Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 10:42 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times

Advertisements

87 ROOFER: Could be the lack of an ocean. Could be similar to the Las Vegas syndrome, where LOTS of people stay a few years and move because it's a 1-industry town, gambling, and thus not the rich variety of things to do and places to see found in most major cities. Denver for sure DOES have a lot of variety, but is landlocked w/out an ocean. Even St Louis and Kansas City have "great" rivers. Plenty here to keep most people happy.

Our national culture has a lot of mobility built in; if you're bored, move somewhere else; if there's a better job over yonder, then move over there; if you don't like the weather, move to where it suits your clothes.

s/Mike

Old 10-06-2007, 10:45 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I've got tix for today, game 3. Hopefully, won't be a game 4 of this series.
nope, all this game needs is a dust pan. These guys are actually good.

I guess we have decided that there really is no reason to leave Colorado, thats my final answer and I don't need a life line.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:16 AM

106 posts, read 431,721 times
It's hard to say why people leave. The weather here is very dry, and may be very cold for you if you come from some place down south or from California. The people are different here, why they aren't as friendly as some of the small town people from the mid-west they are MUCH friendlier than people from big cities (and 98% of California's).

We moved here about 4 yrs ago now, and trust me... we aren't moving out anytime soon. My wife misses the oceans, and I do too. But I've found I'm much more of a "Mountain man" than I am a big city/ocean kind of guy.

I can say though, if you don't like to shovel snow be careful where in Colorado you move to. If you are careful than snow shoveling will be just a minor thing you do (on average) a few times a year. If not... Break out the snow tractor

OO And as for teams.... I am NOT a Bronco fan. Never will be either. The Ava's and the Rockies filled a gap in my sports team fanship so they are added to the list. However, I will always be a 49'ers and Angel's fan. If you don't like that... come on over, grab a beer from the keg, sit down watch the game and we can make fun of each others team (Cause that's what is actually fun about watching sports).

Old 10-06-2007, 04:11 PM

3 posts, read 16,861 times
I grew up in Boulder, Colorado and lived there until I was 25. I got the hell out when I realized I was never going to make enough money to buy a house. I don't know what it's like now, this was 6-7 years ago, and the average house in Boulder was like $400,000.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCheeze View Post
It's hard to say why people leave. The weather here is very dry, and may be very cold for you if you come from some place down south or from California. The people are different here, why they aren't as friendly as some of the small town people from the mid-west they are MUCH friendlier than people from big cities (and 98% of California's).

We moved here about 4 yrs ago now, and trust me... we aren't moving out anytime soon. My wife misses the oceans, and I do too. But I've found I'm much more of a "Mountain man" than I am a big city/ocean kind of guy.

I can say though, if you don't like to shovel snow be careful where in Colorado you move to. If you are careful than snow shoveling will be just a minor thing you do (on average) a few times a year. If not... Break out the snow tractor

OO And as for teams.... I am NOT a Bronco fan. Never will be either. The Ava's and the Rockies filled a gap in my sports team fanship so they are added to the list. However, I will always be a 49'ers and Angel's fan. If you don't like that... come on over, grab a beer from the keg, sit down watch the game and we can make fun of each others team (Cause that's what is actually fun about watching sports).
You know, I thought I would miss the ocean too, but when I think about it, our family usually only went about 2 times a year anyway up in Washington and Oregon. My family lives on the west coast, so I will still see the coast at least once a year. It was cold alot of the time in the Pac NW at the coast, so we usually got there, walked around shivering for about 2 hours and went home. In my five months in Texas, I went down to Corpus Christi. The water was very warm and enjoyable. Too bad it was in Texas. Ill take the sunshine and No coast over the Pac NW 9 months of Clouds with my occasional trip to the coast. Well Got to go watch my new team "THE ROX" who are 5 games from the World series. GO ROX GO BRONX

Old 10-07-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I've got tix for today, game 3. Hopefully, won't be a game 4 of this series.
saaaaaaaaaaaaaaawweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!!!!!! OUTSTANDING GAME. I was chewing my nails like I did during "the Drive"

Old 10-26-2007, 11:47 PM

5 posts, read 14,731 times
Too dry, too brown, too rural, too landlocked. Not much to do for entertainment unless you go to Denver or the Springs.
Many drivers are rude and people are not very friendly. Had to move here from the Midwest...not by choice....and I've tried to be friendly, but seems people...in this part anyhow...don't take kindly to transplants with accents.
Jobs aren't that great either.
That's just my observation of why someone would not want to stay here...

Old 10-27-2007, 07:28 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87roofer View Post
I hear a lot of people move to Colorado then move back within five years.
From whom did you hear this? How do you know they aren't lying to you? Do you have data or statistics to support this?

Old 10-27-2007, 07:42 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlilac View Post
...and I've tried to be friendly, but seems people...in this part anyhow...don't take kindly to transplants with accents.
If someone has problems with one or two people, then maybe the problem is with those one or two persons. But if someone has problems with lots of different people, then maybe the problem is, well, ahh, not lots of different people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlilac View Post
Jobs aren't that great either.
What skills to you have?

Old 10-27-2007, 10:21 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
From whom did you hear this? How do you know they aren't lying to you? Do you have data or statistics to support this?
Here's a report from the Census Bureau reflecting state-to-state migration from 1995-2000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado