U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which town would you rather live in?
Durango 34 60.71%
Montrose 22 39.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 06:12 PM

2,772 posts, read 3,459,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Never been to either, but Montrose seems more my taste. The town looks slightly larger to me.

It is larger in official town land area. About 2/3rds larger in fact according to the Census. But Durango is 70% denser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Wrong. Durango has a larger population.
Durango has the larger metro area population by 10,000 but actually Montrose has the bigger city population by almost 3,000.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:01 PM

5,377 posts, read 7,665,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Wrong. Durango has a larger population. Not that larger population makes Durango more desirable--it makes it less desirable in my book.

Both towns have more than their share of a combination of transplant, trust-funder, and/or obnoxious yuppie phonies, but Durango definitely has the edge in that department. Enough so, that, in both towns, a lot of the old-line residents have chosen to move elsewhere.
I did not know that. However, I was talking more about the land area and how it felt like a big city because of the area. Monstrose has decent shopping options that Durango doesn't seem to have. To me, Montrose looks like a suburb, and Durango looks like a small town. Since i haven't been to either, my assumptions may be inaccurate.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:44 AM

178 posts, read 464,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Bound View Post
Here's a poll comparing two towns on the western slope. Please don't turn this into a "town bashing" thread and try to be objective when answering the question. Here's a few factors to consider:

Location (with respect to other cities)
Schools
Scenery
Affordability
Dining options
Shopping
Traffic
Neighborhoods
Housing options
Outdoor activities

I'll let others chime in before I give my opinion.
Both towns are isolated but Durango seems to have a little more shopping than Montrose. If you're not used to isolation, it will eventually bother you once the novelty of moving wears off. Being close to Junction is a benefit but it is still over an hour drive from my home just outside of Montrose. Don't forget you have to slow down when you drive through Olathe and Delta on your way north.

I prefer Montrose Scenery because much of Durango is surrounded by hills and I can't see as far. Most people seem to prefer Durango scenery over Montrose.

Montrose is more affordable.

More dining options in Durango but the last time I was there we couldn't get a seat until we waited 30 minutes.

I lived in Phoenix, (hell), for 2 years and the traffic in downtown Durango was just as bad as the super stack where the 10 and 17 meet in south Phoenix. Actually, I would rather take on the stacks during rush hour in Phoenix than try to get through all the confused tourists in Durango or Flagstaff.

Not all neighborhoods in the montrose area are transplants/yuppie/trustafarian types. I've spent most of my life living outside the city limits in the country and that is how I live now in Montrose. People in the country can be a little quirky, including me, so carefully check out the area first!

I live in Montrose because I love the outdoors. Two years in Phoenix almost killed me! Hiking, fishing, kayaking, hunting, camping etc....

I think most people would prefer Durango if they had the money. I prefer a more rustic life further from life's comforts and the bright lights of the city.

Schools: I'm very happy with the elementary school my daughter attends. The teachers are good for a small town and I also take an active role in her learning.

If I suddenly won the lottery and had a large amount of money I would stay in Montrose. I believe most people would move to Durango

Old 09-12-2012, 11:58 AM

9 posts, read 16,171 times
As I am one of aforementioned unusual people that have lived in Durango for 51 years, I feel qualified to answer at least the Durango portion.
Durango is at least 4 hours away from a major metro area (Albuquerque). I personally would never, ever travel to ABQ for any reason so, in reality, we are 6.5 hours from Denver.
Schools are ok. Both of my kids graduated and went to college after DHS. The schools are starting to get more and more crowded. Classes sizes at DHS were about 15-20 kids per class room in the early 2000's and are now more like 30-35
Affordibility - um no. The old saying is how do you leave Durango with a million dollars? Bring 2 millions dollars. Everything is more expensive here from housing to food to gas etc. I try shopping outside of this area for anything that is a big purchase.
Dining options - lots of high end (in my opinion) restaurants. I find it hard to spend $60 on dinner for two so we just don't go out.
Shopping - well we do have Walmart, Bed, Bath and Beyond and TJ Maxx. I like said earlier, I do my shopping outside of Durango.
Traffic is awful. these roads were great 20 years ago but now are so conjested that I have to add on extra time every day just to get around.
Neighborhoods run the gamat. From young, hip professionals to crappy rentals. Houses are very expensive here. Rentals are just as expensive if you can find a decent one.
Outdoors - anything and everything you like to do. Come and be one of the "fun pigs" that have taken over this town in their spandex and snooty attitudes. (sorry that had to say it! Lots of us have the same opinion!)

Old 09-12-2012, 01:04 PM

226 posts, read 472,857 times
Can somebody elaborate more on shopping in both towns?

Old 09-12-2012, 02:11 PM

9 posts, read 16,171 times
Durango has the following big box stores: WalMart, Office Depot and Home Depot. We also have a JC Penneys, a couple of chain clothing stores for teens, a Bed, Bath and Beyond, Pier One, TJ Maxx and a very small Sears with nothing other than electronics, craftsman tools, home appliances etc. We have lots of touristy shops like t-shirts and gifts. For food shopping, we have an Albertson's and 2 city Market's (part of Kroegers) as well as a Vitamin Cottage and 2 health food stores.

Montrose has WalMart, Office Depot and Home Depot. They also have a large JC Penneys, Target, Sports Authority, Sears, Murdoch's, and several smaller community based shops. They have several food shopping choices like Durango has.

That being said, I like shopping in Montrose when I happen to be up that way. Maybe it's just because it's a different area. I wish we had a Target in Durango since I like it better than WM.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:19 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,107,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
Can somebody elaborate more on shopping in both towns?
If you like a bunch of trinket shops filled with a bunch of overpriced crap for tourists, then Durango is your town. Beyond that, it has the usual chain retailers found in most any other town of, say, 20,000 people. No Sam's Club, no Costco, and not many of the more specialized chain retailers. If people think that anyplace outside of the Front Range metro areas in Colorado is going to have shopping comparable to those metro areas, then they just need to get over that.

Montrose has about the same selection of chain retailers, but without the complete proliferation of tourist shops. Most people in Montrose go to Grand Junction for a lot of major shopping. Honestly, I don't see how some of the chain retailers that built "big boxes" in Montrose (Target, JC Penney's, etc.) manage to stay in business there. When I go in them, quite often the help outnumbers the customers. They have managed to put most of the independent full-service retailers in town out of business, though.

In most of rural Colorado, the biggest shopping "outlet" is the UPS truck. Online retailing is where most people get any specialized stuff now.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:33 PM

UPS and Fed Ex must be sending a fair amount of stuff out of these communities too. Montrose: 8 UPS outlets, 6 Fed Ex. Durango 15 UPS, 12 Fed Ex. Some share of it from exporting from the region small businesses and telecommuters. I understand that it also is a extra shingle that the local businesses can hang out to try to get other business but still it would seem that the traffic is both ways and I am not sure which is larger.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:47 PM

16,178 posts, read 20,184,521 times
I lived in Durango for a couple years in the late 1960's. I do trips to Ridgway every other week to visit friends and shop a lot in Montrose. I agree with Jazzlover regarding the Target and Penney's stores there. I second guessed them opening up then and still do. Ditto Office Depot. Montrose has the option of Grand Junction for more shopping choices. Durango's option is Farmington. Both drives are pretty similar in miles driven.

Regarding my personal preference, it used to be Durango four decades ago. Three decades ago I switched to Montrose. I enjoy fishing and there is much more spots in Montrose than Durango-much more. I also enjoy concerts on a large variety of music genres. Durango gets the nod here as Ft. Lewis College has brought in a lot of acts over the years and the venue at the college is decent. The Pavilion in Montrose is a good venue too but very few concerts regarding name artists play there. I'm not sure why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado