U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-23-2012, 11:21 AM

5,706 posts, read 4,869,806 times

Advertisements

We’ve allowed a social group with extreme views who want to preserve the remote possibility of an armed insurrection against the federal government enable cheap, frequent mass murders.

When I was a kid I took a gun safety class sponsored by the NRA. That was back when the NRA advocated for sensible gun laws. Today, they're leading the way in what I said in my first paragraph.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:29 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,645,167 times
In Europe nudity is accepted (topless beaches etc) and they censor violence. We censor nudity and glorify violence, that's our culture.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:00 PM

5,029 posts, read 5,863,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Just because a state has a lot of nice scenery and recreation (in places that is-- Aurora is certainly not a beautiful, wonderful place) doesn't mean everybody is happy. Interestingly, the mountain west states, including Colorado, have the highest suicide rates in the nation. I think the mind-your-own-business, do-your-own-thing culture of this region promotes social isolation-- full of polite people who smile and say hello, but don't really want to get to know you. Then there's a high male-female ratio, very transient populations in certain areas, boom & bust economic cycles-- not the greatest place to live for people who are mentally unstable.

http://www.suicidology.org/c/documen...e=DLFE-495.pdf
While I don't want to steer the thread away from what really matters here, this horrible tragedy, thank you for actually shedding some insight as to possible cultural differences that may play a small role in answering the OPs question.

And it is for your reasons stated above, that despite the fact I love the nature and the outdoors of the west, why I prefer California to other western states to live in, despite the dysfunctional state government and high cost of living.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwocmo View Post
We've always had excessive violence. This took place in the Wild West, where excessive violence was the norm only 130 years ago. As far as exposing kids to excessive violence, until recently we would take our children to executions to let them watch real people suffer real deaths- we'd even take along picnic lunches. Kids have always been exposed to violence, even before movies, tv, and video games. What's different now? Who knows? Maybe it's just that we know about the violent occurrences more now because of modern news coverage capabilities.
Yes, thank you. The "good old days" never existed.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:12 PM

This occurred in Bath, MI in 1927. 45 dead, 58 injured. Still even to this day still the most deadly school massacre.

Bath School disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People need to get some perspective. Per my post above^^

Old 07-23-2012, 12:16 PM

64 posts, read 41,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
^^^^^Can't speak for anyone else, so this is my response only. Although I don't think of it as a mystery, I am wondering about it becasue I've not seen any news about his funding source. Perhaps your guess is right, then again perhaps it's not.
Fair enough, maybe not a mystery to you, but I have seen the same question on many comment boards, including the Denver Post, posed as a "how did this guy get that much money?!", and I'm not sure why it's such a mystery. There is the possibility that some of the chemicals from the apartment were purchased illegally on money from the university, but for the guns and ammunition I'd be very surprised if it wasn't just put on credit cards (maybe co-signed by his parents) and/or with cash given to him by his parents and from his stipend at the university.

I don't know for certain, but my guess is that he wasn't yet unemployed, as they were in the process of kicking him out of the program. As a grad student in science at CU, he should have been receiving a stipend for working in the lab or teaching, to the tune of about $20k/year. It's not a ton of money, but certainly enough for food and rent and more. Someone with his clean record likely has had a credit card since 18, which means at this point his limit is probably $5 to $10k, and clearly he's not intending to pay it off.

Indeed, my theories here are just a guess, but it's a guess that I'd be quite surprised to find out isn't true--I'm not expecting any surprises in the money trail. The money trail would be much more of a mystery in cases like Columbine, where you were talking about high school students without access to credit. To me, the money trail will likely point out just how easy it is for your average crazy adult to arm himself to the teeth in this country with a few swipes of the credit card at some big box stores.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:22 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,645,167 times
Motive, anyone - anyone. Just one crazy SOB and CA transplant.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:37 PM

505 posts, read 327,240 times
I guess it's naive to think that gun control discussions and CCW discussions would go elsewhere, so I'll jump in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Although I'm not advocating this approach as the solution, I have to admit that it worked pretty good in this video:

http://youtu.be/KjH3ZMUks1o
Hey, getting the drop on someone is the best way to do things. Period. Little turd-burger had his backed turned and took a round to the ass. Though it does speak poorly to the gentleman's failure to acquire a good sight picture ( but I'm not criticizing his decision to take action). Some more time spent in reflexive fire drills would help.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:41 PM

2,767 posts, read 3,888,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
simple answer - guns, guns, guns.

How proud are we now Americans of our RIGHT to bear arms?

How about the rights of a person to be able to go to the movie theatre to see Batman and not worry about being gunned down?
Sorry but the problem is not GUNS, GUNS, GUNS. Maybe the real problem is the constant exposure of young malleable minds to violence in their games, entertainment and then the evening news when some twisted sick mind uses a gun to act out his psychotic impulses. BTW the BATMAN and other similar movies might be a contributing factor to the increase in violence. Holmes evidently identified strongly with the Joker character.
GL2

Old 07-23-2012, 12:48 PM

402 posts, read 317,199 times
Have they done drug testing on him? People that are on antidepressants have been known to kill and committ suicide. It does something to the thinking process of otherwise normal individuals. There are over 3000 documented cases of this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado