U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2012, 11:49 AM

32 posts, read 185,796 times

Advertisements

My company has locations around the country and I have the option of having a relative say in where I live out of their 48 options... one of them is Colorado Springs and one is Denver.

So... what is there to like and dislike about living in this area? I'm trying to narrow down my options--I'm fresh out of college, ready to experience the world, and really open-minded so I'm letting every place be on the table.

I am single, female, am not particularly needy at this point.

I have a dog and like outdoorsy stuff but what's most important to me is having stuff to do (cultural events, places to go, trails to hike, classes to take, etc) and most most important is having the community be welcoming.

I'm very social and make friends easily but I've lived in places where the culture encourages being more isolated--that is not for me! SO... how do Colorado Springs and Denver do in that regard?

What are summers like?

Anything else you can tell me that'll help me make or break this on my list?

Thank you so much!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-11-2012 at 12:03 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 12:11 PM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
I merged your posts into one thread as cross posting the same message in multiple forums violates our TOS.

What you seek is found in both cities, and a lot more of it in the Denver-Boulder-Golden area, especially arts, museums, culture, shows, classes, and all 5 pro sports, etc.

COL SPGS is much closer to actual mountains as it sits as the base of Pikes Peak and the Front Range. There is a large and wonderful city park called Garden of the Gods that has hiking, biking and even rock climbing if you get a free permit from the park office. Mountain sports aren't that far away, up Hwy 24.

Each city has it's share of crime, but it sure isn't Chicago, East St Louis, or S.E. DC.

Lots of thread in both forums, use our advanced search engine to find them by using keywords and searching on TITLES ONLY.

Climate is dry, very little rain, low humidity.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:21 PM

Thank you! I noticed some of the other forums getting grumpy about people not being specific in where they wanted to move so I thought I'd specify which city--your way suits me better though. Thank you! I think I'll keep Colorado on my list.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:15 PM

84,958 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Where do you live now, OP? Where have you lived in the past? What you are used to makes a difference in what you think is "wierd". If you're from the east, you may miss the greenery. If you're from CA, you may miss the year-round growing season. Etc.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:12 PM

I live in Reno at the moment and I more or less hate it... but I've lived a little here, a little there, all around the country, generally midsize towns, but was in St. Anthony, Idaho for a while (very small town) and in Las Vegas as well (obviously very large). I'm kind of looking for a more or less permanent place, something that I haven't ever had. I haven't been anywhere long enough to miss anything. I just want friendly people, stuff to do, and if it were pretty to look at that would make it better...

But is Denver/Colorado Springs more desert then? The parts of Colorado I've been to were fairly green... not a lush rainforest but better than here for sure.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:50 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,658,992 times
The number 1 characteristic for Denver's and Colorado Springs' climates is dryness (both are in the rain shadow of the Rockies - read about the rain shadow here).

The number 2 characteristic is its sunshine.

The winters are sunny, cold and dry and the summers are sunny, hot and dry.

In the winter, the days are not particularly cold (highs in the 40s and maybe low 50s), but the heat is quickly lost at night (lows in the teens and 20s). In the winter it is not uncommon to get at high in the 60s and maybe the low 70s during the winter time. The winter is very windy at times, but often the winds are warm (chinook winds) and will increase the temperature in the city.

In the summer, daytime highs are in the 80s and 90s with nighttime lows in the 50s and 60s. In July, we usually get a flow of moisture from the southwest which will produce daily thunderstorms in the afternoon. It will be 90s before the clouds roll in, 70s during the storm, and back into the 90s after the storm leaves. The storms typically do not last more than an hour from start to finish.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:16 PM

Well, it's more rain than Nevada! I do love thunderstorms... and as long as the summers aren't oppressively hot, I'm pretty much okay.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:33 PM

2,419 posts, read 3,261,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian_Flower View Post
I'm fresh out of college, ready to experience the world, and really open-minded so I'm letting every place be on the table.
While Denver is a fine place I'm thinking that at this stage in your life you might like the coasts. Berkley CA or someplace in the SF bay area on the west coast. Boston maybe on the east coast?

If you had said you had a couple of kids and were looking to raise a family then I'd say this is it! But Denver isn't really the place to experience the world. You'll meet a greater variety of people and have a greater variety of experiences in another area.

On the other hand your dog would probably be happiest here as you will have easy access to hiking trails. Something that isn't too easy in the bay area.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:03 AM

Bay Area is kind of where I'm hoping to get, honestly, but openings there are a lot less than in other parts of the country. About 3% of all availability and most people want to go there. Maybe I'll get lucky but I was told to have back up options.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 7,186 times
I'm 47 I've been living in Iowa all my life except for a short stint in Utah. I have a bachelors degree in English I'm a writer. I am also in disability for mental illness. I worked up until I was 40. I haven't worked in about seven years haven't really tried. I live in a rinky dink factory town in Iowa of 27,000 people called Muscatine. I am single never had any kids. AA sucks in this town and there is hardly any fellowship. I appreciate the art and can't stand football. I'm looking into staying at the Salvation Army till I can find affordable housing. What's there to do downtown Colorado Springs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado