U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 11:19 AM

493 posts, read 558,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Washington View Post
The AR-15 assault rifle is too military a type of weapon with that big magazine. Makes it too easy for a maniac to get off more shots and kill more people. I don't know why that kind of gun should be legal. Some increased gun control laws are warranted so a lunatic would be less empowered I think. Perfect example of the need to amend the Constitution based on technologies that the founding fathers never anticipated.
This is right on the nose. Good Lord people these assault rifles are killing machines. Thats what they are designed to do. But it's too late. Banning them wont help. Pandora is out of the box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 07-21-2012, 11:32 AM

4,470 posts, read 6,631,698 times
Default Rtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Very proud. A CCW holder could have stopped that shooter.

You look at South Africa which now has severe firearms restrictions. Technically you can get a gun permit, but in reality getting a permit is next to impossible because the government doesn't process the paperwork. But of course the criminals have tons of guns brought illegally over the border from countries like Mozambique and they use them in crime and hence SA is one of the most violent countries in the world. People can't defend themselves and the police vary in quality. The criminals rule the roost.

If you banned firearms or severely restricted them, you'd have the same issues as you do with illegal drugs. There would be a steady and profitable trade of smuggling and black market and all the criminals would have weapons and we'd be defenseless.

As we find in society, you might have the "right" do say or do anything, but that doesn't stop the bad guys from wanting to take away those rights. I have the "right" to leave my car and house unlocked. That doesn't mean people will not steal from me if given the opportunity. I have a "right" to walk around with a wallet filled with $100 bills. That doesn't mean a pickpocket or thief will not try to take it or knife me for it.

You and other liberals always have the wrong focus. You zoom in on those who live peacefully and are responsible rather than focusing on those that are out to deprive others of their rights to that peaceful existence. This guy was a nutter who firearms or not, would have found a way to carry out his actions. I'd focus on him and not on 309 million other people that live in peace.
In NM as well as Az we have the "right to carry" law= open carry.
However, A person w/ a CCW permit would not neccessarly have been able to stop or prevent this shooter form carrying out his goal.

Situation: very dark theater, person wearing very dark clothing, person with body armor, face/throat protection et.al. is NOT an viable target even for the most highly trained shooter.
Situation: dark theater w/many person's running screaming etc perhaps blocking the view of a CCW carrier; no not a viable target, sorry.

Just start popping off rounds at what might be the suspect in this situation would not of be prudent.

I do believe in CCW and lots of training; but the average person in this situation is not prepared for this.

Combat vet's would still not have the "window of opportunity" for a defensive position.

Remember: guns don't kill people, car's don't kill people, knives don't kill people, bombs don't kill people.
PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE/PERSONS USING TOOLS.

HW that's all I have to say about that?!

Old 07-21-2012, 12:06 PM

5,199 posts, read 11,369,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
My question is, why do we have more of these incidents than anywhere else? I can see maybe places in the Bible Belt or Texas having this issue, but not Colorado.
Why would the Bible Belt or Texas (part of the BB) seem to have this issue more than CO? I'm just curious why you think that. I live in Texas (from CA), but I'm not her biggest fan so, that's not the reason why I'm wondering.

Here's a link to the school shootings in this country from 2010 and prior.

School Shootings Stats

Texas has had one with deaths, at UT Austin and that was in 1966. It was the first school shooting in this country. It does appear, though, that most of the school shootings (with the exception of CA) were in the south. Trust me; southerners definitely are "something else" when it comes to guns.

Take a look at the worldwide statistics on the link. The USA leads by leaps and bounds.

The Luby's and Ft. Hood massacres were terrible, two absolute lunatics as in the case of Columbine and Aurora with three lunatics. There are crazies everywhere and none of us are safe.

My heart goes out to the people in CO and especially to those who lost family members. May God comfort them during this most difficult time.

My great-nephew is in the Navy and stationed in Aurora. Thank God he and his family are okay and were NOT at the theater.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:17 PM

7 posts, read 7,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Why would the Bible Belt or Texas (part of the BB) seem to have this issue more than CO? I'm just curious why you think that. I live in Texas (from CA), but I'm not her biggest fan so, that's not the reason why I'm wondering.

Here's a link to the school shootings in this country from 2010 and prior.

School Shootings Stats

Texas has had one with deaths, at UT Austin and that was in 1966. It was the first school shooting in this country. It does appear, though, that most of the school shootings (with the exception of CA) were in the south. Trust me; southerners definitely are "something else" when it comes to guns.

Take a look at the worldwide statistics on the link. The USA leads by leaps and bounds.

The Luby's and Ft. Hood massacres were terrible, two absolute lunatics as in the case of Columbine and Aurora with three lunatics. There are crazies everywhere and none of us are safe.

My heart goes out to the people in CO and especially to those who lost family members. May God comfort them during this most difficult time.

My great-nephew is in the Navy and stationed in Aurora. Thank God he and his family are okay and were NOT at the theater.
I think he means that TX has generally been a more gun-friendly state than CO. Plus, it's a much bigger and more populous state, and more people = more crime.
However, the incidents in TX didn't happen within such a short span of time, nor we're they all in the same metro area.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:49 PM

5,199 posts, read 11,369,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art20123 View Post
I think he means that TX has generally been a more gun-friendly state than CO. Plus, it's a much bigger and more populous state, and more people = more crime.
However, the incidents in TX didn't happen within such a short span of time, nor we're they all in the same metro area.
That's true (around 26 million people in TX and a bit over 5 million in CO) and according to a site I just checked out covering fifteen years (1996-2010), Texas has had 92 murders per 100,000 people as opposed to 55.8 in Colorado. Of course, this covers all types of killings, mass, domestic, etc. Sad, sad, sad.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 07-21-2012 at 12:58 PM..

Old 07-21-2012, 01:03 PM

48 posts, read 56,880 times
My prayers go out to the family and friends of the victims and all of the people who went through this experience. When I first heard about this tragic event on the news, I was shocked! It really scares me because no matter where you go, you're not safe. Something as tragic as this could happen everywhere at any given moment on any given day. It makes me wonder what this world is coming to.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:09 PM

It seems as though there's a spirit of evil in Colorado in general. 4 shootings in just over a decade and the worst wildfire season in years. Satan is real, and he seems to be unusually active here lately.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:12 PM

8,671 posts, read 8,828,199 times
Why does Colorado still have one of the lowest Violent crime rates dispite these?

Old 07-21-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Why does Colorado still have one of the lowest Violent crime rates dispite these?
Really? Where did you get this? Also, who scored the highest?

Old 07-21-2012, 04:03 PM

6,182 posts, read 9,499,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art20123 View Post
Really? Where did you get this? Also, who scored the highest?

According to a 2009 abstract from the census bureau, Colorado ranks 26th out of the 50 states and DC in Total Violent Crime Rate.
DC is #1, Nevada is #2.

Which state do you think, based on political proclivity, has a higher violent crime rate? Texas or California? If you guess California, you'd be wrong. Uber-liberal California is 16, and ultra-conservative Texas is 15th.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0308.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or