U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:58 PM

8 posts, read 39,797 times

Advertisements

i don't know if this question has been asked yet, as i couldn't find much information regarding it other than an old article from the 80's.
here it goes. i grew up here in denver, and i was told throughout my life that commerce city's water wasn't fit for drinking as it contains dangerous contaminates and carcinogens, some that can cause birth defects along with other various health problems.

anyone have any info? '

even though i grew up here, i've probably only been to commerce city a handful of times and definitely never drank the water, and don't really know anyone from there.
any info, links to outside information, or experiences/stories will help.

i know colorado's tap water in general is pretty good compared to other states, well, beside the damn rat poison they put in our tap, even though our toothpaste contains a 'desired' amount, leaving the water to go IN our body, but that's another topic all together.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 10:26 PM

347 posts, read 689,184 times
Well heres their EPA water testing results. They do have more industrial contaminents than you normally see, but their levels are moderate to very very low compared to EPA action levels. It sounds to me like you already made up your mind either way though.
http://www.sacwsd.org/index.aspx?nid=125

Last edited by ohazco; 08-28-2012 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: Was looking at Canon City originally

Old 08-28-2012, 11:52 PM

8 posts, read 39,797 times
thanks for the feedback. and i think it's because i've always had that in my mind, from childhood. i never heard anything that refuted it. i was thinking of moving to commerce city, but i'm just gathering info on the water quality. call me nit picky, but i feel if i can't drink the water, i sure wouldn't want to bathe in it, have kids who bathe in it, as water absorbs in the skin, and steam inhalation.
thanks though.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:25 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
To me, tap water in most locations is for the purpose of taking a shower, shaving, doing laundry, and washing the dishes. I don't use it for cooking or drinking. I wouldn't recommend doing so unless you body is lacking chlorine and flouride.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:47 AM

13,632 posts, read 21,483,824 times
Chlorine kills fecal bacteria and other coliforms, flouride makes my teeth clean and strong and tastes yummy, and tap water costs two-fiddy per thousand gallons.

You could order Sparklettes or Arrowhead or whatever bottled water you want for drinking, but I couldn't imagine balking at bathing in tap water... especially if it's first or second used water.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:06 AM

6,056 posts, read 7,954,291 times
The tap water in Colorado is amazing. I never buy bottled water here. When I go home to VA I buy bottled or use filtered from the tap. It doesn't taste good. Coloradians have no idea how lucky they are!

Old 09-04-2012, 11:17 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
The tap water in Colorado is amazing. I never buy bottled water here. When I go home to VA I buy bottled or use filtered from the tap. It doesn't taste good. Coloradians have no idea how lucky they are!
Agree. Our water from the city utility is amazingly good, unlike that sulfurous, rotten-egg-smelling stuff my pal in Florida gets from his well. IIRC our city water supply is snow-melt and thus pretty fresh and clean to start with.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:17 PM

4,119 posts, read 4,593,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post

Very true...I live in Florida...it smells like a pool..it stinks because you have to use bottled water for drinking-

Old 09-07-2012, 02:19 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,430,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
Well heres their EPA water testing results. They do have more industrial contaminents than you normally see, but their levels are moderate to very very low compared to EPA action levels. It sounds to me like you already made up your mind either way though.
South Adams Co. Water & Sanitation District, CO - Water Quality Reports
Some years ago, when I lived in Englewood, I lost all faith in the competency of the EPA to test drinking water.

A large pile of cedar shingles near the Englewood Water treatment plant caught fire and burned for days. The runoff from the water, the Englewood Fire Department used to fight the fire, immediately got into the city water supply. The water coming from the tap in my apartment was so foul smelling, I can't even describe it. The smell of it made me want to throw-up. It was filthy dirty, and was filled with visible black particles.

The city ordered people not to drink the water, and called in the EPA to test it. The next day the EPA showed up and tested the water. Then they went on TV to assure people that there was nothing to worry about. Yes, the water smelled bad and didn't look good, but it was perfectly safe to drink..

I didn't to even take a shower with it, let alone drink it. To the best of my knowledge, no one else was crazy enough to drink that sewerage either. Safeway was selling bottled water out of trucks in their parking lot, as fast as they could unload it for weeks.

Since then I avoid drinking any municipal water at all cost. As far as the EPA goes, if the water doesn't kill you instantly, they consider it fit to drink.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,904 times
Commerce City/Henderson CO water is extremely hard, which makes it extremely hard on faucets, appliances, shower glass doors, and sinks appear that they have been dipped or sprinkled in dried caked on hard powder. Dishes appear to have a permanent scuffed scratched look and laundry never looks clean after washing. It is rough on our ice maker breaking it three times, we've had to replace our water heater after only 5yrs, and had to have the second one serviced a year or two after installation. Even after with a new water softner system, we still have a problem with the water being too soft, meaning it has consequences too, there is not a balance to be had with this water. Too soft of water starts to make hair very limp, soap does not rinse easy, and toilet fixtures easily accumulate grime from bacteria the water is too soft to kill off. The Drains often smell like sulfer with both hard or soft water, or a little bit like sewer especially in the warmer months. We are not able to wash our vehicles in the driveway or else they will look more dirty after washing due to all the hard water that sticks and drys to white spots a hard white substance I believe may be calcium. The health of our teeth has declined, suffering breakage and having a grayish tint. I will honestly say the water has effected our quality of life as we knew it to be before moving to Henderson, but through the recession in 2008 and our children growing in the schools we have found it difficult to move, but we continue to pay the consequences daily. We thought there would come a time that the water would improve, but after 13yrs. it has not. I would be very curious what other residents experience, and how they deal with the quality of water!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or