U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:01 AM

84,962 posts, read 98,795,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacation bound View Post
Such great information coming in this thread. One of the things mentioned is him driving. Well he will be going out there without a car, so I'm not concerned with him driving. He may use his friends car but I doubt it. He has already started putting applications in and if he gets any respone, the one question will be when can I start. the sooner the bettter since he is not working now. As of right now the plan is to work the season at a resort and then if he likes it out there, his friend and he will look for work in Boulder. I really appreciate all of the responses and lenghthy ones at that. If he does head out there I will update everyone on what happens. Thank you again.
I think it would be very hard to live in Vail without a car. Something to consider. Boulder would be much easier to live in carless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 08:22 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,607,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think it would be very hard to live in Vail without a car. Something to consider. Boulder would be much easier to live in carless.
Vail has a great transportation system which is free in town and goes all the way out to Gypsum for a small fee. There is no need for a car in a town where parking is limited and expensive.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:26 AM

84,962 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Vail has a great transportation system which is free in town and goes all the way out to Gypsum for a small fee. There is no need for a car in a town where parking is limited and expensive.
Point taken, but you would be pretty isolated. In Denver and Boulder you can take the RTD to the airport and all over the metro area.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:10 AM

10,869 posts, read 41,139,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Point taken, but you would be pretty isolated. In Denver and Boulder you can take the RTD to the airport and all over the metro area.
Totally wrong on this one, Katiana ... "isolation" is not a problem in Vail, ranging through the entire area served by the public transportation system, and served at no charge to the passengers with very frequent service ... several buses per hour through early AM into the evenings.

It's convenient enough that unless I need to pick up materials at The Home Depot, I'll use the local transportation system rather than my own vehicle when I'm staying in Vail.

In fact, with the limited parking around Vail and it's environs, depending upon your own vehicle for local transportation can be a bigger liability than an asset. Once you've parked your vehicle at a residence or hotel facility, it's easier to get around the Valley via public transportation than your own. If you are living in the Vail area and working in Vail ... as the OP's son might be doing ... you'd be relying upon the convenience of the public transportation system. I've known people to use their vehicle to drive into Vail ... and actually have to walk further to their destination from the main parking garage than if they'd have used the public transportation from where they were living to where they were working; that was in addition to the parking garage fees which can add up if you're parking there everyday.

It's easy to reach the main Vail Transportation Center via those circulating buses, and there's direct bus service to Denver and DIA from the VTC, or a number of DIA to Vail private van services that aren't very expensive.

I've only been a Vail homeowner since 1982, but even then the local transportation district was well established and in those days the buses or Vans to Vail service was in full operation. When I had guests flying into Denver, it was very convenient for them to come up to Vail to visit and return via public transportation.

Last edited by sunsprit; 08-01-2012 at 09:21 AM..

Old 08-01-2012, 10:22 AM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
I had friends that got around for years with the bus system. Of course many of them were only there for winter.

Many, including the internationals, if they were there for summer or for several seasons would get a cheap car. Getting things like groceries or traveling outside of the valley becomes more of a pain the butt without a car.

The main thing you need to remember is the bus system is highly variable depending on the seasons. They reduce their schedule in the off seasons and in addition there are 2 bus systems, the Town of Vail and the Eagle County system.

I would say if you plan on being there outside of winter, I would have a car to get where you want when you want. When the bus system is running full tilt in winter, you can leave your car to sit some, but personally I would not be without a car.

If you already own a car, take it.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:30 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,199,178 times
But how does one go to all the incredible hiking trails away from Vail without a vehicle? Or go on backpacking trips? Or travel the state?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:40 AM

352 posts, read 564,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
But how does one go to all the incredible hiking trails away from Vail without a vehicle? Or go on backpacking trips? Or travel the state?
You bum a ride from somebody with the forethought to own a vehicle.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:42 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,197,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I had friends that got around for years with the bus system. Of course many of them were only there for winter.

Many, including the internationals, if they were there for summer or for several seasons would get a cheap car. Getting things like groceries or traveling outside of the valley becomes more of a pain the butt without a car.

The main thing you need to remember is the bus system is highly variable depending on the seasons. They reduce their schedule in the off seasons and in addition there are 2 bus systems, the Town of Vail and the Eagle County system.

I would say if you plan on being there outside of winter, I would have a car to get where you want when you want. When the bus system is running full tilt in winter, you can leave your car to sit some, but personally I would not be without a car.

If you already own a car, take it.
Quote:
It does sound like the OP's son's friend, who is also living in Vail, has a car and is willing to share (or at least offer rides). I don't necessarily think a car is an absolute necessity for living in the Vail area. As long as you find a place to live along the transportation routes, have some patience, and have the ability to get around via walking or an alternative form, it's totally doable.

I'm guessing that the OP's son might not be doing much travel away from Vail during the winter to access hiking trails, etc. Come summer, this desire may change.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:06 AM

10,869 posts, read 41,139,178 times
Quote:
There's a lot of trailheads readily accessible close in Vail. From TOV center, you're looking at trails up the mountain system. In East Vail, the trail up to Vail Pass is a short distance up from the last Bighorn Bus stop; that allows you super access to a lot of hikes in the area. From West Vail, there's a lot of hiking to the downvalley areas.

If you are backpacking into the adjacent areas, then you're good to go. I've watched tenants of mine depart from an East Vail residence for a week's worth of backpacking right from our front doorstep.

Travel the state? that's a whole different issue. Bus or Van service to Denver readily available from Vail. If you're thinking about access to the many recreation areas around the state, then your own vehicle is the most convenient, of course ... and likely the only practical way to access them. But that's not a problem limited to Vail ... the same transportation issue presents for everybody living anywhere else in the state.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:16 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
It does sound like the OP's son's friend, who is also living in Vail, has a car and is willing to share (or at least offer rides). I don't necessarily think a car is an absolute necessity for living in the Vail area. As long as you find a place to live along the transportation routes, have some patience, and have the ability to get around via walking or an alternative form, it's totally doable.

I'm guessing that the OP's son might not be doing much travel away from Vail during the winter to access hiking trails, etc. Come summer, this desire may change.
I think if you have one, bring it. I wouldn't necessarily rely on the friend and the availability of a car.

I mean certainly one can use the bus system in season or bike to work in summer, if possible(it would have been an 8 mile ride for me and being a sweaty mess turning up to work is not my thing), but having a car just gives you more options to go where you want when you need to. The other thing you have to keep in mind is that in Vail and the local area, many jobs at restaurants, hotels or other jobs you might be working weird hours where the bus system isn't going to be of help. The company I worked for, in winter time we actually had an employee shuttle that ran 24 hours a day between work, housing, City Market and one other stop. Running that shuttle probably cost the company $40 an hour in direct costs, 24 hours a day, but it should clearly demonstrate that the bus system did not work for us, even being on the bus route and even having a stop. The bus worked for people for their leisure activities, not so much for work.

I don't know why people are insistent on this bus thing, they don't run consistently year round and the Eagle County buses do cost money. Yeah definitely they have their use, but if one has a car, bring it, you'll need it. Someday you are going to move apartments, or have to go elsewhere in the state, or go home to visit or travel in bad or cold weather where walking isn't going to be fun, or have to work until 3 AM or start at 5 AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado