U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 05:40 AM

8 posts, read 13,014 times

Advertisements

I may sympathize with your friends situation but that is not the point. Every country has not only the right, but an obligation to control the flow of people coming into that country. For many reasons, not least of which is to control terrorist threats inside of this country. By the way, they are not imaginary lines. Just as the lines around Mexico are not imaginary. You may not like the speed at which we allow people into the United States, but until you start your own country, you have to live by the laws set forth in the country you want to move to. Again, on a micro level I have complete sympathy for your friend, however, on a macro level we have to think about what is best for this country.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:12 AM

10,521 posts, read 11,628,203 times
Olathe.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:50 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Olathe.
Yes, that would be the little town of not much over a thousand residents that is nationally ranked by the FBI as a town "under significant influence" of the Mexican drug cartels. Sad fact, that those cartels employ a goodly number of illegal immigrants as "mules" and other low-level operatives in their "enterprise." That hardly endears the "illegals" to the local populations.

Fact is, most Coloradans don't have much use for illegal immigrants. I've found that feeling often the strongest among the Hispanics who have lived in Colorado and other Rocky Mountain States for generations. You won't read about that in the mainstream media, but spend some time among the "native" Hispanic community in this region (which I have) and you will find that opinion to be fairly common. I can not abide people who blatantly break the law to immigrate here illegally--no matter what their ethnicity or nationality.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:22 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
mschmidt1962 wrote: By the way, they are not imaginary lines. Just as the lines around Mexico are not imaginary.

Maybe not imaginary, but man made nonetheless. The creator certainly didn't put em there! The animals who are more in tune with the Earth, pay no attention to those man made lines, unless there is a man made barrier to stop them. The birds don't even pay attention to that, they just fly right over as if the barriers didn't even exist. Sometime the animals dispay much greater wisdom than humans.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times
Look to farming towns.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:02 AM

jazzlover wrote: I can not abide people who blatantly break the law to immigrate here illegally--no matter what their ethnicity or nationality.

The situation in the lives of some people can be so dire, that compliance with the law is not an option for them. On ocassion, we all have to do what we have to do, illegal immigrants included. You know as well as I do that some illegal immigrants are actually far better citizens than some legal immigrants. Having legal immigrant status doesn't make that person intrinsically better than somone without it.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
jazzlover wrote: I can not abide people who blatantly break the law to immigrate here illegally--no matter what their ethnicity or nationality.

The situation in the lives of some people can be so dire, that compliance with the law is not an option for them. On ocassion, we all have to do what we have to do, illegal immigrants included. You know as well as I do that some illegal immigrants are actually far better citizens than some legal immigrants. Having legal immigrant status doesn't make that person intrinsically better than somone without it.
So, by your logic, Cosmic, people should be allowed to deal illegal narcotics to the public, or rob banks, or burglarize homes when those people's circumstances are "dire." Sorry, but breaking the law is breaking the law. Emigrating to the US illegally is a crime and it is not a victimless crime. Everybody else who is here legally, either by birth or by legal immigration, pays for it in one way or another--in taxes, in reduced job opportunities for American citizens and legal immigrants, etc. Yes, there are bad, lawbreaking American citizens, but using that as a justification to allow illegal immigration is like the little kid saying to his mother, "Well, Johnny did something wrong and he got away with it, why can't I?"

Old 07-23-2012, 11:44 AM

Jazz...I think you know that I do not advocate the things you mention, which in my mind at least are radically different than illegal immigration. The other things are intrinsically violent, whereas illegal immigration is not an act of violence. While Illegal immigration does indeed take jobs away from legal citizens, the number of jobs going to illegal immigrants pales in comparion to the perfectly legal practice of off shoring jobs to low wage countries. And the people responsible for this are probably paying about as much tax as an illegal immigrant pays. It is rumored that one of them is even running for president.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:22 PM

Cosmic,

We're probably veering off into a topic for the politics forum, so I will leave what I've said above at that. My point was that most Coloradans are law-abiding citizens who likely don't warm to the idea of illegal immigration. And, again, those who try to characterize people who feel that way as bigots or racist would be wrong most of the time. Some of the most vehement denouncements of illegal immigration that I've heard in Colorado or New Mexico come from US-born Hispanics, or from legal immigrants who feel that it is grossly wrong when they followed the law and illegals are not held to the same standard.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:42 PM

^^^ Your point is well taken. Just to be clear, I'm not insinuating that someone who is against illegal immigration is a necessarily a racist or a bigot. My point is that each one of us, no matter where we were born, was created by the same creator. In that sense we're all equals, while immigration laws introduce an artifical inequality on to humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado