U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 7,056 times

Advertisements

We live in the San Luis Valley, and I want to move to Pueblo so my 13 year old daughter is closer to more activities. She likes gymnastics and there is nothing closeby. I would really prefer Denver, but it is out of our price range.

My husband hates city life. He likes to spend his free time in the mountains rockhounding.

Are there places that aren't in the city? Is there any type of hiking/rockhounding scene? How far is it to get to the mountains for hiking?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 03:05 PM

12,099 posts, read 20,344,698 times
Beulah is the best place for hiking in Pueblo county. It is south west of Pueblo on the "Beulah Highway" and take about 20 minutes to get there. Pueblo Mountain Park is where there are some good hiking trails and technically its a city of Pueblo park so its free.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 7,056 times
Oh cool, thanks! I have never heard of Beulah. I wonder if this might be a good place to look into living? We have always lived in small towns and my Husband is freaking over the thoughts of city living. LOL

Old 08-10-2012, 04:54 PM

It's a suburb of Pueblo located in the foothill south west of town. I really like it but for me it's a little to small to live in. However if you like small towns then it might be for you.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:02 AM

13,624 posts, read 21,483,824 times
I like going through Colorado City and Rye on the way to San Isabel lake, Bishop's Castle, Ophir Creek, etc.

This article here talks about the peak of Greenhorn mountain, the most prominant peak of the Wet Mountain range as it ascends right up from Rye Colorado on the Bartlett Trail from the west side of Rye.

There are a number of trailheads from Rye on up to San Isabel Lake/Lodge and beyond. For example, you can take Rob Road off of 165 well before San Isabel and just before you hook up with Old San Isabel Road, you have some good and secluded camping spots along little creeks that have water in them now... so they must be from springs. You can hook back up with old San Isabel road or even hook up with hwy 242 and find your way out on 3R road, which takes you from Colorado City towards Burnt Mill or across to Beulah.

There are many trailheads and camping spots up through there.

Near Beulah you have Hardscrabble Canyon. But there are countless hiking trails and ATV trails all along 165.

From Beulah, you can drive across a dirt road and wind up just between San Isabel lake and Bishop's Castle. Drive down a bit further and you're at Ophir Creek and to the back side of Greenhorn. Or you can stay north on 165 to 96 where you can go to Wetmore or go further west to Westcliffe/Silvercliffe.

Here's a few pics of Greenhorn Creek from Rye Park my friends and I took just this last Tuesday;

Old 08-11-2012, 12:21 PM

^

I always forget about that area...... Good idea too and great pictures.......

Old 08-26-2012, 06:53 AM

9 posts, read 11,265 times
Beulah is beautiful but small and can be a challenge in winter weather. For living, I might suggest Florence or canon city. Only 25 miles from Pueblo and you can still buy a decent house around 100k in either town. Canon has a Walmart for supplies as Florence has a grocery store, Carl's jr drive through, about 5 good restaurants, a couple of dollar stores and art/antique stores. We moved to Florence from many years in Denver. The surrounding scenery, ease to get about and you can walk just about anywhere if you live close in town, attracted our attention. We are currently having a influx moving in, of people from big cities trying to get away from the crowds. We know more friends here in Florence in the 14 months living here than the 14 + years living in a nice Denver neighborhood.
Kids don't need a car here to get around as the schools, library, park, skatepark are walk able. People are just down to earth and very friendly. Florence is also up for state and National Historic Designation. Come visit Florence, you might just stay.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:40 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
If you're moving to Pueblo for activities for your daughter there, then move to the Pueblo area itself. Don't saddle yourself with a 30+ mile commute for you or your husband's work or to get your daughter to activities--and 30 miles is what it takes to get to the mountains from Pueblo. The time and escalating fuel costs will make you hate that commute.

Finding a good neighborhood and school in Pueblo can be tricky, but they are there. Also, in Pueblo's defense, I find it generally to be a friendlier and more "small town atmosphere" community in many ways when compared to the other Colorado metro and suburban areas. You will likely find a lot of people from the SLV there--it is a popular place for people from the "Valley" to go to find employment.

The biggest "downer" for me about Pueblo is the brutally hot summers--that will be a big adjustment for you compared to the SLV. Of course, the winters are much warmer, too, which you may like.

As far as getting to the mountains, the nice thing about Pueblo is that, if you head west or south, you are avoiding much of the traffic from Colorado's other metro areas to get to them. The Wet Mountains, Wet Mountain Valley, the eastern Sangre de Cristos, even the SLV are a relatively uncongested, short drive from Pueblo compared to the traffic-choked routes to the mountains out of Denver, Colorado Springs, of Fort Collins.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:27 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
jazzlover wrote: If you're moving to Pueblo for activities for your daughter there, then move to the Pueblo area itself. Don't saddle yourself with a 30+ mile commute for you or your husband's work or to get your daughter to activities--and 30 miles is what it takes to get to the mountains from Pueblo. The time and escalating fuel costs will make you hate that commute.

Take this suggestion to heart. It will save you many hours of aggravation and stress. You won't find advice any better than this!

Old 08-26-2012, 06:43 PM

16,163 posts, read 20,172,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post

As far as getting to the mountains, the nice thing about Pueblo is that, if you head west or south, you are avoiding much of the traffic from Colorado's other metro areas to get to them. The Wet Mountains, Wet Mountain Valley, the eastern Sangre de Cristos, even the SLV are a relatively uncongested, short drive from Pueblo compared to the traffic-choked routes to the mountains out of Denver, Colorado Springs, of Fort Collins.
Agreed. You have three different roads that lead you west out of Pueblo where Colorado Springs has one-U.S. Highway 24. I've always liked that part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or