U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:06 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,039,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
simple answer - guns, guns, guns.

How proud are we now Americans of our RIGHT to bear arms?

How about the rights of a person to be able to go to the movie theatre to see Batman and not worry about being gunned down?
Very proud. A CCW holder could have stopped that shooter.

You look at South Africa which now has severe firearms restrictions. Technically you can get a gun permit, but in reality getting a permit is next to impossible because the government doesn't process the paperwork. But of course the criminals have tons of guns brought illegally over the border from countries like Mozambique and they use them in crime and hence SA is one of the most violent countries in the world. People can't defend themselves and the police vary in quality. The criminals rule the roost.

If you banned firearms or severely restricted them, you'd have the same issues as you do with illegal drugs. There would be a steady and profitable trade of smuggling and black market and all the criminals would have weapons and we'd be defenseless.

As we find in society, you might have the "right" do say or do anything, but that doesn't stop the bad guys from wanting to take away those rights. I have the "right" to leave my car and house unlocked. That doesn't mean people will not steal from me if given the opportunity. I have a "right" to walk around with a wallet filled with $100 bills. That doesn't mean a pickpocket or thief will not try to take it or knife me for it.

You and other liberals always have the wrong focus. You zoom in on those who live peacefully and are responsible rather than focusing on those that are out to deprive others of their rights to that peaceful existence. This guy was a nutter who firearms or not, would have found a way to carry out his actions. I'd focus on him and not on 309 million other people that live in peace.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:10 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,039,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
If we outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns. (look at Canada)
Australia's violent crime rates tripled once they put in severe restrictions on firearms.

Violent crime in the USA has fallen steadily since 1970. Criminals are still around, but these days enough people are armed that your career as a burglar doesn't last long before you get plugged.

It's interesting people don't mention that incident recently in Florida where the 71 year old man in an internet cafe stopped 2 robbers. The robbers said they had no violent intent other than to get money, but how many times have we seen robbers like that in a busy place start shooting people? Quite a few.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:11 AM

479 posts, read 1,013,116 times
Another thing I've noticed: it seems like Colorado shooters are the most heavily armed. The Columbine shooters pretty much had bombs up the wazoo and intended to kill 250 people. The YWAM/New Life shooter had thousands of rounds, and supposedly could've carried out an Oklahoma City scale massacre if he hadn't been stopped by the security guard. Now it sounds like the Aurora shooter was obscenely heavily armed in a similar way and even booby trapped his apartment with chemical weapons. My experience living in Colorado has been that it's a wonderful state all around, I just don't understand how we could have such a high concentration of heavily armed sociopaths.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:13 AM

137 posts, read 193,591 times
I hope this kid gets death. This is an example of pure selfish true evil... Nobody needs this person to continue living on this planet. IMO He has forfeited his right to breath among us by doing this. One more reason I carry my glock! what can you do?

Old 07-20-2012, 11:23 AM

2,395 posts, read 4,166,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
Another thing I've noticed: it seems like Colorado shooters are the most heavily armed. The Columbine shooters pretty much had bombs up the wazoo and intended to kill 250 people. The YWAM/New Life shooter had thousands of rounds, and supposedly could've carried out an Oklahoma City scale massacre if he hadn't been stopped by the security guard. Now it sounds like the Aurora shooter was obscenely heavily armed in a similar way and even booby trapped his apartment with chemical weapons. My experience living in Colorado has been that it's a wonderful state all around, I just don't understand how we could have such a high concentration of heavily armed sociopaths.
I wouldn't say that, this guy had an "assault type weapon" so probably an AR-15 or AK-47, a shotgun and 2 pistols. Very normal stuff, many shoots have these type of weapons including myself.

It's not like he had a minigun or machine guns, though the tear gas was pretty unusual

Old 07-20-2012, 11:59 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,174,886 times
'Mass chaos' as 12 shot dead at 'Dark Knight Rises' screening in Aurora, Colorado - U.S. News

Old 07-20-2012, 12:09 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
If we outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns. (look at Canada)
You can have Guns in Canada and many Canadians do....its slightly different up there. Less crime & other crap in General...so the need for carrying isn't needed except in the Northern areas. Canada is what the US should be like , they're ahead of us in alot of social and some economic ones....they talk about their problems instead of letting them growing.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:15 PM

15,744 posts, read 22,025,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Very proud. A CCW holder could have stopped that shooter.
I'm not a liberal, but I don't see how a CCW holder could have stopped this.

Darkness, tear gas, chaos. It would have helped if 100 CCW holders were in the theater, but not one or two.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:22 PM

486 posts, read 1,236,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
I wouldn't say that, this guy had an "assault type weapon" so probably an AR-15 or AK-47, a shotgun and 2 pistols. Very normal stuff, many shoots have these type of weapons including myself.

It's not like he had a minigun or machine guns, though the tear gas was pretty unusual
An AK-47 "very normal stuff"?

There's your problem right there.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:23 PM

6,166 posts, read 9,468,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm not a liberal, but I don't see how a CCW holder could have stopped this.

Darkness, tear gas, chaos. It would have helped if 100 CCW holders were in the theater, but not one or two.
In this particular scenario you'd run into a situation where you have multiple people who are largely ill-prepared for this kind of event, shooting indiscriminately in multiple directions at one or more perceived targets. There's no way to instantly coordinate that number of people. That would also be very bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or