U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 10:40 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,465,276 times

Advertisements

We relocated to Colorado in Spring of 2011 and we love it here! We are into skiing, but last year we only went to Eldora (we live in Boulder and like the ease of getting there). This year I want to plan a little vacation over Thanksgiving, and would want to spend 3-4 days at one of the resorts. We are two adults and two kids ages 14 and 8. Which resort is likely to have decent snow by the end of November? Which one would you recommend for "winter things", other than skiing - dog sledding, snow shoeing maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 10:53 AM

2,395 posts, read 4,160,231 times
Skiing isn't very good by Thanksgiving unless we get some major dumps. The most likely to have the best snow would be Arapahoe Basin or Loveland due to the elevation

If we don't get good dumps I'd probably go to Keystone since they have much better snow making capabilities

Old 07-20-2012, 08:06 PM

10,869 posts, read 41,128,193 times
I'd suggest Vail as a destination resort.

They've got good snowmaking capacity if natural snowfall hasn't been adequate, and they have some of the industry leading slope management to condition the slopes if the snowfall has been marginal.

I've skiied Vail's Back Bowls on Thanksgiving when they were waist-deep or more powder, and have seen a fair number of years where their slope management has provided decent skiing when the natural snowfalls were minimal.

Vail has other attractions to complete your stay, too.

At this point, it's anybody's guess this year as to what the weather/snow patterns will be, but it's worthwhile to check out the pre-season promotions and rates, and book a place now while they're available. If the season shapes up to be a good one, rates will go up and availability will be scarce later.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:10 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
If you are looking at a destination to go to then Vail would be the best at that time of year. Of course getting good snow in October and November helps, but they do a lot of snowmaking with the goal of making sure Thanksgiving it's reasonably decent. In my experience there might be one crappy year out of ten. I can remember several Thanksgivings that were pretty wild due to all the snow and one in particular was funny because November we were hammered with snow and then for 2 weeks in December we had nothing.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:40 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,465,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I'd suggest Vail as a destination resort.

At this point, it's anybody's guess this year as to what the weather/snow patterns will be, but it's worthwhile to check out the pre-season promotions and rates, and book a place now while they're available. If the season shapes up to be a good one, rates will go up and availability will be scarce later.
Exactly my thinking regarding the rates and availability. It helps to live by a little ski area - if snow is not that great during vacation, we can still get our fix later, on weekends. And this is why I'm looking for a "destination" = other things to do. Looks like Vail it is.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:07 PM

215 posts, read 274,457 times
Wolf Creek. Its not near Boulder though.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:31 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Gone View Post
Wolf Creek.
Climatic data does not bear this out. The southern half of Colorado, in particular, has very unreliable snowfall in the early part of the winter season. Typically, late November through December is one of the driest periods of the year in southern and southwestern Colorado.

In November and December, the northwestern mountains (e.g., Steamboat Springs) typically has more reliable conditions for snowfall, but it is no sure bet there, either.

That is why Colorado ski areas have invested millions in snowmaking equipment in order to make artificial snow so that they could reliably have something besides bare dirt on the slopes at Thanksgiving. It may interesting this year to see if some of the ski areas even have water to run the snowmaking equipment. Streamflows may be minimal by then and the ski areas water rights are often way junior to other users.

Thanksgiving skiing is pretty much a sucker's bet in Colorado. Sometimes it can be OK, but often it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado