U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 12:29 PM

12,850 posts, read 24,511,901 times

Advertisements

Don't forget the Tucson shooter, who clearly looked psychotic in every photo of him.

There are rampage shootings in lots of places. I think the 24-hour "news" cycle has become a relatively recent thing, and Colorado happened to have a couple of major rampage shooters.

In 1973, I was working in an editing/office job in a south Jersey suburb on the highway. We worked evenings. One time, during the day, some guy went into the insurance company office across the highway, killed six people, paralyzed one and then killed himself. He was peeved because, a year before, he hadn't been hired as a security guard there. It made the south Jersey newspaper and maybe a mention in the Philly paper.

Etc.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:46 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,655,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm not a liberal, but I don't see how a CCW holder could have stopped this.

Darkness, tear gas, chaos. It would have helped if 100 CCW holders were in the theater, but not one or two.
If you have time and presence of mind to try to hide under a seat or get away, you have the opportunity to set up and shoot back. This guy was in there shooting for several (LONG) minutes. After the first few seconds of surprise wears off, you have time to act. Or time to die at his hand...your choice.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:04 PM

5,706 posts, read 7,900,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
If you have time and presence of mind to try to hide under a seat or get away, you have the opportunity to set up and shoot back.
Running or hiding from danger is instinctive. Aim. Prepare. Fire. is an acquired skill, something 99% of CC people don't possess.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:06 PM

137 posts, read 193,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
If you have time and presence of mind to try to hide under a seat or get away, you have the opportunity to set up and shoot back. This guy was in there shooting for several (LONG) minutes. After the first few seconds of surprise wears off, you have time to act. Or time to die at his hand...your choice.
I concur, If you were down low and could get a shot, he wouldint be too hard to hit because of his position. Everyone was running away from his position, therefore you could single him out and emptying 16 rounds in a general pattern into the area of his position might have been a saving grace.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:32 PM

874 posts, read 924,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticMedia View Post
I concur, If you were down low and could get a shot, he wouldint be too hard to hit because of his position. Everyone was running away from his position, therefore you could single him out and emptying 16 rounds in a general pattern into the area of his position might have been a saving grace.
Hey, why don't you take your breakdown of the appropriate tactical shooting techniques that you would employed if you were there to the gun control debate subforum. I'm sure that your nuanced breakdown would be quite appreciated.

That you just advocated a CCL holder to employ a suppressive fire technique in engaging a target is a cardinal sin.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:40 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,655,096 times
Let's remember also that one minimally-trained off-duty private security guard was enough to stop the New Life massacre in its tracks. The Aurora shooter, despite being armored-up, pussed-out and gave up the minute the cops caught up with him outside. I do really wish they could have found a way to kill him right there.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:53 PM

3,984 posts, read 5,704,821 times
Just to put a perspective on it from NJ, these incidents generally don't happen here. Maybe a drug-related triple murder in Newark or Camden from time-to-time. But a random school or movie theater getting shot up by a fully-strapped nut with an AK, 2 handguns and a rifle? Not that I can remember. It's hard to own a gun here for the most part.

And to all the Dirty Harry's who think they would've popped this guy in a dark theater with smoke all around? C'mon, get a clue. He was also covered head-to-toe in armor.

AK's have no useful purpose OTHER than hunting down people. The public at large has no need for them.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:18 PM

3,687 posts, read 3,928,307 times
I wasn't going to post but I really wanted to express that not only does my heart go out to the folks in Aurora, but really, the whole state of Colorado. The reason is because people are going to make comments like "what's wrong with Colorado" and the truth, as someone else pointed out, is that there are crazies everywhere. I live in Texas and yes, there are crazies EVERYWHERE.

So I'm sad that people might jump to crazy conclusions...and I'm especially sad for those that are directly affected. I'm sad for the mother of the shooter (if in fact, she did not contribute) and sad that this violent person wasn't taken out of circulation well before he went off the deep end. But mostly, I'm sad that a perfectly wonderful American evening at the movies was forever ruined for so many people - and the loss they feel. I'm still in shock at the scope of this tragedy.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:46 PM

74 posts, read 171,918 times
I am a so-called "liberal"...I'm a democrat. I am also a proud gun owner, and believe in the right to bear arms. Not all democrats are "anti-gun". I love to shoot, and I cherish the right to be better prepared in the event of a crisis.
Now that being said..I do believe we need some laws tweaked a little bit. Again - this does not make me anti gun or anti-2nd amendment for crying out loud.
1. High capacity clips for ARs should not be legal for civilians. Will the worst of the worst still find a way to get them? Sure they will, but lets not make it LEGAL for Gods sake.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:47 PM

9,064 posts, read 15,485,226 times
The shooter was from California, San Diego to be exact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or