U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 02:48 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times

Advertisements

Here's an actual article on the topic of large-animal vets.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 05:59 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Well, I know a lot of large animal vets in Colorado. The job market here is saturated. A fellow that I know who is a veterinarian in another state tells me that Colorado ranks almost dead last in the ability of large animal vets being able to make a decent living here. Why? CSU pumps out veterinarians right and left, and many of them want to stay in Colorado. As a result, there are so many practicing in Colorado that there are just not enough clients for all of them to make a living. In my community, nearly every veterinarian--most with decades of experience and established clientèle--are struggling to make a decent living. A couple have left the field for good. One went to work for USDA out of state, another retired about 10 years early and now works other jobs to make a living. Of course, the folks promoting the veterinarian schools won't tell you that.
That's interesting. I've been involved in the horse world here in Colorado since 2009, and everyone I know who owns a horse, or owns a facility, says they have a hard time finding good equine vets (which is what I want to specialize in). And, there is a shortage of food-producing animals vets overall in the US from everything I've read. I also plan to get both a B.S. and M.S. in Public Health, which will definitely give me a competitive edge, whether I make it through vet school or not. The issue of the spread of disease between humans and animals is what I want to focus on.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:26 PM

32 posts, read 108,685 times
To clarify, the field I want to go into is Pharmacy. Thus, I'm looking at colleges with a Pre-Pharm program.

Since we're on the topic of Vets and over-saturation, let me turn the topic for a second. How is Pharmacy there? Specifically, Clinical/Psychiatric Pharmacists?

Old 09-12-2012, 04:50 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,393,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
That's interesting. I've been involved in the horse world here in Colorado since 2009, and everyone I know who owns a horse, or owns a facility, says they have a hard time finding good equine vets (which is what I want to specialize in). And, there is a shortage of food-producing animals vets overall in the US from everything I've read. I also plan to get both a B.S. and M.S. in Public Health, which will definitely give me a competitive edge, whether I make it through vet school or not. The issue of the spread of disease between humans and animals is what I want to focus on.
Jazzlover has a wealth of experience and contacts in Colorado-just ask him, he'll tell you. As a matter of fact, even if you don't ask him, he'll tell you.

/sarcasm on
That being said, he is a little jaded on the state's long-term prospects, in which it appears starvation, chaos, and anarchy will reign due to newcomers. I suggest you rent 'Mad Max' for a realistic, documentary-style look of his vision to be his vision of Colorado's future, except for gasoline, substitute water. The only way to avoid it is if everyone who is a 'newcomer' to Colorado (less than 3-4 generations) immediately moves.
/sarcasm off

If vet work appeals to you, and you like the college, pursue it. It's pretty movable if it's not available in Colorado. Nobody ever said you had to stay there for the rest of your life just because you went to college there.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:15 AM

4,119 posts, read 4,593,903 times
I attended Metro then transferred to a University ( Metro was a state college then). If you are trying to become a pharm. You may want to look into Regis University or University of Colorado-Boulder ( Or Denver I believe has it as well).
I think most colleges in Colorado are great-if I had to do it again I would have attended CSU just for the fact I love Fort Collins.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide!

Old 09-12-2012, 12:01 PM

9 posts, read 16,164 times
Forget CSU, CU or Regis until you get your GPA up. I agree with the earlier poster that said to go to a community college and pump up that GPA!

Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 PM

Aha yeah, a lot of people are recommending community college. It also seems like the most cost-effective idea (since the first two years of college is liberal arts anyway)

Also, just a question for you all: I called CCD because all of their credits are guranteed to transfer to CU and I know Colorado has specific rules for in-state tuition qualification but I asked and I want to know if this is true or not because I see nothing about this anywhere in the highered.colorado.gov

I asked if I went to CCD for a year and transfer to CU-Denver if I'd be considered a CO resident for in-state tuition and he said yes. This was incredibly exciting to hear, but is it true? Because apparently I can only be considered if my parents are domiciled.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:14 AM

12,842 posts, read 24,473,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fai0607 View Post
To clarify, the field I want to go into is Pharmacy. Thus, I'm looking at colleges with a Pre-Pharm program. How is Pharmacy there? Specifically, Clinical/Psychiatric Pharmacists?
I'm not familiar with "clinical/psychiatric pharmacists." Do you mean someone who can write prescriptions for certain areas of medications, like an NP with prescriptive qualifications? I don't think there would be a pharmacist who specialized in one sort of medication.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I'm not familiar with "clinical/psychiatric pharmacists." Do you mean someone who can write prescriptions for certain areas of medications, like an NP with prescriptive qualifications? I don't think there would be a pharmacist who specialized in one sort of medication.
Clinical Pharmacists work in clinics and hospitals rather than retail. There is more patient contact and you preform multiple things such as drug therapy management, drug utilization and so on.

Psychiatric Pharmacists work primarily in drug rehab centers or psychiatric hospitals and their job is similiar pretty much except they are only dealing with detox and psychiatric medicines.

There were some subsections I didn't even know existed like Nuclear, but I'm interested in being more clinical.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:46 PM

12,842 posts, read 24,473,188 times
Thanks for the explanation. Never heard of it- maybe it's not in my state or in my medical world (which, while stellar, is often very old-fashioned).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado