U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 03:24 PM

50 posts, read 96,871 times

Advertisements

I have been back and forth with trying to raise a family in Colorado or move back to the congested area of Tampa, where the beaches are fabulous and we play in Mickey's backyard. I am from Delaware.. always been in love with Florida, but HATED the traffic when we lived there. It was so insane... We have been thinking of checking out Colorado.
I am looking for a place where it's very community oriented, lots of activities for families, good schools and jobs for me (I am a teacher). I have a 7 and 6 year old so I am looking for places that are good for kids to grow up in.
Nice scenery wouldn't hurt, either. I've never really even seen mountains!

Does a place like this exist?

I don't even know where to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 05:12 PM

20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
I think COLO SPGS might fit the bill, but jobs are scarce. There are other places, the Denver Metro area has any number of decent choices too.

Use our search tool to find many existing threads that contain specific into you seek, there's a lot here to like.

But the best thing you can do is come visit the Front Range, along the I-25 corridor from COLO SPGS to Fort Collins.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:24 PM

50 posts, read 96,871 times
We were planning to visit if we can find an area that fits our needs. The only thing that scares me is the lack of jobs... not sure I will find a teaching job, which is exactly like Delaware. I've been searching for 2 years. I have jobs being offered in FL, but the pay and retirement is awful.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:27 PM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesfamof4 View Post
I have been back and forth with trying to raise a family in Colorado or move back to the congested area of Tampa, where the beaches are fabulous and we play in Mickey's backyard. I am from Delaware.. always been in love with Florida, but HATED the traffic when we lived there. It was so insane... We have been thinking of checking out Colorado.
I am looking for a place where it's very community oriented, lots of activities for families, good schools and jobs for me (I am a teacher). I have a 7 and 6 year old so I am looking for places that are good for kids to grow up in.
Nice scenery wouldn't hurt, either. I've never really even seen mountains!

Does a place like this exist?

I don't even know where to start.
Try Louisville. It's been rated #1 small town in the US several times by CNN Money, has good schools, lots of community events. Dunno about the teaching jobs. They're tight everywhere.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,993,771 times
Louisville or its better suburbs might be a good suggestion if you want a fairly big city but not as big and bustling as Tampa.

Don't make mountain scenery a huge factor. Mountain activities could be but mountain scenery alone doesn't seem that important especially if or even if you have never seen mountains.

You could also consider places like Blacksburg VA or Knoxville TN or places within an hour or two. Eastern mountains, within reach of Delaware and Florida.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:08 PM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Louisville or its better suburbs might be a good suggestion if you want a fairly big city but not as big and bustling as Tampa.

Don't make mountain scenery a huge factor. Mountain activities could be but mountain scenery alone doesn't seem that important especially if or even if you have never seen mountains.

You could also consider places like Blacksburg VA or Knoxville TN or places within an hour or two. Eastern mountains, within reach of Delaware and Florida.
Louisville has 18,000 people. I am referring to Louisville, CO. It doesn't have any suburbs. It shares a zip code with Superior, CO.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:14 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,023,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Louisville has 18,000 people. I am referring to Louisville, CO. It doesn't have any suburbs. It shares a zip code with Superior, CO.
But haven't they cut down most of the trees around there to make the baseball bats?

Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,840,183 times
^^^^^^Many of the trees ar still standing because aluminum bats have been so prevalent at the lower levels of baseball. It's mostly the major leaguers who have a love afair with Louisville Sluggers.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:14 AM

18 posts, read 49,821 times
Might want to check out Durango.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:14 PM

3,806 posts, read 3,993,771 times
Sorry for my mistake. I should pick up on the small town reference but Louisville KY is in many ways a city composed of small towns and distinct neighborhoods. Both Louisville KY and Louisville Co are worthy options, depending on what you want.

(I have an authentic antique Louisville Slugger at home, just in case I feel the need for swinging it sometime.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or