Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 02:38 PM

232 posts, read 804,752 times

Advertisements

Ok, so it's actually for a motorcycle. Seller has bill of sale, but no title. Looked on the DMV website, and instructions to get new title look simple enough, but just want to make sure there isn't anything else I should know? If I'm not the original owner who lost the title, can I still get a new title? They ask for the old "title number", but how am I supposed to know it, if the darn thing is lost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 02:41 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,731 times
Don't buy a vehicle without the title in hand

Old 07-27-2012, 06:09 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
If the seller now is the one who "lost" the title, then have them apply for a replacement title. Unless it's a very old title, Colorado will be able to research it and issue a replacement. If the seller only received a bill of sale when they bought the bike, then they need to go back to the folk that sold them the bike to get the replacement title which can be used to transfer ownership to the current seller.

Even at that, I lost a title to a 1960's vintage motorcycle that I owned but I found an old registration that had the title number on it; Colorado was able to issue a replacement title.

Absent the seller being able to get the title, you should have a search done on the VIN number to be sure that it's not on any stolen listing. You can apply for a title by publication, which involves publishing legal notices of intent to obtain title and posting a bond for the value of the bike. Unless somebody comes forward claiming ownership, you'll be able to get a clear bonded title in a couple of months. Of course, if you have to do this process and the risk greatly devalues the price of the bike, pay accordingly for the bike. If there's anything that goes wrong with the deal, you could be out all of your money and the bike, too.

If there's any doubt that you can obtain a clear title, then walk away from the deal now.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:52 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
Yes, have Colorado do a title search, it only costs $20. Obtainng a title for a motorcycle without one is a giant pain in the ass here. You have to secure a bond that's double the value of the item, before they'll issue it, and it will be an assembled vehicle title. been through it before, never again.

Stay away from anything without a title, it's not worth it, unless it's some kind of rare irreplaceable vehicle.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:55 AM

432 posts, read 414,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Don't buy a vehicle without the title in hand
Many states do not issue titles for older cars, usually over 15 years.
The car could be a perfectly clean pebble beach concours winner, but sorry, no title.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:08 PM

36 posts, read 118,918 times
I would go and do a VIN search on the cycle from CarFax.com. This will allow a more in depth look at the status of the vehicle. Plus it's free! If a title existed in the first place, and say by chance the title has been reported lost or stolen, that may help you out. However, the best bet is to go to the DMV (bring a drink because you'll be awhile) and have them run a title search on it. You don't wanna end up being scammed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado