U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 01:40 PM

26 posts, read 89,377 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering moving to Grand Junction and wanted to get a sense of the town's vibe - would you consider it liberal, conservative, neither. Blue-collar/white collar, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 01:37 AM

2,008 posts, read 2,978,107 times
i used to live near there about 10 years ago. when i left i noticed a few things, it seemed pretty conservative, wages are low and price of living is high. they have an economy that seems to rubber band from good to bad to good to bad. crime wasn't bad, but the bad times were just that, bad. and for no bigger than it was, the traffic was brutal, just ridiculous.

keep in mind, my information is about 10 years old...

Old 10-04-2007, 09:45 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,840,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
i used to live near there about 10 years ago. when i left i noticed a few things, it seemed pretty conservative, wages are low and price of living is high. they have an economy that seems to rubber band from good to bad to good to bad. crime wasn't bad, but the bad times were just that, bad. and for no bigger than it was, the traffic was brutal, just ridiculous.

keep in mind, my information is about 10 years old...
Everything bad about Grand Junction has gotten worse; everything good has gotten worse, too. Crime, traffic, drugs, sprawl--all worse. The only positive thing is that the economy, driven by the gas drilling boom, is booming. Grand Junction is still the trade center for western Colorado, so it has a mixed blue collar/white collar population, but there are lot of "boomers" (not "baby-boomers", but petroleum industry folks who follow the booms in that industry) moving in. They, and the affluent retirees moving in, are driving the real estate market up into the ozone. Used to be nice town. As I have posted before, it's not so nice anymore. I know a couple of people who had really good paying jobs in the gas industry who still couldn't afford a decent house in Grand Junction. They took lower paying jobs in other areas far from western Colorado where--despite lower incomes--they could afford decent housing.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:35 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,914,678 times
Former Lover Of Grand Junction.

It totally depends on your values really. I am a libertarian and I loved it there. I currently live in Colorado Springs (again, born and raised here) but I miss GJ with all my heart. If I had the money and if my father weren't in his 70s (a grandfather that passed on at 75) I would totally be there again.

What's there to say abou GJ? A lot and if I had more time, I would write an article on just it. I will tell you this, it's a nice place to live. So much to offer outside the jobs and such. If I had the money and a private plane (to come see my dad) I would back in a hearbeat.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:21 PM

17 posts, read 90,287 times
Want to know about GJ eh? Well, having lived here since '78 (minus a 10 year absence), I can sum it up in three words...I'm outta here!

Jazzlover is right, the recent energy boom has pushed the local real estate out of reach for all but the better off. If you're an average joe making less than 80K/yr, forget it. Real estate may have tanked in the rest of the country lately, but you couldn't tell it by looking here. Building is strong and prices are high. Vacancy rates are around 1.5% and most retail/service businesses in town can't find enough workers. Finding workers is so hard now (because EVERYONE has "gone to the rigs") that even Taco Bell is starting their workers off at $9.50/hr.

Unfortunately, the wages are still FAR behind the cost of living here. That's why after being back here for the last 15 years, I'm heading out. I'm tired of just "getting by" and not being able to plan a decent future here. I just went through my third layoff in a row thanks to corporate downsizing/centralization (everyone keeps moving the good jobs to Denver.)

As for the local social climate, it used to be really bad with the "good 'ol boy" network, but the it seems to be diminishing a little. It's still a very laid back, western feel town, but now all the big box stores are moving in so even that is slowly disappearing. What to do? As long as you're huge on outdoor activities, you're good. Hiking, biking, skiing, fishing, hunting. All here or within a short drive. If you're more into social activities, dancing, fine restaurants, shows, concerts, things are still lacking IMO. Crime has slowly been rising too with the influx of people. Child molesters (note: including a high school teacher and a clown that entertained children's parties), drugs (especially meth), arson, assaults, shootings have been on the increase. Not sure if it's the lack of things to do or just because of the transplants. Either way, I'm sick of it. If I have to deal with the problems of the bigger cities, I'd rather live there and at least have the wages and entertainment options that go with it.

For a better feel, check out the local news with the two local newspapers, the Daily Sentinel and the Free Press.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:58 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,840,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm64 View Post
Want to know about GJ eh? Well, having lived here since '78 (minus a 10 year absence), I can sum it up in three words...I'm outta here!

Jazzlover is right, the recent energy boom has pushed the local real estate out of reach for all but the better off. If you're an average joe making less than 80K/yr, forget it. Real estate may have tanked in the rest of the country lately, but you couldn't tell it by looking here. Building is strong and prices are high. Vacancy rates are around 1.5% and most retail/service businesses in town can't find enough workers. Finding workers is so hard now (because EVERYONE has "gone to the rigs") that even Taco Bell is starting their workers off at $9.50/hr.

Unfortunately, the wages are still FAR behind the cost of living here. That's why after being back here for the last 15 years, I'm heading out. I'm tired of just "getting by" and not being able to plan a decent future here. I just went through my third layoff in a row thanks to corporate downsizing/centralization (everyone keeps moving the good jobs to Denver.)

As for the local social climate, it used to be really bad with the "good 'ol boy" network, but the it seems to be diminishing a little. It's still a very laid back, western feel town, but now all the big box stores are moving in so even that is slowly disappearing. What to do? As long as you're huge on outdoor activities, you're good. Hiking, biking, skiing, fishing, hunting. All here or within a short drive. If you're more into social activities, dancing, fine restaurants, shows, concerts, things are still lacking IMO. Crime has slowly been rising too with the influx of people. Child molesters (note: including a high school teacher and a clown that entertained children's parties), drugs (especially meth), arson, assaults, shootings have been on the increase. Not sure if it's the lack of things to do or just because of the transplants. Either way, I'm sick of it. If I have to deal with the problems of the bigger cities, I'd rather live there and at least have the wages and entertainment options that go with it.

For a better feel, check out the local news with the two local newspapers, the Daily Sentinel and the Free Press.
A friend of mine who has worked in Grand Junction for nearly 30 years (now just waiting to get his retirement in a couple of years and leave) summed today's Grand Junction up the best: It is a place with most all of the problems of a bigger city and almost none of the amenities.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:31 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,869,863 times
I've been living in Grand Junction for just about 15 months, and I have enjoyed it thus far, and it grows on me the longer I'm here. Compared to the 1.5 million metro area ( Virginia Beach-Norfolk ) I moved from, this place is paradise....light traffic, clean air, affordable housing ( although that is rapidly changing ), lots of outdoor activities locally available, fantastic day trips location with a 2 hr drive, good climate.

On the downside, the job situation ain't all that great and the pay is rather lousy. EG: I took a $12K paycut for the same job I was doing in Virginia Beach, and I'm getting less than half the vacation time. This is more of a blue-collar town than Virginia Beach.

There are both liberal elements and conservative elements here, though it seems to be predomionantly conservative. Since I get along with all types of people, that is a non-issue for me.

Before deciding upon a move to GJ, I highly recommend a short visit. Get a feel for the place. Take everything you read on this forum with a grain of salt. All we can do is give you our own personal opinions and impressions, which are probably quite different than your own. It's all relative. Jazzlover remembers the place from the good ole days so to him it's gone downhill, whereas I came from a crowded, over-populated, polluted east coast metro area, so it seems like a paradise to me. You'll have to visit and draw your own conclusions becasue Jazzlovers impression is as valid as mine, and mine is as valid as his. We're looking at the same place from different perspectives.

blessings...FRanco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 10-08-2007 at 12:41 PM..

Old 10-09-2007, 01:42 PM

26 posts, read 89,377 times
Many thanks, Franco, and to everyone who took the time to provide their opinions! Much appreciated.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:50 AM

17 posts, read 90,287 times
What the others here say is true, YOMV (your opinion may vary) depending on your perspective and what you're comparing it to. It's all subjective. Visiting first is definitely a good idea if possible. Just make sure you actually look at it through a newcomers eyes and not as a tourist. For tourists, it's great because you know you're going back home so it's all pretty and sweet. IMO newcomers are often disappointed from an economical viewpoint (wages, benefits, housing, etc.) That $25/hr job back east will probably only pay $12-$15/hr here.

And I almost forgot the MOST important thing about all of Colorado, there's really only two seasons...

Ski season

&

Construction season (they can't fix or build roads when the ground is frozen solid)

Old 10-10-2007, 07:38 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,869,863 times
I might add, that in Grand Junction, Construction Season is year round.

blessings...Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado