Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 10:22 AM

385 posts, read 323,794 times

Advertisements

I moved into my new house about six weeks ago near Ridgway, CO. The neighborhood is located about 8700-8900' above sea level. The house is about 930 sq. foot (just two bedrooms), and has electricity and propane heating.

I have already had the propane company come out and fill up my tank. I have a 250 gallon tank, and when I look at the gauge, it reads about 80%. (I assume that is as full as they could get it.) I haven't used any of it yet . . . yes, it is getting cold at night, but it is manageable, and I don't want to start drawing down on the propane this early in the fall.

The propane company choose the size of the tank, and I think they roughly approximate size of tank to the square footage of the house. (I am assuming they wouldn't supply a 250 gallon tank for a 3000 sq. foot house.)

1) I recognize that propane usage is going to depend on the coldness of the winter and the temperature one seeks to maintain in the structure being heated. I probably would aim to keep it around 60 to 65 in the house. Does it seem reasonable that I might make it through the winter with, let's say, at most, one refill?

The propane company warns that one has to anticipate refills (last minute calls can result in delays and higher costs), and that a path has to be cleared to the tank. And yes, seasonal weather prediction can be tricky.

2) I was thinking of purchasing a oil-filled radiant heater to minimize my propane usage. From my reading, these seem to be slightly more energy efficient than space heaters (insofar as oil is heated and has more staying heating power), and I could use it to heat the bedroom I spend most of my time in (and not having to heat the entire house constantly to "comfort level"). And I could use it now to put off starting to draw down my propane.

Should I shoot for a 1500 watt maximum radiant heater? Any specific recommendations as to which one or brand -- as with most U.S. consumerables, they aren't made to last. :^( . . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 09:53 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
It's very common to use the propane to keep the house warm enough and then an efficient space heater in the one room you are in as a way to lower your over all energy costs. Since the oil filled radiant heater uses electricity it will also help you use far less propane.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:11 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
I envy you for living in paradise. When I lived in Ridgway one winter it was 44 below zero at night. Daytime highs can reach a balmy 10 below zero. I would suggest you ask around town, see about putting in a small wood burning stove or pellet stove.

Might want to join the Facebook Ridgway page and ask there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/158428584190206/

Old 10-06-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I envy you for living in paradise. When I lived in Ridgway one winter it was 44 below zero at night. Daytime highs can reach a balmy 10 below zero. I would suggest you ask around town, see about putting in a small wood burning stove or pellet stove.

Might want to join the Facebook Ridgway page and ask there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/158428584190206/
I forgot to mention in my original post that I have, as a backup, an Osburn 900 wood stove: https://www.osburn-mfg.com/en/produc...00-wood-stove/

It is the smallest in the line, but its heat range is 250-1000 sq. ft. I am fairly certain that backup heating is required by code (it only makes sense that everyone has a backup heating option, should the electricity go out).

I hope it doesn't get as cold as you mention in your post. And I am fairly certain that winters like that are, except as an rare aberration, a thing of the past. Here is article about the region heating up that was published in the Durango Herald in September 2019: Region heating up, experts say - The Durango Herald

Despite the record snowfall from last winter, the summertime highs have taken their toll on the snow pack. Over the course of the summer, Ridgway Reservoir is almost back as low as it was before last winter's snowfall.

Old 10-06-2019, 05:46 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
Why use it as just a back up? I'd be stocking up on firewood and use it as a supplement when it gets really cold. Not only is it going to help your propane bill, wood stove fires are just cool.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:59 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I would stock up on firewood and also get a heated mattress pad, we have this one from Costco and it makes a huge difference to climb into a warm bed. https://www.costco.com/Sunbeam-Premi...100136905.html

Don't have any advice on what space heater to use, I'm lucky to have gas heat and a really well insulated house, generally we keep it around 60 during the day while at work, about 68 for a few hours in the evening and then 62 when we go to bed.

Ridgeway is a beautiful area, embrace the winter and it will be fine, January always gets a bit tough for me but soon enough March comes and daylight savings makes me very happy.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:49 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
I don't see anything wrong with propane heat.

If you're cold, fire it up. See that everything works fine.

You are correct about 80% being full.

Pellet stove heating was the way to go back in the day, not sure if it's still the tops economically and efficiency-wise for someone in your type of environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
I forgot to mention in my original post that I have, as a backup, an Osburn 900 wood stove: https://www.osburn-mfg.com/en/produc...00-wood-stove/

It is the smallest in the line, but its heat range is 250-1000 sq. ft. I am fairly certain that backup heating is required by code (it only makes sense that everyone has a backup heating option, should the electricity go out).

I hope it doesn't get as cold as you mention in your post. And I am fairly certain that winters like that are, except as an rare aberration, a thing of the past. Here is article about the region heating up that was published in the Durango Herald in September 2019: Region heating up, experts say - The Durango Herald

Despite the record snowfall from last winter, the summertime highs have taken their toll on the snow pack. Over the course of the summer, Ridgway Reservoir is almost back as low as it was before last winter's snowfall.
Ok, let's consider this update...

I guess stock up on some wood, maybe some pine and some better more dense stuff too.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:57 AM

On firewood, since I am using the stove only as backup, I was advised that aspen would be a good choice because it burns "cleaner" (less buildup in the flue).

I recognize that aspen burns quicker as well. Anyway, this is the advice I have received. I have a couple of cardboard boxes full of aspen in the house (one box is more kindling), and I have begun to accumulate more aspen beneath my front porch. I will place a tarp over it to keep it dry in the winter (I built a foundation of rocks so the wood would not lay on the ground.)

Old 10-07-2019, 10:46 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
IIRC, Pine is known to be heavy with tars that gunk up a chimney flue ... we've all heard of pine tar / resin. Happened to my FIL who needed his chimney flue relined as a black ooze was seeping out through the bricks. He uses a wood stove as the primary heat source for his WV home. He even built a pole barn that would easily fit 3 cars just to hold his wood supply under cover and out of the weather.

I once saw a chimney fire in my suburban neighborhood. What a show, a shower of sparks exited the chimney looking like a fourth of July fireworks extravaganza ... surely a build up of gunk from pine or a long-term lack of having the chimney cleaned.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:58 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
After a couple of wood stoves, I have always heard that it has be to hardwood and no pine for sure for the reasons mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado