U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 07:00 AM

1,778 posts, read 3,482,205 times

Advertisements

I wish I was going to Trinidad this weekend but not until the end of the month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 09:31 AM

2,253 posts, read 5,840,919 times
Wink Cowboy up

Westcliffe is fairly isolated. If Wyoming—much closer to Fort Collins—is too far removed, Westcliffe certainly is. Of course that depends from what; in order of proximity and also size, the three major towns closest are Cañon City, Pueblo, and Colorado Springs. Westcliffe itself is large enough to offer basic day to day services.

But since agriculture and a cowboy lifestyle may be the greater interest, Westcliffe will possibly suit. There is some tourism there, predominantly it seems in second homes, but the greater economy may still be agrarian based. In that respect it appears a fine setting, with lush meadows running north to south between mountains to the east, and those appreciably higher just to the west in the Sangre de Cristo.

Nevertheless, one consideration may be water. There didn't appear to be much snow retained in summer on the higher peaks of the Sangre de Cristo, and that assessment based on the autumn of last year following a heavy winter throughout much of the state. Water rights would be something to look at closely. There is surely not, for instance, as much water flowing from those mountains as does from within Rocky Mountain National Park (thence to Front Range).

Indeed in most every respect it is not the Front Range, so perhaps one quite pleased by this. The greater challenge for most would lie in simply making a living. Or, as presumably this the case, ever affording enough decent agricultural land. Even in the far reaches of Montana, all this has been spoken for a long time ago. Not that good acreage does not come on the market, but whether such a purchase ever penciling out financially is another question. Which of course why so problematic around Fort Collins and elsewhere: a region enjoying quite good agricultural land, but worth even more to growing suburbia, etc. Westcliffe should be better in that respect, but to what extent one will have to decide in person.

Certainly worth a look, and at minimum a pleasant excursion had. One of the more scenic routes in would be west from Pueblo on CO 96, as this road in time passes through the mountains to at last drop down into Westcliffe.

Another area one might consider is that between Salida to Montrose off US 50. Much of this region appears more as Colorado once was, largely agrarian with little settlement or other "progress." Some fine ranching property, which would also extend north from Salida to Buena Vista as well. But no one will be giving that away.

Something else comes to mind as well. North Park is just far enough removed—and across the summit of the Front Range—to remain largely a land unto itself. Tourists infesting RMNP, or even the many campsites up along the Cache la Poudre River canyon, never seem to make it as far. Yet compared to the poor cows eating dust out east near Cheyenne Wells, livestock in North Park exist in a veritable paradise of plenty with rich meadows. Not entirely sure where the water comes from, but the result is evident in the many large stockpiles of rolled hay here and there. The prevalent mindset is surely more "cowboy" than anything discovered on the east side of the divide. This helped by the relative isolation: with but Steamboat Springs way off to the southwest, Laramie, Wyoming way off to the northeast, the Front Range far distant over Cameron Pass, and the closest point of services of much size over Willow Creek Pass in Granby.

The relative amount of water, weather, and even isolation will vary, but what any of these possible areas will have in common will be a certain distance from greater civilization. Whether in the far northwest or southwest corners of the state, or on the eastern plains, the prevalent lifestyle and culture remains more agrarian because it can. As that makes the most sense in places tourists do not necessarily favor, or all others wish to build their homes and businesses. Or, and one might consider this, perhaps stick their fracking well in one's backyard.

Also consider that the entire Southwest is rapidly changing climatically. In just verdant pasture which, if left alone, is likely to remain that way, then places such as the Willamette Valley of Oregon possibly a better bet. Although that a different environment, and an area with its own challenges in development and prices, etc. Each will be different; within North Park one will see evidence of what the mountain pine beetle has wrought. That might be a reminder of what else might change, and possibly not at all for the better.

If it comes to that, one might want to consider Canada. Areas there formerly borderline in what the climate would support will become all the more fecund as all warms. Colorado, sad to say, is not positioned at the happy end of that equation. But in the short term this still exists. The cowboy culture is far more prevalent in Wyoming, but if wishing the same in Colorado head to the areas removed where most accept wide open spaces and hard work as a simple fact of life—with no reason to have it any different.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:42 PM

307 posts, read 805,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
Here's the lineup for the Labor Day Weekend activities at the Las Animas County Fairgrounds in Trinidad, including the 102nd Annual Roundup Rodeo. The professional rodeo features bull riding, barrel racing, roping and more.

Round-up, fair kicks off week of events

And here's the photo from the front page of the Trinidad Times-Independent newspaper:

Rodeo Time in Trinidad!
Thanks for the info. Also, yes I was made aware recently about the pavillion in Kim. Sounds wonderful! I would love to visit it down there if I can get a chance. I will read these links as well, thanks.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:20 PM

Westcliffe, might be too isolated. I can't remember if I mentioned it in my Original Post, but we need to be within an hour or so from a city with medical services. I know Westcliffe is within an hour but I meant that as a seperate thought. The deal with Westcliffe is that it might be too small. But then again it might be just right, you can never tell until you visit. I guess for the Pueblo-Trinidad area, La Junta and surrounding area would be the best. The issue with that is the distance from the mountains. I gather its about 100 miles to the mountains from La Junta. We visited Canon City one time and did not care for it and I really didn't see ranching or equine around there, but I know its not far from Westcliffe, San Luis Valley and the eastern plains. We just didn't care for Canon City. I'm wondering if the Western Slope woulf be a better match? Or perhaps there are some areas within an hour from Colo Springs? We are talking of heading up to the Laramie area. Kinda wanted to stay in CO, but maybe thats a more proper fit. I worry about the size and population of Laramie as well as the Univ. as we are weary of the college life in Fort Collins.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:32 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,909,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
I'm wondering if the Western Slope woulf be a better match?

It all comes back to the WEstern Slope. Can't go wrong.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
It all comes back to the WEstern Slope. Can't go wrong.
Yeah, I am always thinking about that Collbran area you told me about. Looks really nice for what we desire as well as not being too far from town. I am hoping to make it over there to visit, but not sure if I can.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:50 PM

I lived in the Springs briefly and was aware of Elizabeth, Falcon, Black Forest, Woodland Park, Larkspur, Elbert and surounding areas. They seemed like ranching and equine areas but am not quite sure. I used to drive out to falcon to get away from Springs area quite often, but it may have boomed since then and blended with the city as this was several years ago.

Does anyone have info on those areas as well as to whether they would fit?

Old 09-02-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I lived in the Springs briefly and was aware of Elizabeth, Falcon, Black Forest, Woodland Park, Larkspur, Elbert and surounding areas. They seemed like ranching and equine areas but am not quite sure. I used to drive out to falcon to get away from Springs area quite often, but it may have boomed since then and blended with the city as this was several years ago.

Does anyone have info on those areas as well as to whether they would fit?
Any takers?

Old 09-02-2012, 05:37 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,271,029 times
Bueller....Bueller.....?

Old 09-02-2012, 05:38 PM

15,533 posts, read 29,261,945 times
Quote:
Hi folks. I live in Fort Collins and I am considering relocating somewhere more rural and agriculture-based in this state... namely a place with a dominant cowboy lifestyle.

I thought Northern Colorado would be that way when I moved here (and was years ago I am told), but is turning out to be ever more urban in life, work and culture. I really need some place that identifies with the cowboy/traditional western lifestyle. Fort Collins is a wonderful city with tremendous assets indeed, however it simply does not fit, to the degree, the life that we want.

I desire to live and work in the cowboy/western/ag/ranching/ lifestyle and environment. I grew up in an agriculture-based area and have had some experience with horses and livestock. I want to learn more and live where those traditions, lifestyles, and values are an integral part of life.

I have looked up and down the Front Range and though some of these areas partly embrace that lifestyle, I have not seen anything that is as purist as I desire.

I am financially sustained at this time and have the ability to relocate, then look for work later. I have considered moving out of state to Wyoming, Montana and Idaho several times but have not been able to. My family likes it here as do I and would like to find a place more suitable. We prefer close proximity to the Rockies and would gladly live in them if there was the right community for my needs. Meaning, Eastern Colorado may suite this lifestyle, but if there were places in or near the Rockies (North, South, East or West) that would be preferable.

Thanks for your time. Feel free to ask questions.
Depending on how big of a town you need....you might check out Cortez, it has a very "western" feel to it. Mesa Verde too. Durango isn't so much as it used to be 20 years ago. Mostly yuppie types there now.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or