U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:59 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,178,099 times

Advertisements

I've posted this so many times that I've lost count: The days of walking in and getting either and teaching job or nursing job in most of rural Colorado just for the asking are OVER. There aren't even enough of those jobs available to employ the local folks with teaching credentials or a nursing license. Just like every other job around, they have become highly competitive--only the best candidates are landing them. And, in most smaller communities, the people with local history and connections have a better chance. Simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 05:55 PM

103 posts, read 344,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I've posted this so many times that I've lost count: The days of walking in and getting either and teaching job or nursing job in most of rural Colorado just for the asking are OVER. There aren't even enough of those jobs available to employ the local folks with teaching credentials or a nursing license. Just like every other job around, they have become highly competitive--only the best candidates are landing them. And, in most smaller communities, the people with local history and connections have a better chance. Simple as that.
Jazzlover....I understand and agree that in many places what you said is true, but it just so happens we do have nursing positions open at the Arkansas Valley Regional Medical Center. (www.avrmc.org/) In fact, the Colorado Workforce website lists 5 job area openings in the healthcare field in La Junta alone ..and some are multiples (search on Otero County). And, as a member of the AVRMC Board, I know this to be true from our Board reports.

The La Junta School District alone hired at least 10 new staff members, and we introduced 7 of them at our community Wake-Up Breakfast in August. In addition the area districts (Swink, Cheraw, Rocky Ford, Fowler, Manzanola, Crowley County and Las Animas) all had new hires this year.

I still would encourage the original poster to do research on various areas using the tools available, and by all means visit any area they thought had potential. Unless things change drastically overnight, the information will be accurate.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:03 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,178,099 times
In teaching and nursing, the Eastern Plains towns probably have more openings than the rest of rural Colorado. No disrespect for the Eastern Plains--I personally like it out there--but it is not exactly what most outsiders think of when Colorado is mentioned. Thus, it has a harder time attracting people. Also, teaching salaries, in particular, tend to be lower in the rural areas like eastern Colorado, and that also turns a lot of people off.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:19 PM

103 posts, read 344,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
In teaching and nursing, the Eastern Plains towns probably have more openings than the rest of rural Colorado. No disrespect for the Eastern Plains--I personally like it out there--but it is not exactly what most outsiders think of when Colorado is mentioned. Thus, it has a harder time attracting people. Also, teaching salaries, in particular, tend to be lower in the rural areas like eastern Colorado, and that also turns a lot of people off.
Jazz....no argument with that. However,with our cost of living stats, housing, commute times (5 minute commute saves a lot of money when gas is $3.60 per gallon!) combined with some quality of life issues that are intangibles (rush minute versus rush hour, etc), more and more people are considering the Eastern Plains as options. At the Wake-Up Breakfast I mentioned, we introduce newcomers to La Junta, and it is amazing how many folks are starting to discover that this is a great part of the State to call home.

By the way, I have read many times in your posts about your affection for the Eastern Plains, and I appreciate it. And you are right.....people looking to move generally think of Colorado as mountains and snow. But the Agriculture of Rural Colorado (Eastern Slope and Western Slope) has been what has helped Colorado weather the rocky times of the past few years. We are one of the few communities in the State that can say that sales tax has held its own since 2009!

Old 09-10-2012, 09:20 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,686,411 times
A coach is proud of his team always, but if you are looking for a Friday Night Lights atmosphere, that doesn't really exist in Colorado. Colorado is much more ambivalent about its high school sports. There are really no areas where the whole town shows up (maybe on the eastern plains, but the towns are really small, and most teams play 6-man or 8-man football).

Old 09-10-2012, 09:42 PM

6 posts, read 10,175 times
We are definitely in the preliminary stages and I like to plan ahead. We are visiting as soon as possible, just want to map out a night or two in more than one places. We want a good feel for all that Colorado has to offer. We don't want to just hit up the tourist towns. We want to visit where it is worth living at. We are leaning towards staying east of the rockies so we can travel to family in the winter months if needed.

So far we are hearing from family, friends and websites these places:

Fort Collins - refreshing college town
Loveland - similiar to fort collins. Anything Else?
Louisville - top place to live
Castle Rock - top place to live
La Junta - plains area
Brighton?
Lafayette?
Longmont?

Old 09-10-2012, 10:04 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,150,222 times
Take a look at Palmer Lake. It's a tiny town situated at the base of the mountains northwest of Monument with easy access to I25. The location makes it possible to work in Colorado Springs, Monument, Castle Rock, or even south Denver. The town is not connected directly to any 'blob', but is about 5 miles to Monument's Home Depot, Kohl's, and Walmart.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:04 PM

6 posts, read 10,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
A coach is proud of his team always, but if you are looking for a Friday Night Lights atmosphere, that doesn't really exist in Colorado. Colorado is much more ambivalent about its high school sports. There are really no areas where the whole town shows up (maybe on the eastern plains, but the towns are really small, and most teams play 6-man or 8-man football).

I understand a coaches perspective, I'm not looking for friday night lights Texas style. However, I do believe in the positive atmosphere and school spirit provided from successful athletic programs. I think it says something about the programs and the commitment from the schools and the community.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:20 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,944,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballGuy View Post
My wife (nurse) and I (teacher) are looking for a few suggestions on a good community to live in. We love the outdoors hiking, biking, rafting, camping and boating, which explains the itch.

We are looking for a good school system with a strong football tradition for me with a hospital close for her. A town with lots to offer a young family both in the summer and winter. A farmers market or somewhere to offer fresh produce would be a huge plus. We enjoy the convience of a town, but the relaxing and welcoming feel of the country.

Any thoughts?
You might consider Grand Junction. Has everything you mentioned. Whether you and your family would like it, I think depends on whether you like small towns. Grand Junction is fairly isolated but it does have a good reputation for health care.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:53 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,494,281 times
FootballGuy wrote: My wife (nurse) and I (teacher) are looking for a few suggestions on a good community to live in. We love the outdoors hiking, biking, rafting, camping and boating, which explains the itch.

We are looking for a good school system with a strong football tradition for me with a hospital close for her. A town with lots to offer a young family both in the summer and winter. A farmers market or somewhere to offer fresh produce would be a huge plus. We enjoy the convience of a town, but the relaxing and welcoming feel of the country.

Grand Junction ( GJ ) is where I currently reside, so I concur with 80skeys that GJ is worthy of consideration. Living here will provide you with many opportunities for hiking, biking, rafting, camping and boating. GJ gets its name from the junction of the Gunnision river flowing into the mightly Colorado which flows thru town. The Colorado National Monument is on the edge of town.

GJ is indeed rather isolated from the big ciites. Denver is approx 250 to the east and Salt Lake City is about the same distance to the west. GJ is the big city for many miles around. The Amtrak line runs thru here with trains to Salt Lake City and Denver, so you don't even have to take your car. There is a local airport, but flying out of here is pricey.

GJ is a great jump off point for other outdoor locations. Within a 2 hr drive you have access to places like Ouray, Glenwood Springs, & Moab-UT. The Grand Mesa and The Powderhorn ski resort is only 45 minutes to an hour from downtown GJ. Crested Butte,Telluride, & Aspen are about 3hrs away.

My wife is a teacher in the local school system. Other than the lack of resources compared to a metro district like Virginia Beach, she speaks highly of it. The small town kids are easier to work with than the city kids of Virginia Beach.

Colorado Mesa University is located here. This is the most rapidly growing University in Colorado. The JUCO world Series is held in GJ every spring, and just recently Grand Junction landed a minor league baseball team. During the summer months there is farmers market downtown every Thursday evening, with an abundance of locally grown fruit and produce. In addition to the famous peaches, this area is also the primo wine country of the state. There are also several top notch micro-brewies in the valley.

The biggest drawback to GJ is of course....the job situation. The economy here is worse off than the Colorado economy overall. The local news stations would have us believe that things are beginning to turn around, but I'm not convinced that it's happening just yet. But with so much to offer, it's only a matter of time.

St Marys Regional Hospital is the biggest hospital for many miles around. During the health care debate, Grand Junction was recognized for having a health care model that worked quite well. Obama's been to town on several occassions. He is loved by some and despised by others. This is an area that leans heavily conservative on the political spectrum.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 09-11-2012 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado