U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 05:27 PM

22 posts, read 30,359 times

Advertisements

I was interested in Colorado. I have always heard how pretty the weather is along with the mountainous locations. How is the job market? Is the weather decent? I am not a huge fan of winter so if the winters are really rough I'd rather not venture. Are there are decent job opportunities? What about places to see and visit? I enjoy hiking and biking so it'd be nice to know if there were parks or something of that nature in the area as well. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 06:43 PM

20,349 posts, read 37,876,690 times
Weather in the mountains can be severe in winter, really severe, -20 or colder many nights, 500 inches of snow up there. Along I-25 it's much better, more livable, dry air, lots of sun.

Best that you come visit in the fall to see for yourself. Jobs are mostly in the Denver area, not much out in the countryside.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:08 PM

178 posts, read 465,404 times
Come in December or January. The weather can vary quite a bit from year to year and day to day. I lived in Canon City, which is considered mild for Colorado, and I've seen winter days that range from a low of 30 degrees down to 20 below zero. I remember once when Alamosa was 38 below zero and Fairbanks, Alaska was only 25 below zero.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:58 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,850,658 times
Wink Winters & a good deal else

Winters in Colorado being really rough will be a relative thing; compared to Phoenix, AZ, then yes; in relation to New England or the Midwest, not really.

Two factors in Colorado's favor is the relative abundance of sun, as well as low humidity. Vermont probably experiences more humidity, my understanding often overcast in winter, and experiences some truly cold temperatures. Colorado can as well, particularly in the high country, but this moderated with a fair amount of sun and the dry air. Seattle, WA enjoys fairly temperate temperatures throughout winter, rarely snow, but 40 there can feel a lot colder than in Colorado.

So relative. But if with an aversion to snow, and temperatures low enough at times when it might, then best to head to Hawaii, etc.

The job market in Colorado is no panacea, this state suffering the same ill effects as the rest of the national economy, in measure. Will depend on one's skills, determination, luck, etc. There are any number of threads on this forum concerning this topic: the advice most often given is to secure employment before moving. But a reconnoissance in force might be applicable, and visit surely helpful in informing of where one might like to live, etc.

Related, employment generally dictating where one resides. For most, that means somewhere along the Front Range, meaning basically between Pueblo in the south to Fort Collins to the north. The good news for outdoor enthusiasts is the weather and general ambiance favors such activities. Even in Denver and far flung suburbia, many are into such things. There tends to be a good number of bike paths, etc., or just bicyclists through town and on favored rural roads. A good number of hiking trails in various areas, with Boulder a good example of what can be on offer directly from town.

All this extends of course into the mountains, if not always the infrastructure, but a whole lot of wilderness. One can pick and choose between pure wild and areas where there are also hiking trails, etc. Many probably do not get into the mountains as often as they thought to, yet one of the great aspects of Colorado, if living along the Front Range, is that one at least has the option of doing so relatively easily. This might seem a damn lie when stuck in heavy skier traffic on I-70, so all is not peaches and cream. But at least one could go skiing; and if some creativity and timing employed, then to very good effect.

Most of one's little (and possibly major) problems will likely follow them here. Yet every place is also unique in what it provides—what it does not—and the life to be found there. Location does inform this. And at minimum, one can often have a lovely view while immersed in the details of life.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:18 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,055,035 times
If you dislike winter and cold, don't bother.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:42 PM

10,589 posts, read 11,684,353 times
You might want to visit. Colorado is made up of a bunch of different areas. Winters can range from mild to brutally harsh and 40 below zero with blizzards. Summers can be mild to well over 100 degrees. Jobs can range from none, to well, none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or