U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2012, 01:05 PM

20,329 posts, read 37,847,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's humbling to walk the old graveyards. Lot of graves of young kids that never saw a 3 month or 3 year Birthday.
Here in COLO SPGS we have Evergreen Cemetery, just south of downtown, and truly gorgeous. We drove through it recently and looked at all the folks who never made it to 40, and some who made it to 80. It had sections for veterans of various wars, sections for the men who spent their final days at the Union Printers Home nearby, sections for fraternal groups.

I'm sure lots of those old cowboys died early, out in the hinterlands, injured by stampedes, gored by bulls, snake bites, bee stings, falls from horses or heights, lightning, heat stroke, exposure to cold, dysentery from foul water, cattle rustlers, etc.

I don't fault anyone for wanting to have a taste of the old days, but I don't want the real thing for me, and I'd have to wonder about someone who really wants to re-live those actual conditions of a hundred years ago without any of the advances.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 02:35 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,289,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Here in COLO SPGS we have Evergreen Cemetery, just south of downtown, and truly gorgeous. We drove through it recently and looked at all the folks who never made it to 40, and some who made it to 80. It had sections for veterans of various wars, sections for the men who spent their final days at the Union Printers Home nearby, sections for fraternal groups.

I'm sure lots of those old cowboys died early, out in the hinterlands, injured by stampedes, gored by bulls, snake bites, bee stings, falls from horses or heights, lightning, heat stroke, exposure to cold, dysentery from foul water, cattle rustlers, etc.

I don't fault anyone for wanting to have a taste of the old days, but I don't want the real thing for me, and I'd have to wonder about someone who really wants to re-live those actual conditions of a hundred years ago without any of the advances.
The Durango Heritage Celebration that runs October 11-14 includes an event at the main cemetery where some of the living locals re-enact the lives of some of the area's more permanent residents:

Durango Heritage Celebration: Civil War Commemorative Cemetery Tour

From reading some local history, it seems like hanging around town was at least as dangerous as out in "the hinterlands".

Old 08-20-2012, 03:17 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,130,110 times
Sadly, the ranching culture in much of rural Colorado is dying. Simply put, economics and the fact that the ranching industry/culture is basically incompatible with ranchette/recreational development is killing true ranching in much of Colorado. So, wherever the recreational development cancer is spreading, traditional ranching dies back. One can still find a lot of true ranching in rural Colorado, but it is increasingly under full assault from other development interests that will probably kill most of it in the next few decades, if not sooner.

The more desirable an area is for tourism/recreation, etc., the quicker the ranching/farming lifestyle is dying off. As others have mentioned, there are areas of Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, western Kansas, western Nebraska--just to name some--where the ranching culture is relatively secure and unthreatened by other development. Were I the OP, I would look in those places.

As a former agriculturalist, I can comment that ranching and farming--then and now--is not the romantic notion that most "city-slickers" have about it. It is hard, brutal work--often with little profit--with long hours, dangerous working conditions under all kinds of weather conditions, and very substantial financial risk. The people who stick with it are the ones who are willing to accept all of that in order to enjoy the relative independence and solitude that the lifestyle provides. Even then, it can be difficult to stick with it for a lifetime. For health and other reasons, I couldn't. There is much I miss about it, but much that I don't. I have real respect for the people who make a lifelong commitment to agriculture. It's not an easy lifestyle--and the risks of the "good old days" have often been replaced with new, but equally pernicious risks in modern times. It's a tough life that most people can't hack.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:57 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,917,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
If you go back to post #1, he is not looking to go into owning a ranch, but living and working the lifestyle of the cowboy. He thinks it is a glamours way to live.
Some people enjoy it. My aunt and her husband do it because that's what they want to do. They don't have to. They're both retired. But they like horses and they like working the small ranch they have. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:37 PM

15 posts, read 35,666 times
You might want to contact the folks down at the Uh Oh Ranch near Kiowa. They try to promote the kind of lifestyle I think you are looking for and probably have a ton of contacts and lots of information. They have a website with their contact information.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:46 PM

307 posts, read 806,414 times
OldTrader: I never said I thought it was glamorous life. If I did, I would also be looking for a sidekick and perhaps a band of cowboy crooners to accompany my glorious tenor voice as we lope along in our saddles singing a tune about a lonesome coyote howl reminding us of our lonesome life out on the range.

I think you misunderstand my inquiry in part. However, your personal insight is greatly appreciated. Others on here seem to get what I am asking about. I don't want to be Gene Autry, nor Tuff Hedeman. I have grown up all my life surrounded by the agrarian lifestyle and my family has been active in this life and work for well over a century from the Midwest to California. Members of my family have made quite a few known accompishments in this work and I am well aware of the issues you mention, but I feel you are taking an extreme stance on it.

I simply wanted to know to which part or area of CO would one go to be in an agrarian-based culture, economy, and lifestyle with correlating values with an accent on ranching and equine. As opposed to the progressive, city/industry, development juggernaut-based culture along the Front Range. I have the opportunity at hand to extend from my family into the ag life here or in another state. I knew, however, that this was tough to find on the front range in this era. I have not the time to travel all over Colorado, so wanted advice on the best area for the agrarian lifestyle. I am aware of the Eastern Plains but was inquiring into areas more closely associated with the Rockys. I may focus on the plains though. Much of your info is not relevant to me however and I feel you may have misunderstood or read too deep into my post. Nevertheless, I thank you for your time and imput on my thread.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:37 PM

307 posts, read 806,414 times
A few of you mentioned Westcliffe. I have been interested in that area for some time and had the opportunity to move there a few years ago but passed. I feel that may have been a mistake given the area I have been in the past two years is insufferable. Shoot! Westcliffe might be a real nice place for what I am looking for. Can any of you who know the area provide any info on it? Or should I start another thread just about Westcliffe? Perhaps. It seems this one has run its course?

Old 08-29-2012, 08:41 PM

319 posts, read 621,160 times
Default Mustang Pavilion in Kim

Countryway,

Wasn't sure if you have learned about the new Mustang Pavilion in Kim that began operations this summer. It's an amazing success story that speaks to the can-do spirit of a very small town. Here's one picture, but there's more on their site The Mustang Pavilion. Kim is in Las Animas County about 40 miles east of Branson on State Hwy 160 East, and about 60 miles south of La Junta on State Hwy 109. As a point of reference, people in Kim usually go to La Junta for basic shopping, medical, etc.; while people from Branson gravitate more to Trinidad and, sometimes, Raton, NM (both about 50 miles away).

mstngpvln11(5).jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Is There a Predominant Cowboy Culture in Colorado? If so, where? (Ranching, Equine, Western etc.)-mstngpvln11-5-.jpg  

Old 08-30-2012, 01:32 AM

319 posts, read 621,160 times
Default Trinidad Roundup Labor Day Weekend

Here's the lineup for the Labor Day Weekend activities at the Las Animas County Fairgrounds in Trinidad, including the 102nd Annual Roundup Rodeo. The professional rodeo features bull riding, barrel racing, roping and more.

Round-up, fair kicks off week of events

And here's the photo from the front page of the Trinidad Times-Independent newspaper:

Rodeo Time in Trinidad!
Attached Thumbnails
Is There a Predominant Cowboy Culture in Colorado? If so, where? (Ranching, Equine, Western etc.)-8-27-2012-10-38-54  

Old 08-30-2012, 05:07 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,538,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
A few of you mentioned Westcliffe. I have been interested in that area for some time and had the opportunity to move there a few years ago but passed. I feel that may have been a mistake given the area I have been in the past two years is insufferable. Shoot! Westcliffe might be a real nice place for what I am looking for. Can any of you who know the area provide any info on it? Or should I start another thread just about Westcliffe? Perhaps. It seems this one has run its course?
Beautiful town! Too high up for my heart unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or