U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 08:31 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
"Wasted State" has a good reputation?
Despite a reputation for being a "ski bum" school, years back Western State College (now Western State Colorado University) was considered one of the best business schools and best accounting schools in Colorado--ranked right behind DU for its accounting school. Like many of Colorado's smaller colleges, its academic reputation has gotten worse in recent years due to budgeting issues. That is affecting most all of Colorado's smaller colleges now. Colorado Mesa University is somewhat of an exception because it has grown massively in enrollment--becoming sort of the Metro State of the Western Slope, a second or third tier college for a lot of local residents.

I would also say that it is possible to get a good education at a lower tier school, and get a lousy education at a prestigious university. A lot depends on the motivation of the student. There are plenty of CU and DU grads that are complete losers and plenty of grads from little schools who are highly successful in business, industry, and government. When I read something about some kid looking for a school based on stuff like how good looking the students of the opposite sex are, how good the party scene is, how good the skiing is, or how good the surrounding scenery is, there is a good possibility that kid's motivation to get a decent education for him or herself is being subordinated in favor of having a good time as opposed to being a good student. The kids who don't grow out of that--and a lot don't--are the ones who wind up being failures in school and--often--failures later in life. I had a good time in college, but I never forgot why I was there--to get an education. It probably was a little extra motivator when I was in my early college years that flunking out also made it highly likely that you would get drafted by the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 09:49 PM

178 posts, read 463,684 times
Stay home near your friends and parents and go to a less expensive community college for 2 years. Find out what you want to do, develop some skills and then transfer to a university possibly in Colorado. Be sure to find out if your community college credits will transfer. Chances are in 2 years you won't even consider moving to Colorado but will only come here for vacations instead.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:03 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
jazzlover wrote: flunking out also made it highly likely that you would get drafted by the military.

THAT was a real motivator back in the day!

Old 08-25-2012, 10:11 AM

35 posts, read 76,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fai0607 View Post
A lot of you brought up how expensive it is, and compared to my state's tuition's.... it's a goldmine!
Same here. My local Community college's in state per credit rate is $150 HIGHER than Colorado Mountain College's OUT-OF-STATE rate.
As an in state/in district student I got my Associate's at CMC for well under $1500 per semester. It was very nice to be paid in full when I graduated.
I eventually went back east to finish a bachelor's but am considering a master's at CU Boulder as it is well under a third of the cost I would pay here (Boston area).

Old 08-25-2012, 12:07 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Despite a reputation for being a "ski bum" school, years back Western State College (now Western State Colorado University) was considered one of the best business schools and best accounting schools in Colorado--ranked right behind DU for its accounting school. Like many of Colorado's smaller colleges, its academic reputation has gotten worse in recent years due to budgeting issues. That is affecting most all of Colorado's smaller colleges now. Colorado Mesa University is somewhat of an exception because it has grown massively in enrollment--becoming sort of the Metro State of the Western Slope, a second or third tier college for a lot of local residents.

I would also say that it is possible to get a good education at a lower tier school, and get a lousy education at a prestigious university. A lot depends on the motivation of the student. There are plenty of CU and DU grads that are complete losers and plenty of grads from little schools who are highly successful in business, industry, and government. When I read something about some kid looking for a school based on stuff like how good looking the students of the opposite sex are, how good the party scene is, how good the skiing is, or how good the surrounding scenery is, there is a good possibility that kid's motivation to get a decent education for him or herself is being subordinated in favor of having a good time as opposed to being a good student. The kids who don't grow out of that--and a lot don't--are the ones who wind up being failures in school and--often--failures later in life. I had a good time in college, but I never forgot why I was there--to get an education. It probably was a little extra motivator when I was in my early college years that flunking out also made it highly likely that you would get drafted by the military.
Well of course what a person puts into the degree makes a great deal of difference. However, in my own field, nursing, I have seen differences in the quality of education between some "first tier" schools and some in the lower tiers.

The draft issue certainly motivated my brother, who went to Penn State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado