U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 11:34 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,998 posts, read 5,520,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
This kook would have made bombs if he did not have guns and perhaps killed even more with those placed in the theater. I blame our countries mental illness on Warner Bros who glorifies violence and feeds young minds with it.
flawed argument . millions of people see violent movies regularly, so why aren't they killing people?

Old 07-22-2012, 11:46 AM

7 posts, read 7,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
You've just confirmed my suspicion about you... you sell insurance. Only an insurance agent can think this way.

Read a book by Scott M Peck called "People of the Lie" if you want to learn about evil.

There you will learn that the/a devil has no power to do anything to us without our own willingness to go along.

Only God has Power and we can and do have access to it.

What an amazing bunch of heroic stories coming out of this senseless massacre. We will come out the other side of this thing better and stronger.
If there's something about CO that attracts mass murderers, I certainly haven't seen it, based on my experience living in this wonderful state. That being said, the fact is, of the lethal shootings that have happened in America over the past 2 decades, a disproportionately high number of them have occurred in colorado, and like the OP, I am very disturbed by that. I have no idea why. It should not be like this. Colorado is not the wild west.

Last edited by Art20123; 07-22-2012 at 11:59 AM..

Old 07-22-2012, 11:50 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,501,052 times
Lots of unanswerd question in my mind. Gotta wonder where and how this guy acquired the know how to do all of the things he did? Apparently he is an unemployed, introverted medical school student...so WHERE did he get the money to buy all of the guns, body armor, etc? What's going on in neuroscience training these days? Is it known if he was taking zoloft, wellbutrin or other zombie making drugs? Seems rather odd that he would warn the police that his apartment was booby trapped. Very strange behaviour all the way around.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:52 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,998 posts, read 5,520,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
You've just confirmed my suspicion about you... you sell insurance. Only an insurance agent can think this way.

Read a book by Scott M Peck called "People of the Lie" if you want to learn about evil.

There you will learn that the/a devil has no power to do anything to us without our own willingness to go along.

Only God has Power and we can and do have access to it.

What an amazing bunch of heroic stories coming out of this senseless massacre. We will come out the other side of this thing better and stronger.
after life insurance ?

Old 07-22-2012, 12:49 PM

5,199 posts, read 11,381,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art20123 View Post
Yes, and to be fair, Eric Harris was also a transplant from Michigan, so not all our killers are "home-grown"
Actually, he was from Kansas but nevertheless, he was a transplant from another state.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:51 PM

13,747 posts, read 21,598,908 times
Sorry folks. I'm not taking the bait. I've said all I'm saying on this topic for now. Draw your own conclusions.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:53 PM

5,199 posts, read 11,381,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
I am sure that there were some school shootings before the University of Texas shootings of 1966. The U.S. Government apparently didn't start recording recordings of such shooting until the horrific killings by Charles Whitman in 1966.
Yes. I left out the word "recorded" school shootings. On the link I posted, it did list the first recorded one in Canada to be in 1902 and in Europe, 1913.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:18 PM

12,411 posts, read 16,001,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
I am liberal in most ways, but I am fully behind the right to bear arms, so long as guns are put in the hands of decent citizens and not psychopaths. However, I disagree with guns on airplanes - that's the equivalent of a lighter on the Hindenberg.
I agree with you.
What we need to do is to try to screen these troubled people before they act out, maybe in schools.

This guy's mom, after she heard what happened, made some comment like, 'You've got the right one'.

This is a church going family, too, so the news said, and the parents were both educated and seemed like responsible people. From the mom's comment, the kid may have been to counseling of some sort. I am assuming that families of some means do not allow a troubled child to go without aid.

Now that the guy has a lawyer, will we ever know the truth?

I mean Andrea Yates was poor. We found out that she was religious, went to a psychiatrist, was advised not to have more children because of her bad postpartum depression, which her husband overruled and the religion they belonged to insisted that women take orders from their husband, so we know what that resulted in.

Other cases, backgrounds and reasoning may never be known.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:29 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,487,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
If we outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns. (look at Canada)
You mean the Canada with 55% less gun deaths then the US?

Old 07-22-2012, 03:33 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,487,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Australia's violent crime rates tripled once they put in severe restrictions on firearms.

Violent crime in the USA has fallen steadily since 1970.
Source please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or