U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 07:29 PM

2,630 posts, read 2,308,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
This data source http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0542.xls is a few years old and lists about 70 million. It might not be 100% complete.

60% on Social Security.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
The poster who mentioned the 100 million is probably referring to this more recent reference

Over 100 Million Now Receiving Federal Welfare | The Weekly Standard

The data is from a Senate Republican staffer but I haven't seen a rebuttal yet.

Here is a big thread about it:
100 Million on Federal Welfare! NOT including Medicare or Social Security

on the last page it is said that 46 million people of the total are just collecting food stamps.
Thank you, NW Crow for the info and the links.

To the poster who originally mentioned the 100 million figure:

Personally, I would not consider Social Security or Medicare as "welfare" because almost everyone who works is required to pay into it, so they're only getting what is owed them, just like veterans benefits or any pension plan.

Regarding the SNAP program (which includes "food stamps" and I believe, the WIC program), many people who are working full-time but earn low wages, qualify for the program and I feel rightly so. It is an unfair characterization to refer to them or consider them as "deadbeats" or "lazy.

If posters like you are not willing to give people in the above categories a break and not disparagingly judge them, then who among us are "worthy" of your sympathy and approval to receive assistance from any government program?

I am blessed to have a career that enables me to be a contributing, taxpaying citizen but I also realize that "there but by the Grace of God, go I" and I am proud, as an American citizen, that my government, through my tax dollars, provides at least a small level of a safety net for those less fortunate.

Just my humble opinion.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:42 PM

85,082 posts, read 99,155,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Kat, thanks for the link.

I found 3 polls done for Colorado, with these results:
- Romney up by 5
- They're tied
- Obama up by 6

Which means that right now, they're tied. (IMO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
I believe the so called traditional marriage deal isn't even a remote factor here in Colorado..Colorado is leaning towards Romney because of the terrible economy. Colorado in general isn't a HATE STATE like so many other areas that will go unmentioned. Conservatives here vote more like So.Cal..unlike the puritanical "What's the matter with Kansas crowd." Bring on full gay rights IMO and yes I now label myself fiscally conservative and will vote Romney but gestapo like thinking is so way out of touch with the average person in Colorado or any person of conscience from anywhere for that matter. What does **** me off is being categorized as a racist for voting Romney.."Hell I voted for Obama last time around," think he's a good man just don't agree with him fiscally. The whole so called traditional marriage thing is more or less a religious zeolot view..not necessarily political IMO. I would vote for an openly gay candidate if I agreed with him/her fiscally.
Hating gay/minorities is sooooo 1950's regardless of party in this more enlightened society. One thing that really does bother me about too many in the GOP is blind hatred..that goes both ways though I know, but you do have to admit some people do hate the president because he's black..that's just a crock!

One more thing hating everyone politically on both sides should be the real NEW NORMAL for anyone with a pulse. End Rant
Well, the civil unions bill didn't do so well in the legislature this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Really??

What "free stuff" is the President promising?

"...There are over 100 million people in the USA collecting $$$$ on some kind of Gubmint program right now.."

Really??

100 million!! Wow! Is there a legitimate source for your information or are you just making it up as you type like the Romney/Ryan lie that the President is cutting 716 billion dollars from Medicare??
100 million is 1/3 of the country.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:12 PM

1,411 posts, read 2,263,889 times
If you've been following the Real Clear Politics polls RealClearPolitics - Opinion, News, Analysis, Videos and Polls you'll have noticed that Obama has consistently been ahead in Colorado (although never by a large margin). I suspect that will translate into a narrow Obama victory in the state (that's the way it has tended to work in past elections). In a lot of ways, the Republican lean that Colorado has had until about 10 years ago is a legacy of the past (similar to southern states voting Democratic into the 70s). The Republican party has changed a lot since 1980 - it's no longer libertarian but rather is the party of social conservatives and it's no longer fiscally responsible but rather is the party of bloated defense spending). At the same time, most Coloradans live in urban and suburban areas and so the "sagebrush rebellion" of the 80s has no relevance to them.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:33 PM

51 posts, read 124,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
If you've been following the Real Clear Politics polls RealClearPolitics - Opinion, News, Analysis, Videos and Polls you'll have noticed that Obama has consistently been ahead in Colorado (although never by a large margin). I suspect that will translate into a narrow Obama victory in the state (that's the way it has tended to work in past elections). In a lot of ways, the Republican lean that Colorado has had until about 10 years ago is a legacy of the past (similar to southern states voting Democratic into the 70s). The Republican party has changed a lot since 1980 - it's no longer libertarian but rather is the party of social conservatives and it's no longer fiscally responsible but rather is the party of bloated defense spending). At the same time, most Coloradans live in urban and suburban areas and so the "sagebrush rebellion" of the 80s has no relevance to them.

Why don't you do your own poll? This weekend, randomly ask 20 people (not couples, but 20 individuals), and I bet you'll find that among those who are Republicans, they are the inverse of what you claim.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:40 PM

1,411 posts, read 2,263,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatInTheHat View Post
Why don't you do your own poll? This weekend, randomly ask 20 people (not couples, but 20 individuals), and I bet you'll find that among those who are Republicans, they are the inverse of what you claim.
Maybe so. In that case, they should vote Libertarian because they'll never get what they want from the current crop of Republican candidates.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:40 AM

1 posts, read 836 times
To me it is glaringly obvious that people should be voting for Ron Paul. Write him in. Enough of this lesser of two evils garbage.

Goldman Sachs has both of the mainstream candidates on a tether. Nothing will change. Nothing.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,934 posts, read 37,666,028 times
well... unfortunately we (USA) are in trouble with the "Majority rule".

I can imagine how well that works in a Bee Hive or Ant Colony.

A STRONG 3rd party candidate that could speak "Common Sense" could WIN, but he/she best have '3rd party' buddies (not cronies). That WIN in the Senate / House / State / Local ...

I'm afraid the system needs an 'Overhaul', but with the Fox-guarding-the-Henhouse... (and Fox also writing the RULES for the Whole Farm, AND controlling the Revenue / Taxes / Wealth Distribution / Public Services provided to/by the whole farm....) The worker bees / laborers / taxpayers / benefit recipients... are not being represented.

Gonna take a revolution, of which 'current / passive' Americans do not have the guts / discipline to carry out to the finish. (You will note how the rest of the world responded to financial / mortgage crisis... they were not sitting home watching prime time comedy, and condemned US citizens for NOT getting out and protesting.... not that THAT would do any good, BUT PUBLIC pressure is really effective with politics)

The alternative to a revolution is not so pleasant either. (Being taken over by an enemy nation)

Pick your poison. I don't think the 'intelligent' option (Fix it) is gonna get off the ground, much less fly.

I guess I will have to add politics to my 'Short-list' of stuff to OUTSOURCE !
(joining USA EDU, and USA Healthcare). There are 3rd and 2nd world countries that do the latter 2, FAR better quality than the USA and at a fraction of the cost. I can't see why politics can't be 'subbed out'. (with the proper controls...)

Old 08-19-2012, 02:16 PM

122 posts, read 167,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Gonna take a revolution, of which 'current / passive' Americans do not have the guts / discipline to carry out to the finish. (You will note how the rest of the world responded to financial / mortgage crisis... they were not sitting home watching prime time comedy, and condemned US citizens for NOT getting out and protesting.... not that THAT would do any good, BUT PUBLIC pressure is really effective with politics)
Been ignoring the shenanigans of the Tea Party and the Occupy Wall Street movement this past year? Granted, it's not protesting on a European level, but it's an improvement over the usual American method of protesting corrupt politics (i.e. just not voting.) Dislike of the two-party system has never been higher than it is right now, and although that doesn't guarantee the rise of a third party, it's a step in right direction.

In fact, I've become increasingly convinced that the social ills in this country will reach a boiling point sometime in this decade:

Will the US Really Experience a Violent Upheaval in 2020? - Yahoo! News

Old 08-20-2012, 03:29 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,174,647 times
The problem in Colorado--and the whole United States--is that the radical wings of both political parties are increasingly gaining control of the nominating process from the caucus level to the primary level. That means that the political debate has become continually more polarized, divisive, and gridlocked. Colorado did not used to be that way. Most candidates from both parties were fairly centrist and, though the political rhetoric could get heated during the campaign, those elected found common ground and consensus in governing. It worked pretty well in Colorado for a lot of years, but no more.

The other problem is that Americans on any side of the political spectrum simply do not want to hear the hard truths about anything that would involve them having to sacrifice ANYTHING for the general good of the country. So, they will follow off any lying SOB politician who will tell them what they want to hear. That speaks volumes about the level we have sunk to as a society and why there is such a lack of real leadership in this country. A quote from an unknown source that I remember well is this: "The sign of a good leader is one who can lead people where they have to go, not to where they want to go."

Old 08-20-2012, 04:07 PM

808 posts, read 1,180,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares45 View Post
Been ignoring the shenanigans of the Tea Party and the Occupy Wall Street movement this past year? Granted, it's not protesting on a European level, but it's an improvement over the usual American method of protesting corrupt politics (i.e. just not voting.) Dislike of the two-party system has never been higher than it is right now, and although that doesn't guarantee the rise of a third party, it's a step in right direction.
Am I missing something, or are the Tea Party and Occupy people not simply examples of the extreme polarization currently taking place? Aren't both groups effectively saying "their" mainstream party just ain't dang extreme enough and should therefore be replaced by a different political party and/or candidates that ARE sufficiently extreme for their radical protestor tastes? That strikes me as not exactly a recipe for recapturing that common-sensible middle/moderate part of the spectrum that no longer seems to be represented in politics. All those rational, reasonable, compromising types are getting the heck out of Dodge, being replaced by fiery-eyed true-believers. It's honestly frightening. I could not agree with Jazzlover's above post more, particularly the first paragraph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado