U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 06:11 AM

10,589 posts, read 10,377,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
To be fair, he was a Californian. He was just a temporary visitor to Colorado.
Having heard radio reports regarding this tragedy and the testimony of some witnesses..Those in Colorado seem very intelligent..well spoken - thoughtful and kind people..Do not judge this state because of interloping evil that happens to sneak and taint the reputation of the populace...I would gladly live in this place..It used to be that my town Toronto - was once called "Toronto the good" - Now I wake up and hear that there were 3 more murders via the gun...

This cancer is spreading and it is everywhere- From Syria- to Canada..to America - to Mexico- I could go on and on- This is all over the world..just in different degrees- When some Coptic Christian is murdered in Egypt - it is not much different than a good kind person being shot in Colorado- This is a human crisis- Geography is of little consequence...we have a case of rot in our species and had better find a cure fast.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:34 AM

5,882 posts, read 3,016,788 times
Hollywood and the TV and video game industry glorify excessive violence---the last two generations have been getting non-stop images of violence like no other generations before us. Studies have been done showing how constant stimulation from watching or acting out violent images changes areas in the brain.

Last edited by mountainrose; 07-21-2012 at 06:49 AM..

Old 07-21-2012, 08:12 AM

68 posts, read 144,402 times
Only on page 2 so far wannaroo, however this morning I saw that this wacko was in full boy armor - even a plated neck shield. Would have been a trick to take him out...........................

Old 07-21-2012, 08:42 AM

230 posts, read 270,516 times
We've always had excessive violence. This took place in the Wild West, where excessive violence was the norm only 130 years ago. As far as exposing kids to excessive violence, until recently we would take our children to executions to let them watch real people suffer real deaths- we'd even take along picnic lunches. Kids have always been exposed to violence, even before movies, tv, and video games. What's different now? Who knows? Maybe it's just that we know about the violent occurrences more now because of modern news coverage capabilities.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:57 AM

808 posts, read 1,181,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
And somebody here already mentioned what the 9/11 muslims did with a a handful of boxcutters.
As I recall, the weapon was not a boxcutter, but a large passenger aircraft full of jet fuel, again something the average 18th Century nutjobs did not have access to. Note in my previous post I did not challenge or attack the Constitutional "right to bear arms" - I simply pointed out the obvious and entirely expected consequence of technological advancement in the hands of the wackjobs that are always among us. This is not going to stop happening, sadly. And those of you carrying around your concealed weapons to the grocery store, I presume you're aware of the statistics as to the likelihood any particular weapon will end up killing a family member compared to the likelihood of taking out a deranged Batman shooter. Again, not a value judgment, just an observation of what actually happens out there in the world.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:08 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,501,052 times
mountainrose wrtote: Hollywood and the TV and video game industry glorify excessive violence---the last two generations have been getting non-stop images of violence like no other generations before us. Studies have been done showing how constant stimulation from watching or acting out violent images changes areas in the brain.

Good point. I suspect that many who favor banning gun sales have voted ( with their wallets ) to support the nonstop violence programming that hollywood is so fond of providing. Programming the mind that violence is cool comes prior to the violent acts. The programming is far more insidious and available than the guns themselves.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 07-21-2012 at 10:20 AM..

Old 07-21-2012, 10:48 AM

7 posts, read 7,920 times
I agree that Colorado has a long way to go before it reaches the level of violence seen in the Middle East, or even large US cities like Detroit or Chicago. But I agree with the OP that there are some disturbing trends here.

Eric Harris, Dylan Klebold, Matthew Murray, and this Aurora guy were all Denver area residents. They were all stone cold psychopaths bursting at the seams with hatred and rage. They all amassed staggering amounts of firepower, and they all intended to rack up the highest body count in US history, but fortunately none of them succeeded. For that many monsters to come from the same state, let alone the same metro area, is frankly terrifying. I only pray that this marks the end of Colorado's rash of massacres.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwocmo View Post
We've always had excessive violence. This took place in the Wild West, where excessive violence was the norm only 130 years ago. As far as exposing kids to excessive violence, until recently we would take our children to executions to let them watch real people suffer real deaths- we'd even take along picnic lunches. Kids have always been exposed to violence, even before movies, tv, and video games. What's different now? Who knows? Maybe it's just that we know about the violent occurrences more now because of modern news coverage capabilities.
Maybe it's time to change? We don't want this kind of life or world- don't just take it as normal and give into this ancient evil- understand it ....To be a great and good peace maker you can't just be some liberal wimp..a peace maker has to have the noble ability to wage vicious and utter war if need be- We know how to do that...America is expert in that area- but it is not ALL that we are- we are more than that...

Old 07-21-2012, 11:03 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,663,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
As I recall, the weapon was not a boxcutter, but a large passenger aircraft full of jet fuel, again something the average 18th Century nutjobs did not have access to. Note in my previous post I did not challenge or attack the Constitutional "right to bear arms" - I simply pointed out the obvious and entirely expected consequence of technological advancement in the hands of the wackjobs that are always among us. This is not going to stop happening, sadly. And those of you carrying around your concealed weapons to the grocery store, I presume you're aware of the statistics as to the likelihood any particular weapon will end up killing a family member compared to the likelihood of taking out a deranged Batman shooter. Again, not a value judgment, just an observation of what actually happens out there in the world.
You sure don't take somebody agreeing with you very well.

My concealed-carry weapons are all kept in gun safes when they're not in a holster. Those statistics you refer to don't distinguish between properly-trained gun owners and those people that just decided one day to bring a gun home because something scared them or it seemed like the thing to do at the time. Truth be told, a properly-secured firearm in the home presents far less risk to a family member than a backyard swimming pool.

The hunting safety class I had to take here in CO to get my hunting license included instruction covering both the dangers of weapons in the home and the proper ways to secure a weapon. All of the courses designed for concealed carry I know of also focus on firearms safety.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:16 AM

Don't have a TV in the house- my daughter informed me that media coverage consisted of images of poor and bloodied people coming out of the theater...She commented that media further desensitizes the public and they are turning a profit on these images....It's a twisted system we live in...If they want to use the images of the wounded- how about having them sign a waiver first- or pay them SAG rates for the broadcast..The whole thing is disgraceful...If we have those who profit on violence and mayhem..then it might be logical that they will indirectly promote violence by showing more and more and more...The laws of smart censorship might have to be re- thought and maybe lax laws should be made stronger- No matter what it seems that violence is self generating and perpetuates it self through media- free speech should have limits- If it harms- shut it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or