Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 07:04 PM

289 posts, read 774,346 times

Advertisements

The leaves are starting to turn in the Silverton area, but the area around Ouray is still a little behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,671,690 times
My husband and I are in Colorado visiting right now and had to change our plans to drive through the SW and Rockies a week earlier than we originally planned. I was pleasantly surprised at how early the aspens are changing! We drove down to Santa Fe and Taos on the 4th and 5th and there wasn't really any change that far south, but as we drove north towards Durango and Ouray the aspens started changing. By the time we made our way through the Rockies, via Hwy. 550, 50, 24, and 285, the change was almost peak. What a treat, as it's been 5 years since I've lived in Colorado and experienced my favorite time of year!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:03 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,113,559 times
Photo on Steamboat's Facebook page this morning https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Old 09-12-2012, 02:03 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,974,679 times
Wink Present status Peak to Peak & Summit County

It is a real mixture right now color-wise, and of course varying from one area to the next.

One contemplating an excursion along the Peak to Peak Scenic Byway, or to and within Summit County, would not be entirely disappointed, and in areas see some quite good autumn color. But very much a mixture, with the leafs of some trees having turned more brown than yellow, some green and yet to turn, and others bright to golden yellow at or just past full peak color.

In other words, if scheduling weekend excursions, this coming one should prove a lovely drive in many places. If perhaps the feeling one might have waited another week. The difference could be whereas often a beautiful contrast between that green and yellow now, in about two weeks perhaps more that fully near peak color or even beyond. It may or not as rapidly change.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:56 AM

463 posts, read 1,171,244 times
Here's a distance shot of Mt Princeton on the morning of September 13th. The aspens higher up in elevation turn quicker since it's cooler higher up. It's a little hard to see in this shot but there are aspen groves near the base of the mountain that are just starting to turn while the groves up higher are in full color.
Attached Thumbnails
Status of Leaves / Fall Color in the High Country - 2012-sept13.jpg  

Old 09-13-2012, 08:30 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,113,559 times
The Forest Service has activated the fall foliage hotline (800-354-4595) and a few ranger districts around Colorado have now filed fall color reports. Region 2 - Home

Old 09-13-2012, 09:21 AM

463 posts, read 1,171,244 times
Default Snow September 13th, 2012

Here's the same shot after the clouds cleared from the summit. Our first high country snow of the season (at least the first one that amounted to anything). There's a "Where's Waldo" antelope in the gulley.
Attached Thumbnails
Status of Leaves / Fall Color in the High Country - 2012-sept13ant.jpg  

Old 09-13-2012, 02:11 PM

244 posts, read 666,138 times
Oh, to have those colors. That's one of the reasons that we will be moving. I would love to have actual seasons.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:01 PM

350 posts, read 846,201 times
People please don't take this the wrong way... I fully believe Colorado is one of the more beautiful states in the country. But I must say that I don't quite understand traveling to Colorado to see the "fall color" here. This is at least one area that I think Colorado is far down the list on. A patch of aspens turning yellow is nothing worth traveling hundreds or thousands of miles to see, when you could go see scenes like this in Virginia, Vermont, Michigan, etc. I guesse maybe if its not all about the color, but just what the yellow adds to the already pretty landscape... but I have met people who think Aspens turning yellow is the most amazing thing ever... I have to think they have never been east in the fall.

Last edited by ohazco; 09-14-2012 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-14-2012, 02:56 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,991,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
People please don't take this the wrong way... I fully believe Colorado is one of the more beautiful states in the country. But I must say that I don't quite understand traveling to Colorado to see the "fall color" here. This is at least one area that I think Colorado is far down the list on. A patch of aspens turning yellow is nothing worth traveling hundreds or thousands of miles to see, when you could go see scenes like this in Virginia, Vermont, Michigan, etc. I guesse maybe if its not all about the color, but just what the yellow adds to the already pretty landscape... but I have met people who think Aspens turning yellow is the most amazing thing ever... I have to think they have never been east in the fall.
I will respond to this in my view. I don't think it's just the fall colors, it's the fall colors combined with the vistas of Colorado that don't exist on the east coast (in the same ways)

For example:

Alpine lakes, 14000FT snow capped mountains, and fall colors

Tall mountains and wide open sweeping vistas, very uncommon in the east

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado