U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 04:26 PM

20,318 posts, read 37,826,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoby23 View Post
Where is a good place to buy cheap gear on sale from last year? Need ski pants and a coat. I think ill rent skis this first year.
Sports Authority claims to have deep discounts from last year's gear and clothing at the upcoming annual SNIAGRAB sale.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 07:20 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,625,935 times
Quote:
You were only able to ski 15 days last year? I am hoping to get this Summit Pass. When did the resorts open and close in 2011?
Yes, because the conditions were so poor. I bought my college-aged daughter an A Basin 4 day pass early last year. When she was home for Xmas break, we suggested waiting until Spring break because of poor conditions. When she was here for Spring break, we only used 2 of the 4 days because skiing was so mediocre. I skied in the East (NY and PA) for 25+ years, so I have no desire to ski ice or rocks here

I don't recall the exact dates, but Breck and Keystone open in Nov and close in mid-April. A Basin opened the end of Oct and closed in May. The previous year, A Basin stayed open until July 4.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:24 PM

245 posts, read 395,558 times
Thinking about getting the Epic local pass. It is currently listed at $509. It says to Buy before 9/3 to guarantee the best price. Is this true or are they just trying to sell this pass?

Old 08-23-2012, 10:53 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,200,873 times
Quote:
Thinking about getting the Epic local pass. It is currently listed at $509. It says to Buy before 9/3 to guarantee the best price. Is this true or are they just trying to sell this pass?
Last year the Epic local pass was $500, and I bought it at that price in November.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:08 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,625,935 times
Quote:
It is true. They make the same guarantee with the Spring deposit purchase. One year, when sales were slumping, the price dropped a bit from what was originally advertised.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:11 AM

Any idea what the price of the pass will go up to if I wait?

Old 08-24-2012, 04:40 PM

521 posts, read 692,450 times
Quote:
Where is a good place to buy cheap gear on sale from last year? Need ski pants and a coat. I think ill rent skis this first year.

DO NOT RENT GEAR!! That is the silliest thing I've ever heard, especially when you're talking about getting a pass. There are mulitple sites out there that sell perfectly good, brand new skis for ~$100. They are models from like four years ago but the rentals are at least that old or worse. Seriously, don't ever rent gear; it'll get so freakin' expensive after the first few times your pass will get wasted.

I'm not affiliated with these site, I've just bought some kick-ass gear from them at some point in the last eight years:

www.levelninesports.com
www.galacticsnowsports.com

Also, you can sign up at any one of the few major ski forums and get a deal from a member. I'm a member of TGR (www.tetongravity.com) but there's also www.newschoolers.com, www.alpinezone.com, www.epicski.com, as well as probably a couple others.

One other thing to keep in mind is the Boulder Sports Recycler (www.bouldersportsrecycler.com). Even if it take you an hour to get there, I highly suggest making a trip. They have everything and then some of every sport or activity you'd care to participate in while living in Colorado. The closer it gets to ski season, the more stuff will find it's way in. That place rocks. My wife and I have both been outfitted with decent winter gear for under a hundred bucks.

I'll be getting a pass to Loveland this year, as always. Wife and I have also toyed with the idea of puling the trigger on an Eldora pass as well. In any case, we'll be waiting to make sure this season isn't like the last before we buy anything.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:01 PM

[quote=SkiScree;25792528]DO NOT RENT GEAR!! That is the silliest thing I've ever heard, especially when you're talking about getting a pass. There are mulitple sites out there that sell perfectly good, brand new skis for ~$100. They are models from like four years ago but the rentals are at least that old or worse. Seriously, don't ever rent gear; it'll get so freakin' expensive after the first few times your pass will get wasted.

I wanted to rent gear for a season. Most places have it for under $200 bucks. After skis, bindings, boots and poles I'm probably looking at $500 plus.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:07 PM

601 posts, read 839,804 times
Renting is not a "silly" idea at all.
Apparently Skiscree is unaware that you can rent the whole package (skis/snowboards, bindings, boots and poles) for the entire season for less than $200. It's a great way to try out equipment and as you improve you'll have a better idea of what you want to buy. Plus, if you have any problems you can go back and have it replaced or fixed - normally at no cost.
I did that years ago when I first learned to ski. No way was I going to invest in equipment when I wasn't sure whether or not skiing was for me.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:22 AM

521 posts, read 692,450 times
Quote:
After skis, bindings, boots and poles I'm probably looking at $500 plus.

Dude, this just proves to me you didn't even click on ONE of the links I posted. Are you kidding? If you would have looked at any of those you'd see that you could get a full set-up for less than $150. Spend $25 more and get something a little better...that you own...that won't break. People saying things are going to break on you all the time are ignorant; they obviously haven't skied on anything more than beater rentals that DO break all the time. Guess what, people take care of the things they own; if you're renting it, most people beat the hell out of it. BUY used. Or, don't trust someone who's been buying and giving away skis for 15 years; it's your money. I'm just trying to help a brotha out.

I don't know why I'm offering these because I usually don't reach out to advice seekers who ignore the advice they recieve but I have a pair of 174 Head Xenon 2.0 with Look P12 bindngs, a set of poles, and, if you have a big head, a large helmet I'd be more than happy to give you so you don't waste your cash on beater rentals. I need to lay off 'til Febuary from a rugby injury anyways. Totally free, NSA. Damn near brand-new everything.

PM me if you want them. I promise I'm a nicer guy in real life. Let's meet for a beer and you can take a look at them if you want. If you like them, you take them no questions asked. I need something fatter that 78 underfoot anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
I did that years ago when I first learned to ski. No way was I going to invest in equipment when I wasn't sure whether or not skiing was for me.

Well of course renting is something you want to do when you're a beginner; we are operating off common sense, right? Since the OP started a thread about ski passes, I'm assuming (and I could be wrong, this is the internet after all) that he has had some time on skis before. I don't know anyone in their right mind that would throw down between $350 and $600 for a pass to do something he'll have no idea he enjoys doing...hence the advice given.

Bottom line - Renting is ill advised if you know how to ski and are buying a pass, and buying skis AND a pass if you're just starting out is just flat out ridiculous.

Last edited by SkiScree; 09-01-2012 at 09:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado