U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 01:29 PM

324 posts, read 250,162 times

Advertisements

My wife and I were thinking of taking our 5 year old daughter up to Glenwood Springs by train over the Labor Day weekend. Is that a good idea, meaning is it possible to get around Glenwood Springs without a car? We've never been up that way before, so we'd be doing the standard touristy things like Glenwood Caverns, the hot springs, hiking up to Hanging Lake, etc.

Is it possible/practical to get around Glenwood Springs by bus, cab for 2 days?

Thanks!

jb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 02:49 PM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
As a train lover I think it's a great idea. If the Amtrak runs during daylight hours you'll see parts of this state that are not accessible by car, and IIRC you go through some 20+ tunnels along the way. Going by train will let you miss the mess that is I-70 on weekends.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:57 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
My wife and I were thinking of taking our 5 year old daughter up to Glenwood Springs by train over the Labor Day weekend. Is that a good idea, meaning is it possible to get around Glenwood Springs without a car? We've never been up that way before, so we'd be doing the standard touristy things like Glenwood Caverns, the hot springs, hiking up to Hanging Lake, etc.

Is it possible/practical to get around Glenwood Springs by bus, cab for 2 days?

Thanks!

jb
As long as you are in town, should not be an issue to get around with bus or cab to places outside of downtown. Will not be as easy as with a car, but you can get it done.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:43 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,094,726 times
Get a room within walking distance of the hot springs and downtown and rent bikes to see Glenwood Canyon. Not much of anywhere to take a cab or a bus.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:58 PM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Get a room within walking distance of the hot springs and downtown and rent bikes to see Glenwood Canyon. Not much of anywhere to take a cab or a bus.
The Hotel Colorado is right next to the hot springs, but I cannot vouch for its qualities, though it is a wonderful old landmark of a place; IIRC Al Capone and other such characters would visit in the old days.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:02 AM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The Hotel Colorado is right next to the hot springs, but I cannot vouch for its qualities, though it is a wonderful old landmark of a place; IIRC Al Capone and other such characters would visit in the old days.
It's probably best known for Teddy Roosevelt staying there.

It's very interesting being inside, like traveling back in history, as this was one of the world's grand hotels 100 years ago.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:14 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,181,957 times
There is a free transportation system called Free Ride Glenwood Springs, an easy way to get around without a car. http://www.ci.glenwood-springs.co.us/transpo/1a-1.htm
The Roaring Fork Transportation Authority provides bus service between Glenwood and neighboring towns such as Aspen and Rifle.

edit: It used to be free, now it costs $1

Old 08-08-2012, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did book this trip, and the train ride is during the day there and back, so we should be able to see some interesting sights. I'll report back after our adventure.

jb

Old 09-03-2012, 08:32 AM

Well, our stay in Glenwood Springs (our hotel is actually in No Name) is nearly over, and yes you can get around without a car. There is pretty good bus service for $1, but you have to call them if your stop is off the beaten path. We stayed 2.5 miles outside of town, and we a took one $15 taxi ride from the Amtrak station to our hotel. We actually walked back from the Hot Springs last night, about an hour and a half with a 5 year old. We stopped to watch a guy in a kayak trying repeatedly to get up a little waterfall for an hour. I wonder if he ever made it.

This is a tourist town, mixed with local farmer types, and it's not cheap. I had an elk burger with fries and a shake, and it cost me $19. I feel bad for people who live here and don't make corporate salaries, but I guess that's true all around.

The train ride itself is recommended. They even had National Parks staff in the skylight car narrating all the way, as you pass through 30 tunnels, canyons etc. The temporary Amtrak station in Denver is pretty cramped, but they speed things up by boarding airline fashion, very different from the show up and jump on the train lifestyle on the east coast.

It's too bad that the train no longer goes to Durango. That would be a nice trip.

JB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado