U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 03:16 PM

10,878 posts, read 41,277,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think if you have one, bring it. I wouldn't necessarily rely on the friend and the availability of a car.

I don't know why people are insistent on this bus thing, they don't run consistently year round and the Eagle County buses do cost money. Yeah definitely they have their use, but if one has a car, bring it, you'll need it.
Of course, if you have a vehicle, bring it.

But the OP's son apparently doesn't have one, so the question presents as to how livable Vail is without one.

Judging from many of my tenants over 30 years who didn't have a car and got around for all their needs and local recreation, medical access, shopping, and work ... it's certainly very doable. I had a group of tenants renting a 4 bdr house for 16 years (with only two of the people there the whole 16 years, year around full time) ... that didn't have cars. They did have a few mountain bikes they used in the months they could, but otherwise, they were entirely dependent upon the bus system to East Vail. Some worked for the Vail ski corp, but most worked two jobs and had the daytime hourly wage job ... lift ticket operator, ski instructor, ski patrol, etc. and then worked a hospitality job into the evening ... bartending, waiting tables, maitre'd, or back in the kitchen ... line cooks, dishwashing, etc. One did maintenance work, odd jobs for years and didn't have a vehicle; either rode a bicycle or took the bus around town doing minor carpentry, plumbing, and electrical work for townhomes and apartments complexes. When I talked with them through the years, they seemed to be very happy with the outdoor recreational access they had from the place.

Similarly, I'd been going to Vail for years before I bought my places in 1982. I used to have access to condo's at Antlers, the Marriot, Montaneros, the Racket club, several in West Vail on the north side of I-70 (close by the City Market or Safeway), and even The Lodge at Vail. Once I got to those places, I parked my car and relied upon the bus system unless I was heading over to Dillon for sailing. In ski season, there was no reason to use my car for anything locally. Why drive a couple of miles to pay to park in the garage when I could walk out to a bus stop and get dropped off by the bridge and walk to the lifts from there? With the distances from West through to East Vail, the bus system is efficient; granted, very late night hours for a work schedule can be a low service time for the buses .... but the system does run until quite late at night with that need in mind. It's not like the local workers are orphaned by the bus system.

The point is, for somebody on a budget just starting out as a worker in Vail, they can survive without a car and they won't be "isolated" or unable to have access to work/play/shopping. Granted, there are some jobs that are essentially "on call" and will have odd hours out of the normal workforce schedule, but that's not the norm.

Last edited by sunsprit; 08-01-2012 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:29 AM

312 posts, read 901,726 times
Very good points given here. No my son doesn't have a car at this time. He is going to have to use the transportation out there to get around or use a bike. The main concern is how many jobs he is going to have to work to be able to live. the only bills he has right now is through family and can wait to be paid back until he gets settled in. I'm hoping he can live at the resort where he will get a job just to make things a little easier.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:35 AM

4,640 posts, read 9,145,374 times
Vacation bound, it's nice that you are doing some research for your son, but hopefully HE is spending lots of time reading through the different threads on this forum about finding work and places to live at the resorts. There are many of us who have done the same thing in the past, and he (not you) can learn a lot about what to expect.

I moved to Steamboat Springs when I was 23, didn't have a car or a job, and also didn't have the benefit of forums like this to learn from other people's wisdom. As others have already said, it's time to let him get out on his own and start learning about life.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:56 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,055,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacation bound View Post
Very good points given here. No my son doesn't have a car at this time. He is going to have to use the transportation out there to get around or use a bike. The main concern is how many jobs he is going to have to work to be able to live. the only bills he has right now is through family and can wait to be paid back until he gets settled in. I'm hoping he can live at the resort where he will get a job just to make things a little easier.
Understand the resort is actually a real town in a valley. The town is very narrow due to being in a tight valley, but the town is long, stretched out over 13 miles along I-70. And down below Vail is another 10+ miles of town(Eagle Vail, Avon and Edwards).

Yes he might have to work a lot of hours to make it work. Usually in winter I worked 70-100 hours a week, so I could have enough money to last through the year as summer could be variable.

What he has to wrap his head around is that this isn't a regular town with steady business being traded day to day. Instead it is tourism based and the tourists mainly come for only 6-7 months a year. Good full time year round jobs are not impossible to get, but harder to get for someone new to the valley.

A lot of people have 2-4 different jobs in a year. My sister still waited tables to earn money even after getting a good full time job. Myself I worked a lot of hours and also did some freelance work in destination management as well. A lot of other people would have 2 jobs in winter and a completely different job in summer like working construction or at the golf courses, etc. You have to be creative. It's one of the most expensive communities in the USA and a lot of people want to be there.

Also when he comes out he should have some money to get started as he'll need money for a deposit for his living situation and other expenses until he gets a job.

Has he investigated any jobs yet? He can start doing research and talking to employers now before coming out there. Does he even know where to look?

Old 08-02-2012, 01:02 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,055,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Vacation bound, it's nice that you are doing some research for your son, but hopefully HE is spending lots of time reading through the different threads on this forum about finding work and places to live at the resorts. There are many of us who have done the same thing in the past, and he (not you) can learn a lot about what to expect.

I moved to Steamboat Springs when I was 23, didn't have a car or a job, and also didn't have the benefit of forums like this to learn from other people's wisdom. As others have already said, it's time to let him get out on his own and start learning about life.
Yes, I am wondering too where his initiative is and it should be him on this forum asking questions, especially when people like me can point him right at a potential employer.

When I decided to live my dream and finally be able to live in Colorado after college, I got online and started researching jobs in the valley and found a company right up my alley, applied and got hired. I had only planned to work there for a winter but ended up there for nearly 8 years. Mom didn't do it for me.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:22 PM

352 posts, read 565,937 times
Just as he walks out the door for the last time, tap him on the shoulder and say "and we're not sending you any money from this point on. Good luck, son" and check out his expression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado