Colorado and my family and most of my friends live there and guess what NONE of them ever smoked pot. And I never felt the need to purchase a gun while living there. Living in Florida, now I have two!

So please stop making generalizations and a police state? Again generalizations..at least most of Colorado's police force actually do there job-and this is why living there is usually safe. Psst...this is why Colorado has a pretty good economy thus pretty low crime.

So have fun in Hawaii but please this isn't the time nor the place for your 2 cent sociology class
 
Old 07-22-2012, 09:28 AM
 
1,333 posts, read 1,900,877 times
Reputation: 1069
Frankly, this isn't going to change anything. The NRA is too powerful. I agree that the average American citizen has absolutely no need for a machine gun- its only real purpose is to kill more people faster- and it's certainly a warping of the Second Amendment which couldn't possibly have conceived of such a weapon, but it doesn't matter. We're going to keep having a radically higher rate of mass shootings and gun-related deaths than any other first world nation, and we're going to keep convincing ourselves despite all evidence to the contrary that this will magically be made better with less gun restrictions and more people having guns.The idea that MORE guns would have helped the situation is simply insane. This was a dark, crowded theater. The shooter threw tear gas, AND he was wearing a bullet-proof vest. Basically, unless there was a trained Marine with night goggles or someone on that level, someone else pulling out a gun in that theater would have only resulted in more people dying. This had nothing to do with the movie, or the culture that's being associated with it. This is a simple matter of selfish, self-obsessed evil. Any other blame besides that of the shooters can be attributed to the news media, that is always so ready and willing to give them what they want.
 
Old 07-22-2012, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
27,868 posts, read 37,891,764 times
Reputation: 17422
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticMedia View Post
I hope this kid gets death. This is an example of pure selfish true evil... Nobody needs this person to continue living on this planet. IMO He has forfeited his right to breath among us by doing this. One more reason I carry my glock! what can you do?
More likely is he mentally ill like the kid in Tucson. Schizophrenia happens around that age. The problem here is the mentally ill people who are undiagnosed and untreated can buy lethal weapons with ease. I don't think gun bans are the answer unless it is total - no guns of any type manufactured, sold, or possessed in the US. It is not going to happen. Maybe there is a way of getting to people who are losing touch with reality before they do crazy stuff like this.
 
Old 07-22-2012, 10:13 AM
 
Location: The 719
13,673 posts, read 21,507,603 times
Reputation: 13303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art20123 View Post
It seems as though there's a spirit of evil in Colorado in general. 4 shootings in just over a decade and the worst wildfire season in years. Satan is real, and he seems to be unusually active here lately.
You've just confirmed my suspicion about you... you sell insurance. Only an insurance agent can think this way.

Read a book by Scott M Peck called "People of the Lie" if you want to learn about evil.

There you will learn that the/a devil has no power to do anything to us without our own willingness to go along.

Only God has Power and we can and do have access to it.

What an amazing bunch of heroic stories coming out of this senseless massacre. We will come out the other side of this thing better and stronger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top