U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which town would you rather live in?
Durango 34 60.71%
Montrose 22 39.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 12:32 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,638,671 times

Advertisements

Just returned from a "fact-finding" trip to Western Colorado to consider for retirement. Went through GJ, Montrose and Durango. I have a lot of roots in the area with the majority of family still living there so have been to these areas throughout the years and seen the changes. Out of the three, I would pick either Montrose or GJ. They have all changed so much in the past seven years - whole ends of each town swallowed up with big box and chain stores. Yuck! Seemed to me like Durango had lost a lot of its charm since my last visit - way too much traffic and layout of new developments made no sense. Seems like much of America these days has been developed thoughtlessly and is really quite ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 06:57 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,483,879 times
orngkat wrote: Seems like much of America these days has been developed thoughtlessly and is really quite ugly.

I agree with the 'ugly' part, but not the 'thoughtless' part. I believe the mega corporations behind the development purposely want to uglify the environment to lower morale and make people even easier to control.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:31 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Just returned from a "fact-finding" trip to Western Colorado to consider for retirement. Went through GJ, Montrose and Durango. I have a lot of roots in the area with the majority of family still living there so have been to these areas throughout the years and seen the changes. Out of the three, I would pick either Montrose or GJ. They have all changed so much in the past seven years - whole ends of each town swallowed up with big box and chain stores. Yuck! Seemed to me like Durango had lost a lot of its charm since my last visit - way too much traffic and layout of new developments made no sense. Seems like much of America these days has been developed thoughtlessly and is really quite ugly.
You have pretty much described the kind of ugly automobile-dependent slop that is ruining just about every significant town in rural Colorado. Of course, the transplants from metropolitan suburbia--and that is just about all of them--don't know any better. Coming from the same kind of slop and brainwashed to think that it is good, they have no clue about the charm that small towns in Colorado--and most of the country, for that matter--had before the slimeball developers imported their ruinous suburbia-modeled development patterns to those small towns.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:07 PM

220 posts, read 430,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I agree with the 'ugly' part, but not the 'thoughtless' part. I believe the mega corporations behind the development purposely want to uglify the environment to lower morale and make people even easier to control.
Thanks Cosmic. I got a good chuckle out of this. I'm not sure if it's purposeful for the sake of lowering morale. I'm betting it's more money driven. It's really sad though. It seems these days that the older neighborhoods in just about every city are prettier as well as more pedestrian friendly whereas the burbs are filled with big brown box stores and bland cookie cutter residential architecture.

It's time to take a stand ladies and gentleman. I say we harass our city councilman and city engineers until they promise to put more thought into their development standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
they have no clue about the charm that small towns
I agree, but it isnt just small towns that are losing their charm. Mid town Kansas City MO, Prairie Village and Overland Park are filled with green parks, beautiful early 1900's homes and small pedestrian friendly neighborhoods but as soon as you get out to burbs like Olathe and Grandview its pukesville. Phoenix is the same way only much more so.

Last edited by GSXRScott; 10-08-2012 at 01:17 PM..

Old 10-13-2012, 12:21 PM

352 posts, read 566,348 times
Last time I was in Durango I was amazed at the amount of diesel pickups. Diesel pickups driving down main street, idling loudly at lights, idling loudly in parking lots, they were everywhere. The sound was deafening and the diesel stink hung down on the town like a fog.

I've always driven pickups but never a diesel. I really dislike the sound and stink (I was in construction for 20 years and many times asked politely when a sub left his diesel truck running for over an hour "could you please turn that thing off?")

Don't know about the diesel truck index in Montrose but at least the area is more spread out.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:06 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,853,810 times
Default Poor diesel Durango

Per diesel pickups, I cannot imagine Montrose would have any fewer of these things. Although Durango resides in a canyon of sorts, so the resultant air pollution and noise could be more obvious.

To be fair, I'll begin by saying that diesel vehicles—and even pickups—have their place. Obviously so, thus why semi-trucks and most other large trucks use diesel engines exclusively. Less maintenance, longer wearing, and overall more efficient when lots of torque and brute force required. For a contractor or same, it would be the vehicle of choice as well in many cases.

Although I'm willing to bet most of the diesel pickups in a place like Durango are not involved in the trades, do not usually even see a dirt road, and likely driven by posers. In other words, drugstore cowboys who with high net worth can easily afford this more expensive option, but otherwise largely unconcerned with its utility.

I'm reminded of a place I stayed once (and one reason I eventually left) where one of the residents had one of these things, and in the bad habit of firing it up every morning about 6am or so, and then leaving it idling for at least 30 minutes before eventually returning to it to leave. Thus every other resident there subjected to this unholy racket as their morning wakeup call, seemingly near ad infinitum. Really, if some cretin thinks they have to warm up their dear truck so, then they should park it at the farthest end of any parking lot, or better yet outside of town.

But that isn't how the mindset of this particular creature often works, and more usually exactly the opposite. It may surprise one to learn that due law they are not mandated to shut off their vehicle while refueling, like everybody else, and often will not, so one will immediately know when one of these guys shows up. That is just unconscious. But the reason many of them probably have these things is PRECISELY because they are so offensive.

Diesels are far more common in Europe, and automakers such as Mercedes Benz have long since figured out how to make a diesel powered luxury car which can largely pass no different than any other. The object here being comfort and economy—not mud tires and a throbbing roar reminding all of what is presently afflicting them. But this type of creature prefers to be noticed, and must be in certain select circles to good effect, else they would seek other avenues towards advertisement of what is surely often all truck, and not much man. If one must, it is called a proper muffler, not to mention some vague measure of civility.

Anyway, learning that Durango is now infested with these things unfortunately says nothing good for that fair town, the neanderthal state of some of its inhabitants—or the well-being of all the others.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 AM

97 posts, read 101,367 times
For what it's worth, this is from the city-data profiles:

Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Durango:
93.2 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)
Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Montrose: 84.6 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)

It doesn't take much searching to see that the property/housing values in the San Juan Mts and south of them (Ouray, Silverton, Durango, Cortez, Mancos, etc) are much more expensive than the area north of them on Rte. 550 (Montrose, Delta, Olathe...). However, continuing north to Grand Junction the prices become quite steep again.

Demographically speaking, Montrose (and north) is predominately Republican. Durango (and south) is Democratic. While I'm neither one of these animals, I find that living privately on private property is respected more by Republicans (even though they are far more conservative than I appreciate). Democrats, on the other hand, seem quite meddlesome and draconian.

(Hope that doesn't start a war

Old 12-06-2012, 10:08 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,483,879 times
certainquirk wrote: I find that living privately on private property is respected more by Republicans (even though they are far more conservative than I appreciate). Democrats, on the other hand, seem quite meddlesome and draconian.

My findings are rather different. I find that ones political leaning makes no difference in this matter.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,580,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
certainquirk wrote: I find that living privately on private property is respected more by Republicans (even though they are far more conservative than I appreciate). Democrats, on the other hand, seem quite meddlesome and draconian.

My findings are rather different. I find that ones political leaning makes no difference in this matter.
I agree 100%. It's impossible to generalize and say that one group says/does this while another says/does that. Life is just not black/white this way.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:07 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,171,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
But the reason many of them probably have these things is PRECISELY because they are so offensive.
Yeah, I dont understand the mentality of these dueschbags. It's the same mentality as those duesches with motorcycles that put straight pipes on their bikes with little or no packing in the muffler. I ride a Ducati Monster but I respect my fellow man enough not to put straight pipes on it. If I did it'd be LOOOOUUD and I'm sure my neighbors would not appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado