U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 03:03 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,471,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Well, my cell phone doesn't have GPS and I don't have one in the car so that should be interesting for them. Besides, my mileage is so low that I should get a refund from the state on my registration fees.
Your cell phone doesn't have to have GPS. Your location can be tracked just as well by the cell phone towers you connect to. And yes all that information is being logged and stored in computers too. Big brother is watching you always.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 08:30 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,065,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Thats not the point. The point is that they are using your tax money to spy on you. And humans can't shift through trillions of pieces of benign information, but computers can. You should be asking yourself, why they are collecting all this information on you.
They already have it as I have a US govt clearance.

They are not spying on you or "tracking" you. It's merely reading plates and picking out those that have expired tags or wanted drivers to alert the officer on board.

I'm all about civil liberty and not having unreasonable demands placed upon citizens. I do not believe citizens need to answer to police about where they are going or what they are doing or owe police an explanation as long as they are not on someone elses private property or up to no good. With a system like this though, I think it actually makes it better on citizens as it is identifying to traffic police cars that have issues or drivers that have warrants. It helps police to shift through all of the people going about their business and identify problem drivers.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:16 PM

2,867 posts, read 7,114,523 times
I'm probably already on some sort of DHS watch list anyway....

Old 09-07-2012, 11:22 PM

10,600 posts, read 11,699,729 times
Quote:
That is one of the most stupid statements I have ever heard in my lifetime. Only in a police state is freedom of movement considered to be a privilege. If it's a privilege then the government could revoke any or everyones drivers license at anytime they wish. Why do you think the Nazis took away the rights to Jews to drive? The founding fathers of this country would be turning over in their graves to hear a basic human right like that, being called a privilege.
You can move all you want, but having a driver's license is not a right, it's a privilege. Thanks for calling my statement stupid, I appreciate it. You are equating driving in Denver to the Nazi persecution of the Jews? Wow. A bit extreme I think. It is NOT a basic human right to drive around.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:48 PM

9,189 posts, read 16,589,167 times
It's not 1984 anymore. We've moved beyond that! ):

Old 09-08-2012, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
They already have it as I have a US govt clearance.

They are not spying on you or "tracking" you. It's merely reading plates and picking out those that have expired tags or wanted drivers to alert the officer on board.
Did you even read the article, or are you just in total denial?

From the article:

Colorado Springs police reports show that use of license-plate readers has allowed the city’s police department to construct a searchable databank containing hundreds of thousands of license plates belonging to ordinary drivers, with each entry disclosing when, and where, police last spied a certain vehicle.

They absolutely are tracking ordinary law-abiding citizens, and keeping a database of their movements. It's not debatable. Police all over the country acknowledge, this is what they are doing. This is big-brotherism at its worst. Your tax money is being used to spy on you.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
You can move all you want, but having a driver's license is not a right, it's a privilege. Thanks for calling my statement stupid, I appreciate it. You are equating driving in Denver to the Nazi persecution of the Jews? Wow. A bit extreme I think. It is NOT a basic human right to drive around.
Your view point is what sounds extreme to me. As a free human being, I take offense to you telling me that I don't have a right to drive on the public roads that I pay taxes to support. I think you need to read up on the constitution a little bit.

What you advocate is the same exact thing that the Nazis did. The Nazis persecuted Jews by preventing them from driving. Thus preventing them from moving freely. You are advocating that driving is a privilege granted only by the government, and that the government has a right to prevent people from driving. That is the same persecution that the Jews suffered under the Nazis. If driving is a privilege, then riding public transportation is a privilege. Next walking on a public street is a privilege. Breathing air is a privilege. Then we are just basically just prisoners in out home. Thats is not the principles that United States was founded on.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:36 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,065,986 times
Quote:
Did you even read the article, or are you just in total denial?

From the article:

Colorado Springs police reports show that use of license-plate readers has allowed the city’s police department to construct a searchable databank containing hundreds of thousands of license plates belonging to ordinary drivers, with each entry disclosing when, and where, police last spied a certain vehicle.

They absolutely are tracking ordinary law-abiding citizens, and keeping a database of their movements. It's not debatable. Police all over the country acknowledge, this is what they are doing. This is big-brotherism at its worst. Your tax money is being used to spy on you.
From what I could read, I couldn't tell if that was totally confirmed or not.

If they do have a database, then it needs to be purged.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:00 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,486,879 times
ryanek9freak wrote: I'm probably already on some sort of DHS watch list anyway....

We ALL are!

KaaBoom wrote: Your view point is what sounds extreme to me. As a free human being, I take offense to you telling me that I don't have a right to drive on the public roads that I pay taxes to support. I think you need to read up on the constitution a little bit.

I'm guessing that Jim is merely referring to the statement in the drivers manual where it informs us that driving is a privelege. From the perspective of paying taxes, then it is a right in my mind too....as long as you can do what it takes to pass the driving test. Even with the driving test, there are still alot of incompetent drivers on the road, and there would be even more without a drivers test administered at the level of the government. A drivers test is a necessary evil in my mind.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 09-08-2012 at 12:08 PM..

Old 09-08-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
From what I could read, I couldn't tell if that was totally confirmed or not.
You don't believe the Colorado Springs Gazette? Don't you think the Colorado Springs Police Department would have issued a statement denying the allegations, if the story was not true?

Quote:
If they do have a database, then it needs to be purged.
Getting them to purge the database is going to be easier said then done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado