U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 03:19 PM

15 posts, read 18,946 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
My hubby and I live right outside of Boston Ma. We are very tired of the tons of rude people, tons of traffic, and they city life...Hubby was tired of the winters..but we heard that the winters in Colorado are "different". We heard that it can snow in the morning and be gone by the afternoon, and that the chill does not go to your bones like here in Mass. I am sure the more up in the mountains you are ..the worse the conditions are...
I am a RN in PACU/NICU II settings and hubby is a Mental Health Technician going back to school to be a nurse or NP. We are looking not to be in a big city area, but also not out in the "boonies". Hubby wants to go to a community college w/ a nursing program.
We also like doing a lot of outdoor activities like hiking, biking, horseback riding...etc.
We also want to still belong to some sort of CSA as we try to eat grass fed meat/organic foods...locally grown...
Right now we live in a 650 sq ft poorly insulated condo for 1200... I really want to have a house.. we can rent for now.. that is fine.
We are very open for any suggestions as to the best place/s to live in Colorado...
Thanks soo much for suggestions!!
Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 03:44 PM

1,778 posts, read 3,490,868 times
I'd find a few jobs first. My daughter is an RN in OKCity. Her and her husband tried FT. Collins in looking for jobs. Ft. Collins has an universtity so they hire right out of their own university plus every young person wants to live there because of the outdoor activities. Her husband could have found a job in his field for a lot less than he makes but for my daughter the RN, they like the on call ones or part times without benefits. I guess they do not have a shortage of nurses like other places. They're dream is still CO but with a toddler that didn't work out. I think the Springs or Denver would work but there again your in the city. I personally prefer southern Colorado. Price wise you could get a house for less than your apartment in Trinidad area I would think. They have a hospital there that might need RNs. I have that town on my retirement list and would love my daughter to check their hospital out but for her husband there wouldn't be a job in his field.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:20 PM

20,363 posts, read 37,902,723 times
Yes, Colorado Springs has all the things the OP seeks, with four major hospitals and lots of medical facilities.

Close to outdoor sports, scenery, city amenities without the Boston, NYC, DC crush of people and rude dudes.

We have UC-Colorado Springs and Pikes Peak Community College.

IIRC we have a least one CSA and stores selling organic grass fed beef and bison meats.

Check rentals on padmapper.com and ppar.com shows both rentals and sale homes. You'll be nicely surprised at how low things are compared to coastal areas.

Memorial Health System has two major hospitals here and Penrose - St Francis has two major hospitals.

Denver has the mother lode of hospitals in the state and it's only slightly more expensive than COLO SPGS. There are lots of areas to live there that are not teeming with people and the light rail system is growing nicely. It has five pro sports teams and a huge array of shows, arts, museums and events.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-04-2012 at 06:41 PM..

Old 08-04-2012, 08:41 PM

68 posts, read 144,223 times
I always liked Mike from Back East, however I am starting to think he is a realtor or other businessman who depends on the vibrancy of the Springs. The Springs is nice, but the world doesn't revolve around the Springs

Old 08-04-2012, 08:59 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,065,986 times
Colorado has plenty of cold no matter where you are at in the state. What you will find different is the wind which blows much stronger in Colorado that in Mass and that means nasty wind chills at time. While it may be "different", winter is the dominate weather pattern in the state and you will not escape it. It can snow as early as Sept and as late as May, even at lower elevations.

The other thing you are going to run into is Colorado has most of it's population clustered into urban/suburban areas so there is really nothing like living in a medium sized town in most cases. In New England you have an even spread of population centers but in CO it tends to be either big city or tiny town.

The first thing I would do before you get too deep into this is actually come out and visit because I have known plenty from the northeast where the arid, high elevation, windy and often cold weather doesn't sit well with them and in addition the whole CO culture and layout of the cities doesn't work either. I'd do that first and if satisfied, then look for jobs and do the math.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:13 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,065,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe View Post
I always liked Mike from Back East, however I am starting to think he is a realtor or other businessman who depends on the vibrancy of the Springs. The Springs is nice, but the world doesn't revolve around the Springs
A lot of people like the Springs, but for whatever reason it's never clicked with me. It might be because of so many family members from Denver and spending time there as a youngster that's what I got used to and became comfortable with.

For every 3 people I have known with dreams and fantasies about living in Colorado, I'd say 2 have left within a year or two, with one staying long term. It's not a state for everyone. When it comes to practical day to day living, I find the Northeast sometimes offers more.

I think the big myth that needs to be flushed is that Colorado is a state with moderate weather. Due to the mountains and CO being the crossroads of various weather patterns, it's a very temperamental state when it comes to weather. All of my lifetime worst weather experiences have been in Denver, CO. I don't even think going through hurricanes in the southeast was as bad as some of the storms I went through in Denver. People always talk about how moderate the winter weather is on the front range and then when I'd go down there 4-10 times a week in winter from Vail, often the weather would be worse there than in Vail and almost always regardless I'd be whipped with wind and have to thaw out my fingers constantly. Yeah occasionally in winter it hits 60 degrees and it's a nice day due to the jet stream dipping south to Florida, but winter is never far away.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:42 PM

20,363 posts, read 37,902,723 times
Quote:
No, I'm not a realtor, or developer, or builder, or banker, or property manager, or in the business in any way. I like this city and the many excellent things it offers at prices vastly more affordable than the DC region that we're from, not to mention most other coastal regions.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:35 PM

85,058 posts, read 99,087,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I'd find a few jobs first. My daughter is an RN in OKCity. Her and her husband tried FT. Collins in looking for jobs. Ft. Collins has an universtity so they hire right out of their own university plus every young person wants to live there because of the outdoor activities. Her husband could have found a job in his field for a lot less than he makes but for my daughter the RN, they like the on call ones or part times without benefits. I guess they do not have a shortage of nurses like other places. They're dream is still CO but with a toddler that didn't work out. I think the Springs or Denver would work but there again your in the city. I personally prefer southern Colorado. Price wise you could get a house for less than your apartment in Trinidad area I would think. They have a hospital there that might need RNs. I have that town on my retirement list and would love my daughter to check their hospital out but for her husband there wouldn't be a job in his field.
RN here, 32 years in CO. There is no nursing school at CSU, but there is one in at UNC in Greeley, so perhaps that is where are the RNs are coming from. In any event, there is not much of a nursing shortage in CO, no. I've heard that it's especially hard to get a nursing job in Ft. Collins, and that they don't want to hire people w/benefits. I think the best place for nursing jobs here in CO is metro Denver. The health science center is in Aurora, and there are lots of teaching hospitals in the metro area, ie, they need more nurses per capita b/c people get referred to these hospitals from elsewhere. I don't know a thing about the hospital in Trinidad, can't help you there. I personally am not familiar with the COS nursing job market. Most of the hospitals post their openings on line; your daughter could check them out.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:40 AM

399 posts, read 669,536 times
The weather can change really quickly if anything. Especially the higher up you go in elevation. As for the chill to the bones, I wouldn't know since the only cold place I've been in or visited has been Colorado (every other state I've visited was warm when I visited). And, depending on who you are, the chill might be colder or not so bad. For me I get cold easily so it does chill me to the bones during the winters. But personally I prefer the winters over the summers because of the of the clothing options and how extreme the weather can get. You can't always outrun a tornado, deal with high speed winds, fires, and thunderstorms that cut the power or destroy the internet. You can, however, stay at home and have coffee or hot chocolate on your days off when it snows. Maybe a power outage here and there during a blizzard but just make sure your furnace and water heater are ready to go for winter so you won't suffer during a blackout.

The only bad things about winter to me is the flock of people who don't know how to drive in the snow, the fact that when it snows a lot, the top of the snow blankets turn into ice. Sometimes snow does come in the morning and then melts in the afternoon but then at night there's ice there if there was enough snow. Being prepared for extreme weather will benefit you if you plan to be out for more than an hour or two when it's cloudy.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:01 AM

2,867 posts, read 7,114,523 times
Quote:
Yes it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or