U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:14 PM

155 posts, read 328,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
You mention Canon City. Canon City is nothing like Boulder or Denver. Canon City is very much a rural, redneck town. Denver and Boulder (at least in the center city areas of each) are left-leaning, urban towns. Anyone who would be happy living in Boulder or Denver would probably hate themselves if they had to live in Canon City, and vice versa. If CC is what calls your heart, then utilize your family connections you have there to see if you can get a lead on a job. CC will be a lot cheaper than Denver or Boulder, and with THREE big dogs, you're going to need a house with some land... something that might not be possible in Denver or Boulder without having at least $500k to spend on a house.
Oh my! Whoever said my dogs were big? My biggest weighs a whopping 45 lbs! Followed by a 35#er, and a 13#er respectively. A yard where they can sufficiently poop is plenty, really. Access to trails, or even a mere sidewalk, or like in my VERY redneck area a simple red dirt road is sufficient for exercise. Training and other fun activities are all I need to keep them happy.

Secondly, I do like Canon City. I also love living in the Piney Woods of east Texas--purely for scenery. I desperatly miss a few lefties from my days in Dallas and Ft. Worth. My dad lived in the city, my mom in the country, and my roots are as stupidly mixed as anyone else's I guess.

Sadly, Canon city doesn't have the job opportunities I'm looking for. I could go the education route, and it would be a great city for my husband (a correctional officer), but I believe the jobs I'm aiming for aren't found there. Despite my looking ademently, between you and me, it's a bit of a redneck town. And if there is ANYTHING I'm trying to get away from it's redneckville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 10:10 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,184,784 times
Sorry, I think I assumed that your dogs were big dogs when you said "trail dogs." If you plan on renting, it will be logistical challenge though finding a place to live that allows multiple dogs. I think from just a jobs point of view, Denver (the metro area as a whole, not just City of Denver) is really the best place to be, since it opens you to the widest range of job opportunities, no matter what your profession or industry is. Problem, as I'm sure you've discovered, with living in a small town is if you lose your job or need to find a new job, there might not be any sufficient jobs available in the whole town. Boulder does in fact have a lot of jobs and more people commute into Boulder than the other way around. However, that said, Boulder, besides having the Univ of Colorado, is a town with a few "niche" fields. If you happen to be networked into the local business community there, you're good to go, but if you're not, you might not be able to have a career there. Have you also considered Colorado Springs? Smaller city than the Denver area but still a lot going on, an hour closer to Canon City if you need to visit, much better scenery than anywhere in Denver, and slightly cheaper than Denver.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:30 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,465,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaynaKH View Post
If you were a young family consisting of 25 year old husband and wife, no kids (now or immediate future), three great trail dogs, and a hypothetical job opportunity in either Denver or Boulder, where would you prefer to go?
Let's see. Older family (we are 35), two kids, no dogs - very real job opportunity that was located in Boulder, but I knew was moving to Denver in 8 month. Went with Boulder (ended up in Boulder county, not Boulder proper, because real estate is too expensive). I think we could make it work in Denver too.
Pros for Boulder so far:
1) My size city! I like how I can drive through it in 20 minutes, yet it has everything we need. Big cities are ... just too big for me. I like living within an hour or so from one, so that I can go to the concert or take my kids to the museum, once a month or so.
2) Proximity to National Park - 45-50 minute drive from our house
3) Boulder's local ski area - not quite big mountain resort, but an easy way to get a skiing fix.

In your situation, though, Denver or its subburbs can be a better choice, for the reasons others have brought up. Hiking can be found all around both cities, you just need to look for specific areas and trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado