Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 11:01 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post

Bottom line - Renting is ill advised if you know how to ski and are buying a pass, and buying skis AND a pass if you're just starting out is just flat out ridiculous.
He's talking about a season rental. He sounds like a new skier (as has no gear). The season rental is a GREAT option for new skiers because you can trade in the gear and try other stuff out. For someone new to skiing this is a awesome, as they can slowly increase the length of their skis over the whole season.

I agree that you can get great deals on used or slightly used gear, but it sounds like the OP is pretty new to skiing and doesn't know what they want/need (like what length, width skies to get). If they have a season pass, they'll be going to the same mountains, so switching stuff out will be easy.

OP, I think your season rental idea is stellar. I did the same thing my first year and it was a very good choice. The next year I bought my own stuff cheaply because I had a much better idea of what I wanted. Then the year after that I bought a lot of better stuff.

How is buying a pass ridiculous as a beginner? I think they have the most to gain from owning a pass. Sounds like the OP has skied before (though not a lot), so they know they're interested in doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 11:02 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
This is the weekend of Sports Authority's annual SNIAGRAB<>BARGAINS sale.

Last night I was at the one on N. Academy near I-25 and it was mobbed.

BTW, Sports Authority is a Colorado chain, with it's HQ in Denver.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:04 AM

The BEST deal in CO (if they're still doing it) is the university student/employee 2 for 1 pass from Winter Park/Copper. Seriously can you beat a season pass for $200 (might be slightly more now) to two great places?
One of the two of you will need to open a new bank account with Key bank though (which is free and you can cancel at any time). If you are not affiliated with a school, try to befriend someone who is!

Old 09-01-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
This is the weekend of Sports Authority's annual SNIAGRAB<>BARGAINS sale.

Last night I was at the one on N. Academy near I-25 and it was mobbed.

BTW, Sports Authority is a Colorado chain, with it's HQ in Denver.
I never found the Sniagrab sales that great. Head up to Sierra Trading post in Cheyenne. They have better deals out of the catalog (though not as much selection). Got some brand new backcountry boots (normally $580 retail) for about $115, and I got to try them out first as their warehouse is also located there. Also, OP, Sierra is an awesome place to go for ski clothing (though the best deals will be in the summer).

I really can't recommend Sierra trading post to people enough.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:48 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,886,424 times
2nd Sports Authority on great deals and discounts. We have bought equiptment/clothing from the store in Silverton every year in the spring.
There was also a big discount outlet store in Littleton that had tons of great prices last spring (It was a Sports Authority I think)

We have also bought boots at Colorado Ski and Golf, not "super cheap" but a great price for the quality and the "fit" you etc... so for boots that is great option, no one wants sore feet!!

I have also bought skis for the kids (since they out grow them quickly) from Galactic snow sports they are old rentals that they sell for around $40.00 then take them to a local shop to tune for $35.00. They work great and so far we have used them for 3 seasons for 2 different kids, no problems! NOw, I did have to send one pair back and buy another one because the condition was pretty bad on the one pair, but all in all I was very pleased! galacticsnowsports.com

For lift tickets my brother buys the 4 pack from Copper mountian for around $140.00 I know you have to buy early though.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:41 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,315 times
21 days till snow making at Loveland !

Old 09-05-2012, 09:30 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
For lift tickets my brother buys the 4 pack from Copper mountian for around $140.00 I know you have to buy early though.
They are on sale through 12/9 @ $139. If you bought one in the spring you got an additional day.
Copper Mountain - 2012/2013 Four Pack $139

Old 09-11-2012, 11:25 AM

284 posts, read 516,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
He's talking about a season rental. He sounds like a new skier (as has no gear). The season rental is a GREAT option for new skiers because you can trade in the gear and try other stuff out. For someone new to skiing this is a awesome, as they can slowly increase the length of their skis over the whole season.

I agree that you can get great deals on used or slightly used gear, but it sounds like the OP is pretty new to skiing and doesn't know what they want/need (like what length, width skies to get). If they have a season pass, they'll be going to the same mountains, so switching stuff out will be easy.

OP, I think your season rental idea is stellar. I did the same thing my first year and it was a very good choice. The next year I bought my own stuff cheaply because I had a much better idea of what I wanted. Then the year after that I bought a lot of better stuff.

How is buying a pass ridiculous as a beginner? I think they have the most to gain from owning a pass. Sounds like the OP has skied before (though not a lot), so they know they're interested in doing it.

Thanks. I have about 5 years of skiing experience in the Northeast, but I have not skied in over 5 years. This is why I am renting the first year..would hate to spend a bunch of $ on equipment when I have no idea what i would be comfortable with.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 AM

284 posts, read 516,595 times
Just keeping the thread alive. Any new deals?

Old 09-25-2012, 12:44 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,315 times
We did this a couple of years ago, great deal

The Grandest Christmas
Experience the holidays in Crested Butte

Enjoy the "Last Great Colorado Ski Town" this holiday season and create memorable moments with friends and family while saving a bundle.

The Grandest Christmas package includes -
Four nights at the full-service Grand Lodge Crested Butte.
Three days of lift tickets for two adults and two children (17 and under)
Adventure Park Tickets
Only $999*

The limited time package is perfect for families and makes a holiday ski vacation affordable on any budget.

The Grand Lodge is Crested Butte's most popular full-service hotel and includes many fine amenities:

200 yards from the lifts
Indoor/outdoor heated pool
Spa services
Restaurant & deli
Workout facilities
Steam Room
Free Wireless Internet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado