U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 12:20 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,486,879 times

Advertisements

I initially opened an unemployment claim on June 8th, which was approved. Since I received an 8 week severance package, I was informed that payments would be delayed until after August 4th, so I never requested payment. Today, when I went back to my claim to request payment, the claim was listed as Inactive. My researh on how to reactivate it has me utterly confused and frustrated.

I'm hoping that someone reading this has RECENTLY been in this situation and KNOWS from first hand experience how to re-activate the claim, preferably online. I'm not interested in theories and guesses, so please don't offer guesses, theories, or hearsay solutions. I'm looking for the real world action steps I need to follow to re-activate my claim, which does not expire until 6/15/2013. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 08-06-2012 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 01:26 PM

4,541 posts, read 9,517,954 times
A couple of years ago my husband reopened a claim by just calling in. I'm not sure he could do it by finding anyway online, but it was very simple to call in - they were actually very helpful.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:32 PM

276 posts, read 586,425 times
I had something similar happen a few years back. I claimed a few weeks of unemployment insurance, found a temporary job that lasted a month and a half, and had to re-open my claim once the temporary job ended. Back then, the only way to do it was by calling in and having someone at the unemployment office re-open in manually. Be prepared for frustration though as the line is CONSTANTLY busy and when you finally get through, you might be on hold for an hour and a half.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:33 PM

Thanks jkcoop! Been there, done that,.....UNSUCESSFULLY. That was part of my research. I've yet to find a way to speak to a real live person. The number given to me by the local workforce center takes me to a SELF service option list, that has NO option for re-opening a claim. After the options are listed, the robotic voice says please call again, then the line goes dead. Do you have a direct number to a real person? Apparently this system is set up to frustrate anyone calling in to the system, hoping they will go away and make the unemployment numbers look better.

Durango Bound.....I've not been given an option to hold. If I did, an hour and a half wait would be a godsend. I've read of people being on hold for 4 or 5 hours when calling in for ANY reason that requires speaking to a real live person....but I've never been given an option to hold...just a message to please call again. I am well past the stage of being prepared to be frustrated. I am already deeply mired in a state of prervasive frustration.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 08-06-2012 at 01:46 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 02:23 PM

274 posts, read 400,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Thanks jkcoop! Been there, done that,.....UNSUCESSFULLY. That was part of my research. I've yet to find a way to speak to a real live person. The number given to me by the local workforce center takes me to a SELF service option list, that has NO option for re-opening a claim. After the options are listed, the robotic voice says please call again, then the line goes dead. Do you have a direct number to a real person? Apparently this system is set up to frustrate anyone calling in to the system, hoping they will go away and make the unemployment numbers look better.

Durango Bound.....I've not been given an option to hold. If I did, an hour and a half wait would be a godsend. I've read of people being on hold for 4 or 5 hours when calling in for ANY reason that requires speaking to a real live person....but I've never been given an option to hold...just a message to please call again. I am well past the stage of being prepared to be frustrated. I am already deeply mired in a state of prervasive frustration.
I also got a severance package and didn't update the cubline every two weeks - and my status was inactivated - called 303-318-9000 during the day and got the same message you did (after going thru a menu) ... anyway the next morning at exactly 7:30 I started calling (actually a few seconds before 7:30) and got the option of waiting to speak to a rep .... waited about an hour (at the time - and thought that was too long) - the rep reactived my status and I was able to collect unemployment again. That was about two/three months ago - I called again about two weeks ago and the wait was one hour and fifty-five minutes before I was able to speak to a live person. Of course I played one of my games while waiting and almost forgot what I called about
I don't think you can reactivate your status on-line .... keep trying to call them (at 7:30am) and good luck!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:33 PM

274 posts, read 400,127 times
CosmicWizard:
Did you try this:
CDLE - Unemp Insurance:File or Reopen your Unemployment Claim
It's the page to file/reopen claim .... not sure if that would help.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:48 PM

4,541 posts, read 9,517,954 times
Cosmic - if the other great suggestions don't work for you, let me know and I'll see if I can dig up the folder with our stuff in it. DH might have made notes in it that could be useful.

Good luck! I do think calling super early might be the way to go - for some reason that's ringing a bell on how DH got through to a real person.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:54 PM

ceg0720 wrote: CDLE - Unemp Insurance:File or Reopen your Unemployment Claim

I already tried that earlier this morning and I never found anything about re-opening a claim, other than that first button.

ceg0720 wrote: 303-318-9000 during the day

Same self service runaround that I get withe the 800 #. Dealing with a government agency is a real a crock of sh*t!

Old 08-06-2012, 03:09 PM

4,768 posts, read 7,565,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
ceg0720 wrote: CDLE - Unemp Insurance:File or Reopen your Unemployment Claim

I already tried that earlier this morning and I never found anything about re-opening a claim, other than that first button.
Did you scroll down to the bottom of that page where this link and info appear ??

FILE or REOPEN A CLAIM

You can reopen an existing claim online from 6:00 am 6:00 pm Monday through Friday.

Last edited by reed303; 08-06-2012 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-06-2012, 03:15 PM

reed303 wrote: Did you scroll down to the bottom of that page where this link and info appear ??

FILE or REOPEN A CLAIM

You can reopen an existing claim online from 6:00 am 6:00 pm Monday through Friday

That was one of many approaches I used. Here's the result.
Have you worked in Colorado since 06/15/2012?YesNo

If you have worked for an employer in Colorado since 06/15/2012, and you selected "Yes", we will add Colorado to the list of states you said you worked.

If you have not worked in Colorado since 06/15/2012, we cannot sign you up for unemployment here

I didn't work anywhere, I was waiting out the 8 weeks of my severance package.

To all of you who responded.....I appreciate your responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or